Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashiquor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Hi,

I recently bought a 2012 Macbook Pro 13" (because this is the last "upgradeabe").
The battery has only 300ish cycle in it, so you can say it's in pretty "good" condition,
but I feel it's depleting very fast. I'm not using it for heavy tasks, 'coz I have a dedicated desktop,
but it's running High Sierra.
My question is, is it advisable to replace the battery with a new one?

The other issue is the charger. This mbp is from the US, but i'm living in hungary.
When I plug the charger (even if i plug the charger first, and laptop as second),
it creates a huge (I mean huge) spark. I've never experienced such a phenomenon, yet I had a few laptop,
and if that was not enough, under load, the charger gives an audible electric noise.
Should I be worry about it?

I'm thinking to replace it aswell...

Any advice?

Thank You very much!

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Have you done any timing on the battery or just 'feeling'? Of course it's advisable to replace it given that it's over 5 years old now.

May as well take the charger to Apple or authenticate it. Also check the wiring in your home, and make sure you're using the correct plug. Also most transformers will give off an audible buzz when drawing a high current, nothing to be concerned with.

Ashiquor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Have you done any timing on the battery or just 'feeling'? Of course it's advisable to replace it given that it's over 5 years old now.

May as well take the charger to Apple or authenticate it. Also check the wiring in your home, and make sure you're using the correct plug. Also most transformers will give off an audible buzz when drawing a high current, nothing to be concerned with.
Thank You :)

BrittWentz

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2017
Are you using the Europe block adapter or third-party converter? My brick was US bought but i use it with the European extension cord and yes, sometimes i get that spark. Personally i think it's more of a home thing. But if you're worried just get a new adapter, you can keep that one as a spare JIC you ever need it.

Ashiquor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Are you using the Europe block adapter or third-party converter? My brick was US bought but i use it with the European extension cord and yes, sometimes i get that spark. Personally i think it's more of a home thing. But if you're worried just get a new adapter, you can keep that one as a spare JIC you ever need it.

Honestly, I don't know. I bought it second hand, and the guy in the store just gave me a charger (it's genuine apple charger).
But checking the plug, it's US (there's no "EUR" sign in plug" just 4 number. So according to Apple's info, it's US)

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Honestly, I don't know. I bought it second hand, and the guy in the store just gave me a charger (it's genuine apple charger).
But checking the plug, it's US (there's no "EUR" sign in plug" just 4 number. So according to Apple's info, it's US)

There should be a CE stamp on the charger itself, if there's nothing like that then it isn't legal. I think what they were referring to was the actual socket adapter though, the bit that comes off and is changeable depending on location.

BrittWentz

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2017
There should be a CE stamp on the charger itself, if there's nothing like that then it isn't legal. I think what they were referring to was the actual socket adapter though, the bit that comes off and is changeable depending on location.

Yeah, i meant the detachable part that connects to the actual wall, and if you were using it with a US to EU adapter like this one:

upload_2018-1-18_1-3-54.png

Because those are AWFUL and you should never use it with something like a computer. Just get the right cable accessory, you can get the official apple one for €25, and see if that fixes the problem.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Download "Coconut Battery".
Run it.
Take a screenshot of the results and post the pic here.

Ashiquor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Here it is. But I don't think the battery is manufactured in 2015 (but somewhere I read that it's not too reliable in this case)

It's said it's in good condition, but I'm not getting more than (max) 4-5 hours, with normal using.

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 19.43.20.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 19.43.40.png

Regarding the plug, we're using this type in EU, so I had to replace this part anyway, because apple recalled these.
For-Apple-MacBook-Pro-ac-power-adapter-wall-plug-duckhead-EU-European-Union-Standard.jpg_640x640.jpg

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Talk about coincidence.

I just used Coconut Battery to check MY battery (2015 MBPro 13"), and it has a cycle count of 122 -- same as yours above.

Mine shows 95.1% of design capacity.
I try to recharge regularly around the 50% mark.

With the older-style MBPro's (I have a 2010), I don't think the 4-5 hours that you're getting is "out of line".

90% is nothing to worry about.

Ashiquor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
A little update:

I bought a new charger. No huge sparks (not even a small one *knock-knock-knock*), no buzzing noise.
So it's worth a try if you have similar issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.