Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks for all the help.

I did not disable SIP and try deleting the file again.

I just went back to Sierra and all is well (at least for now), that was the quickest way to get it to a usable state.

I'll come back to High Sierra after a few more updates or something.

Thanks again.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
I have the same problem, and it's clearly related to High Sierra because it started right after the update and didn't happen before that.

Disappointing that a clean install didn't fix it for you; that was my next step. I may still try anyway.

What is "SIP"? I'm thinking about disabling safe sleep mode first, before the High Sierra clean install (which is a pain and time consuming).

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I have the same problem, and it's clearly related to High Sierra because it started right after the update and didn't happen before that.

Disappointing that a clean install didn't fix it for you; that was my next step. I may still try anyway.

What is "SIP"? I'm thinking about disabling safe sleep mode first, before the High Sierra clean install (which is a pain and time consuming).
SIP = System Integrity Protection. It keeps files from being deleted even if you are logged in as root. For some maintenance, disabling SIP (boot to recovery partition, & use Terminal to change the setting) is the only way to do it. SIP was introduced in Yosemite or El Capitan I believe.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010

A friend was suggesting installing with non-encrypted APFS. He made it sound that you can convert back and forth between the two APFS variants, so you can give it a shot now.

zeypher

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
A friend was suggesting installing with non-encrypted APFS. He made it sound that you can convert back and forth between the two APFS variants, so you can give it a shot now.

Any progress on your black screen from wake issue? I have a late 2013 MBP, and this happens to me about once a month.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
This is concerning that I was just about to buy a refurbished 15" MBP and all I'm seeing is that it has OSX and thats it

I don't know how things stand today, but it was not hard to install a fresh copy of Sierra some time ago (after High Sierra was out). If it's from Apple.com, it's highly likely it'll come with High Sierra.

This just started to happen to me today. Along with Spotlight saying that its using significant energy. Any idea on what to do?

No clue, sorry.

I guess I'll continue to postpone my upgrade to High Sierra then...

I'm not the best person to advise on this topic. Not everyone seems to be encountering these issues, so you might get lucky. Personally, I felt that Sierra was more polished and it was much closer to the 'doesn't need tinkering, just works' experience.

Good luck.

Tallmale

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2019
Downgraded to Sierra shortly after encountering this issue. :) Works like a charm.

Hi Powerslave12r

I have the same problem. Did downgrading to Sierra from High Sierra fix the problem permanently?

I have tried everything to fix this problem!

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Hi Powerslave12r

I have the same problem. Did downgrading to Sierra from High Sierra fix the problem permanently?

I have tried everything to fix this problem!
It did at the time. You can try it out. But I would recommend checking out Mojave instead.

Tallmale

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2019
It did at the time. You can try it out. But I would recommend checking out Mojave instead.

Hi there thanks for taking the time to respond. I think I fixed the problem myself.

I had two problems which I believe were connected. The first was that the screen would go black and I could hear no start up chime when I started the computer via the power button and this would happen frequently. And the second problem was that when the computer was working it would go into power saving mode then then the screen would go black and then it would become unresponsive so I would be forced to press the power button to shut it down and to restart it.

I was advised by Apple Support to reinstall the High Sierra operating system which I did but it did not fix these problems. I was then advised to wipe the computer completely and then reinstall High Sierra which I did and this seemed to fix the start up problems. It is now consistently starting successfully. No black screen thank god!

But I still discovered that it would go into power save mode and the screen would go black and the become unresponsive so I discovered two settings that had to be changed the Power saving setting which I set to NEVER and another setting SCREENSAVER which I also set to NEVER. These two settings seemed to fix the problems completely.

Are you still experiencing any problems or has installing Mojave fixed the problem completely?

Update: The screen went black again today when I was using it but I was able to click on the power button to view the desktop again

Last edited:
Reactions: powerslave12r

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Hi there thanks for taking the time to respond. I think I fixed the problem myself.

I had two problems which I believe were connected. The first was that the screen would go black and I could hear no start up chime when I started the computer via the power button and this would happen frequently. And the second problem was that when the computer was working it would go into power saving mode then then the screen would go black and then it would become unresponsive so I would be forced to press the power button to shut it down and to restart it.

I was advised by Apple Support to reinstall the High Sierra operating system which I did but it did not fix these problems. I was then advised to wipe the computer completely and then reinstall High Sierra which I did and this seemed to fix the start up problems. It is now consistently starting successfully. No black screen thank god!

But I still discovered that it would go into power save mode and the screen would go black and the become unresponsive so I discovered two settings that had to be changed the Power saving setting which I set to NEVER and another setting SCREENSAVER which I also set to NEVER. These two settings seemed to fix the problems completely.

Are you still experiencing any problems or has installing Mojave fixed the problem completely?
Unfortunately, I no longer have access to that specific machine, so I can't comment on it. Your best bet would be to back up, try out mojave and hope it resolves it.

Update: The screen went black again today when I was using it but I was able to click on the power button to view the desktop again
The screen going black while using it sounds like a more serious issue. Did you bring that specific issue to Apple's notice?

Tallmale

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2019
Unfortunately, I no longer have access to that specific machine, so I can't comment on it. Your best bet would be to back up, try out mojave and hope it resolves it.

The screen going black while using it sounds like a more serious issue. Did you bring that specific issue to Apple's notice?

Yes I did discuss the screen going black with Apple but they werent much help to be honest. Wiping the computer and then reinstalling High Sierra seems to largely have fixed the problem. Occasionally the screen is going black but I can live with that for now until I buy a new computer.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Yes I did discuss the screen going black with Apple but they werent much help to be honest. Wiping the computer and then reinstalling High Sierra seems to largely have fixed the problem. Occasionally the screen is going black but I can live with that for now until I buy a new computer.
Okay. Just out of curiosity, is there any specific reason why you're holding off upgrading to Mojave?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.