Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I was specifically referring to the Apple refurbished store.

I think that I'd complain or refuse it (I'd pick it up at the Apple Store and examine it first). The vast majority have been happy. I wouldn't pay the huge premium for the Apple Refurb Store over a local store if there were cosmetic damage.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
I recall seeing more than one person on here complaining their 2015 refurb wasn't as new as they were expecting - chips and port wear and such.

In any case, I do get it - the 2015 was an awesome machine and presumably if they're still selling the refurb models they're going to be supported for at least another 3 years right?

If you don't care about best value for the money, it's fine.

They didnt get that refurb from the Apple online refurb store. If there is any scratch or dent apple slaps on a new outer case.

Zen_Arcade

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
For me the 2015 keyboard is too wobbly...the keys don’t feel solid enough, the flip side is that I can restart typing and achieve a really good speed after something requiring taking hands off the keyboard as that wobbliness means I have some margin for fat fingering. The 2016 has a nice firm feel and the low travel doesn’t bother me, except when I get out of rhythm, I then find it hard getting back into that really quick rhythm for a period of time as less than accurate strikes are unforgivable. Also, long typing sessions are a bit fatiguing. It’s too flat and just a tad too stiff after 4 or 5 hours of typing.

Hands down though (sorry, bad pun) my favorite keyboard is the Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad. I bought the silver version the day it was released (WWDC 2017), and it has been great. Recently got the Space Grey version and I swear it’s an even better feel. Really hope Apple reengineers the MacBook Pro with the Magic Keyboard scissors mechanism and ditches the butterfly mechanism. The extra thickness to do that is not really an issue for most. The comfort and probable increase in reliability would be worth any thickness or weight gain.

I honestly hope someone at Apple reads and takes this to heart. I like the thinness of the 15” MacBook Pro, but the keyboard could be miles better and the CPU heat sink they use look like it conducts about as much heat as a Hot Pockets sleeve. The TouchBar can stay, but that TrackPad needs to be about 20% smaller.

Sorry, I really digressed there.

I agree with just about everything you wrote above. I think our only area of disagreement would be with the 2016 keyboard, which I detest. The 2019, whatever Apple has done to it, has a much better feel (to me, at least!).

The 2016-2019 MBPs are hugely frustrating - they could have been so much better than they are. As you noted, the trackpad is too big; the earlier models run too hot (the 2019 is noticeably cooler than the earlier versions I've had), the lack of anything but USB-C is still a huge annoyance, as little of the real world has switched, the lack of Magsafe is a self-inflicted wound, etc. On the other hand, they are noticeably faster, and the graphics performance is hugely improved over the 2015 and earlier. The speakers are also considerably better (and I can't believe I just wrote that about a laptop!).

Oh well - horses for courses. I wish Apple would design and sell a MacBook Pro with a chassis sized more like the 2015, with the Magic Keyboard, better cooling, bigger battery, smaller trackpad, USB-A and HDMI ports, etc. Highly unlikely, I know . . .

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
I agree with just about everything you wrote above. I think our only area of disagreement would be with the 2016 keyboard, which I detest. The 2019, whatever Apple has done to it, has a much better feel (to me, at least!).

The 2016-2019 MBPs are hugely frustrating - they could have been so much better than they are. As you noted, the trackpad is too big; the earlier models run too hot (the 2019 is noticeably cooler than the earlier versions I've had), the lack of anything but USB-C is still a huge annoyance, as little of the real world has switched, the lack of Magsafe is a self-inflicted wound, etc. On the other hand, they are noticeably faster, and the graphics performance is hugely improved over the 2015 and earlier. The speakers are also considerably better (and I can't believe I just wrote that about a laptop!).

Oh well - horses for courses. I wish Apple would design and sell a MacBook Pro with a chassis sized more like the 2015, with the Magic Keyboard, better cooling, bigger battery, smaller trackpad, USB-A and HDMI ports, etc. Highly unlikely, I know . . .

