Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elasticmedia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
A client has a 2009 Macbook Pro 2.23 ghz Core 2 Duo with 8 GB ram and a new SSD hard drive. First of all, I haven't been able to find a link to download a later OS, in spite of seemingly easy ways to do it when you search online. What happens every time is you arrive at the latest Mac OS Sierra page - and this computer doesn't satisfy the requirements. When I search I find many reports that say Snow Leopard is the best OS for this computer, that El Capitan or whatever will be slower. The client wants El Capitan to deal with continual feedback that her OS needs upgrading for the things she wants to do.

There are two questions: what do you think is the ideal OS for this computer and how ought I go about upgrading if I want to go that route? It is possible that she might have to purchase a lion or mountain lion or yosemite or whatever disk to upgrade farther than SL. It appears that apple sells these disks for $20 or so. Try as I might, I have not found a link to download a later installer. Sierra is a bully and it appears to prevent the display of earlier versions of the installers.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Apple changed the minimum requirements of Sierra, you need Lion or later to install it. You can still download El Capitan via this page, provided that Snow Leopard is fully updated.

El Capitan will be slower than Snow Leopard, but with 8 GB or RAM and an SSD, I think the performance should still be acceptable. Upgrading to Lion or Mountain Lion would probably be useless at this point, as these are old systems too.

Reactions: CoastalOR

elasticmedia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks KALLT a ton - I did install it and everything is fine. I am so glad you sent that link: I had completely failed in my attempt to locate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.