Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Has anyone had their wifi fail on their rMB 12? One day I noticed the wifi cutting intermittently off after a long multi gig airdrop transfer. Now the wifi will only work when the machine first turns on, but after some surfing for a bit or downloading files, the wifi starts to rapidly connect/disconnect. Tried everything to a full machine wipe and still does it. When I turn it off it works for a bit until the machine starts to get warm again and then it's back to crashing. Unfortunately, ifixit teardown looks like the wifi is no longer replaceable like older MacBooks. Am I SOL?

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Bump. My Brides ‘17 rMB has recently doing the same thing.
I got it fixed. Genius Bar wanted $500 for a new logic board. I bought a used one off ebay for $200 and installed it. Running great now. Was hard to get the logic board out though. Thanks Apple for soldering it onto the logic board for making a simple $20 repair into an expensive ordeal. Was tempted to just recycle it but love the size.

Reactions: QuietGamer

QuietGamer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
US
Thank you for the update. I appreciate it. May look into this as she is a fan of the size as well.

caner0

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2019
I also had the same problem in my 2016 Macbook 12. Genius bar suggested replacing the antenna (not the module itself), from my understanding it is possible just to replace antenna for this problem, instead of full module. I haven't done it as I am not frequently using it, but I suggest to check this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.