Therein lies the rub...if the butterfly mechanism released in the 2016 MacBook Pro had had zero reliability issues, Apple would still have a sizable contingent of people who simply hate the feel of that keyboard. For the record, I use or have access to the following:

* Apple Wired Keyboard
* Apple Magic Keyboard 1 (Apple Wireless Keyboard)
* Apple Magic Keyboard 2 (w/ Numeric Keypad)
* Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro
* Mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro
* Mid 2015 15" MacBook Pro
* Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro

Of all of those keyboards, here is how I rate them:

* Apple Magic Keyboard 2 (w/ Numeric Keypad)
* Apple Wired Keyboard
* Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro
* Mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro (Tie)
* Mid 2015 15" MacBook Pro (Tie)
* Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro
* Magic Keyboard 1 (Apple Wireless Keyboard)

All of the are miles ahead of the crumb trap that was the Apple Keyboard that Apple shipped from 2003-2007, it was just the absolute worst. The Bluetooth version of that keyboard should be held up as what not to do, ever.

So, I think we're on the seventh iteration of the keyboard and third major version if you include the 2015 MacBook (1st Gen), 2016 MacBook (2nd Gen) and 2016 MacBook Pro (3rd Gen) and it is still polarizing because it is a fatiguing keyboard, ironically, because it is has so little wobble, they are too closely spaced and they have such short travel. The short travel is not as bothersome as the spacing. Those keys need space to breath...just compare the spacing between the 2016-2019 15" MacBook Pro and the Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad if you ever get the chance.

I have replacement cables for any device that I need that uses USB-C, which only ended up costing me a total of $60 and so dongle hell is mostly avoided. I do have the TB#<-->TB2 adaptor and a USB-A to USB-C dongle just for those times when I have to use a Type-A flash drive. I really don't miss Magsafe at all, and have not had a catastrophe with USB-C as it does give and disconnects without too much incident.

The TrackPad is simply too big and there should be a slightly smaller size than can serve as a compromise.

I would like a bigger battery as the 2016 just doesn't last as long as it should.

I don't really miss USB-A or HDMI or the SD Card slot, but I suppose a UHS-II slot and an HDMI 2.0 port would go a long way for some. I am, however, completely opposed to USB-A ports on the MacBook Pro...hate 'em with a burning passion, cannot wait to see USB-A gone.

I do love the thinness of the 2016-2019 MacBookPros, but it holds back a better keyboard and better cooling for the CPU and GPU, which really need to be respected. No, not Late 2011 MacBook Pro thick, but something thicker than the current model.

Perhaps Apple will rethink the MacBook Pro...they really need to at this point.

Reactions: BigBoy2018

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
There's no way that a 4 year old computer is worth the near 2k price range. Heck, I got a 2018 ThinkPad with 32GB/1GB/Nvidia GTX 1050i for a tad over 2k and yet Apple has the temerity to sell such a used, older computer for such a high priced.

I guess if you can get away with the base model and just want a general use computer it's still an ok purchase (not good value, but within reason if you want a Mac without the hassle the newer models potentially pose) for anything more I definitely don't think you want to be paying these upgrade prices for outdated tech, more reliable KB/ arguably more useful ports/magsafe or no.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Well, all the discussion about whether they’re worth buying notwithstanding, it looks like the party’s over: No more 2015 macbook pros in the refurb store.
I have a feeling this was the last chance to ever get a ‘like new’ 2015 macbook pro.
Personally, I’m glad I was able to snag one (with a discrete gpu no less).
[doublepost=1560716871][/doublepost]
There's no way that a 4 year old computer is worth the near 2k price range. Heck, I got a 2018 ThinkPad with 32GB/1GB/Nvidia GTX 1050i for a tad over 2k and yet Apple has the temerity to sell such a used, older computer for such a high priced.

Look at it this way: In 2017, people were still buying the 2013 Mac Pro. Why? Because there wasn't any other options. To me, the keyboard flaw in the 2016-2019 is severe enough that I don't consider them an option, period. So given that I currently have a 2012 MacBook Pro that I bought in 2015 in the refurb store, for me getting the 2015 MacBook Pro is a decent upgrade and literally the best option for a powerful laptop (given that I will not consider the gimped 2016-2019 versions.

