Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwoodfin2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I took my MBP in last Wednesday for the battery repair. It arrived at the depot today. It went from diagnosing to repairing in one day, hopefully meaning that it’s quick. The genius at the Apple Store recommended that Apple replace the top case as part of the repair program as well. Is this common practice with Apple? If so that is good news.Hopefully it comes back next week.what has the experience been for everyone here?

Attachments

• A59562F8-2A46-45A4-B598-1C9AD9C7EC15.jpeg
    A59562F8-2A46-45A4-B598-1C9AD9C7EC15.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 319

Valdna

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2017
The battery is glued in and they are too lazy to pry it open and glue the new one back in by hand :)

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I took my MBP in last Wednesday for the battery repair. It arrived at the depot today. It went from diagnosing to repairing in one day, hopefully meaning that it’s quick. The genius at the Apple Store recommended that Apple replace the top case as part of the repair program as well. Is this common practice with Apple? If so that is good news.Hopefully it comes back next week.what has the experience been for everyone here?

Yes it is common practice. The Field Replaceable Unit (FRU) is the top Aluminum case where your hands rest, keyboard, trackpad, and battery. As pointed out the battery is glued down, so this makes swapping this unit the quickest fix.

strohscw

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Austria
Yes it is common practice. The Field Replaceable Unit (FRU) is the top Aluminum case where your hands rest, keyboard, trackpad, and battery. As pointed out the battery is glued down, so this makes swapping this unit the quickest fix.
I got mine back yesterday, but they only changed the battery. The topcase had some marks and my keyboard had one missing A-sign and I was looking forward to get it replaced, but they didn´t. Would be interesting if they charge the manufacturer the full price!?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The battery is glued in and they are too lazy to pry it open and glue the new one back in by hand :)
Its not really laziness, but the work effort vs. the replacement. It takes less time to replace it then spend hours carefully removing the battery.

Reactions: jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I got mine back yesterday, but they only changed the battery. The topcase had some marks and my keyboard had one missing A-sign and I was looking forward to get it replaced, but they didn´t. Would be interesting if they charge the manufacturer the full price!?

Did Apple do the work? The issues with separating the battery are one reason they do not do just battery replacements.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Hmm I just got an email from Apple about this recall. I came here to see if it’s legit. Considering I’m having no battery issues at all, and it appears you have to ship your computer to a service center, I will pass on this recall. I thought it would be a quick fix at my local Apple store :(

redshifted

Cancelled
Oct 10, 2014
Hmm I just got an email from Apple about this recall. I came here to see if it’s legit. Considering I’m having no battery issues at all, and it appears you have to ship your computer to a service center, I will pass on this recall. I thought it would be a quick fix at my local Apple store :(

It's legit - but unfortunately it's inconvenient to get the actual repair done. I took mine to the local Apple Store. The repair work required a trip to a repair depot. It only took a couple of days (but two trips to get everything working right). They generally replace the top case including the trackpad and keyboard. Mine needed the bottom case as well.

Watch out for an expanding top or bottom case or an erratically responding trackpad.
Mine developed all those symptoms in a fairly short period of time. Back up your data if you take it in.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
You might want to consider taking it in. There was a news story on MR shortly after the recall announcement of a 2015 15" battery catching fire.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ple-initiated-battery-recall-program.2188535/

Reactions: redshifted

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I just received mine back, fresh new battery and top case (including new keys that had, obviously, had some wear and tear)
Granted mine took three weeks, but that's what happens when you have a British keyboard living in New Zealand...
But still. New battery, new keyboard, new trackpad, all for free. Can't complain on a nearly 4 year old computer.

strohscw

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Austria
Did Apple do the work? The issues with separating the battery are one reason they do not do just battery replacements.
Yes they did the work that was needed, at least my info about the system tells me it is a new battery. But I would have loved to get a new top and keyboard.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

Where was this repair done? Apple retail stores and AASPs are not allowed to remove the battery separately from the case. Hell, it's not even available as a part, and it's certainly not safe to do without the correct tools/protection.

I would check your battery, as it sounds more likely that they haven't actually repaired your laptop!

If it was done at an AASP - report it to Apple. As they may have done something dodgy.

Reactions: jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yes they did the work that was needed, at least my info about the system tells me it is a new battery. But I would have loved to get a new top and keyboard.

Something is really wrong. Go back to the Apple Store and ask them why they did not do a top case replacement.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I just had my battery replaced as part of this recall. Did it via the Apple Store in London and it was returned to me after 10 days. Looks like it was shipped to a repair centre in Poland from the UPS tracking. I have opened it up and the battery was replaced and has good charge and zero cycles. Despite what others here have said the top case was not replaced, as this had a couple of dings around the USB ports which were still present when I got the machine back. A little disappointed not to get that free repair to the case, but I really cannot complain given that the battery was reporting at 85% capacity and real world run times were dropping a fair bit. Also, one of the cells of my battery was loose and would knock on the case when moved - I suspect I had a swollen battery that caused it to separate from the top and so a genuinely defective model.

dingdong

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
I have the Mid 2015 Macbook Pro model but was not eligible for free replacement due to battery swollen. Had to fork out $289AUD to get my swollen battery replaced. Top case was also replaced and suspect the keyboard and trackpad was too.. The good thing they told me it has 3 year warranty so that kinda made up for paying them i guess..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.