Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crotchrocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2020
I was using my 2007 Macbook and I (foolishly) tried inserting a random 12V/3AMP AC adaptor into a cheap USB Hub I have whilst it was plugged into my macbook and then my macbook immediately shut off and hasn't booted back up.

I've tried removing battery and resetting the SMC, the magsafe charging cable still lights up green when plugged in but I still can't get the computer to boot.

I'm not sure if I necessarily "fried" anything but I could imagine that I may have caused some physical hardware damage to a power connection from that interaction.

If anybody knows a fix i'd greatly appreciate it, as that is a computer I do actively use and isn't damaged or display any issues otherwise.

I'm hopeful for a fix because others have dealt with similar issues with their macs of presumably similar and other models shutting off due to the powersupply/connection of cheap/aftermarket usb products and that incident feels like it performed a similar or in the same reaction to per say accidentally plugging a thunderbolt cable into the firewire port on the 2012 mac which causes it to shut down immediately, nonetheless boot back up immediately.

Excuse my prior terminology, I've read this and this sounds a lot like my situation in its symptomatology but my battery is new and is currently lighting up 4 green lights on test so the situation isnt exactly the same. I also don't have any of the knowledge/experience to do this type of repair myself or without direct instruction.

://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/71258/The+MacBook+has+the+green+light+but+doesn't+turn+on.

I also wondering if its maybe something to do with the keyboard connection or a connection issue maybe using a contact cleaning product like "Deox-it" could fix. Thanks

System Info
OSX: 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 13" (White/07)2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo (T7200)
Intro.May 15, 2007Disc.November 1, 2007
OrderMB061LL/AModelA1181 (EMC 2139)
FamilyMid-2007IDMacBook2,1
RAM4 GB UpgradedVRAM64 MB
Storage80 GB HDDOptical8X "Combo Drive

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Did you check to see if the power input requirements of the USB hub matched the power outputs of the AC adapter?

If your hub was cheaply made there's a good chance that it provided little to no upstream/downstream protection against short circuits or power surges. Often times on cheap hubs, the power leads on the hub itself go directly to the USB connector with no intermediary fuses or power filters. So I'd reckon that what happened was that the surge in power from plugging in the AC adapter burned out components on the motherboard. It could be the USB port itself, but since the machine won't boot, I'd wager that it may have directly damaged the Southbridge chip on the motherboard which handles all of the MacBook's I/O and networking.

As a last resort, you could try taking off the topcase and try directly "hotwiring" the Mac to boot up using the power pads: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...ads+for+booting+without+keyboard,+can+some+on

If that doesn't work, then there's a hardware-level issue with the Mac that can only be resolved with a motherboard replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.