3 other key reasons (besides the dreaded keyboard in the current models) that I choose the 2015
1) Magsafe
2) flexibly with ports.
3) SSD is upgradable. In fact, OWC sells a 2tb SSD for the 2015 model, so in a year or two, that will be a nice upgrade path for me.

All these are a fairly big draw to me. Enough that I'd probably still seriously consider a 2015 model over the current ones even if the keyboard on the current ones was flawless.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I generally prefer to buy them off of Craigslist or a local store. The prices are far more reasonable (about half what the Apple Refurb store charges. Sure, there are dents and scratches but it's four or five years old - who cares?

The nice thing is the folks asking Apple prices will stop now.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I generally prefer to buy them off of Craigslist or a local store. The prices are far more reasonable (about half what the Apple Refurb store charges. Sure, there are dents and scratches but it's four or five years old - who cares?

The nice thing is the folks asking Apple prices will stop now.

Ok, but that's the difference between buying new and used. Used and beat up with no warranty is always going to be cheaper than new. You are getting a computer from someone who's done god knows what with it, a used battery, and no warranty. That's why people care.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Ok, but that's the difference between buying new and used. Used and beat up with no warranty is always going to be cheaper than new. You are getting a computer from someone who's done god knows what with it, a used battery, and no warranty. That's why people care.

Agreed. Off craigslist youre potentially getting a beat up piece of **** that may not last 3 montjs with no warrantly, vs a pristine laptop from the apple refurb store with a solid 1 year warrantly - with the option for applecare.

HUGE difference.

So the real question of the apple refurb store vs craigslist is: Do you want a laptop that is like new for $2000 and will likely last 5+ years or a beat up piece of **** for $1000 that will probably be dead and gone after a year. I’d rather spend the extra $1k and have something I can count on. Some might say I’m wasting my money paying apple their high prices. I can argue just the same you’re wasting $1000 right away by risking it on a craigslist purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zdigital2015

Reaper0bot0

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
I'm glad they turned up in the refurb store again. I've owned a few Apple refurbs and been nothing but pleased. That said......

I bought a base 2015 15" without SSD on eBay for $550. Battery's got 181 cycles. Condition is fantastic (a few absolutely minor niggles). I bought a 512gb Sabrent Rocket NVME SSD (Amazon sent me a 1tb by mistake) for around $75 and the NVME adapter for $15. This was NOT an expensive project. This thing is as tight as a drum and the SSD is about twice as fast as stock. I've not had temps higher than 61 celsius.

The Sintech adapter allowing one to use an NVME SSD (if you pick one that doesn't run too hot anyway) has allowed me to put together one hell of a machine for very little outlay. I'm thrilled.

I've played with several butterfly keyboard MacBooks and I just can't do it. I get that many can and do like the subjective nature of typing on it. I am not one of them. TouchID is super useful but the Touchbar is pointless. My Apple Watch unlocks the MBP and that's close enough I suppose. I'm not a power user at this point in my life and the horsepower difference just doesn't matter. The GPU *might* if I change a few things but at present it just doesn't.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Insane that 4 year old refurbished hardware is going for that much. I spent $2000 on my 2.6/560X/512GB 2018 MBP that was the most recent MBP model at the time that I got it (2019 wasn't released yet).

Tech_Mac_Man

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2018
Toronto, ON
Honestly I thought about buying the MAXED OUT 2015 with the DGPU and man...It is not worth the price this 2015 is 5 years old and technology has evolved so much..Things are getting faster not slower...especially in the laptop world...I know Apple can charge that much since they try to replace everything on the 2015 to make it look new..I get that but damn here in Canada with tax it comes to $3,300 CAD for a MAXED OUT 2015...That's way too much for a 5yr old machine...!!

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Honestly I thought about buying the MAXED OUT 2015 with the DGPU and man...It is not worth the price this 2015 is 5 years old and technology has evolved so much..Things are getting faster not slower...especially in the laptop world...I know Apple can charge that much since they try to replace everything on the 2015 to make it look new..I get that but damn here in Canada with tax it comes to $3,300 CAD for a MAXED OUT 2015...That's way too much for a 5yr old machine...!!

It absolutely is too much. But I really wanted that model, and had plenty of interest free credit avail, so I went for it against my better judgement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.