Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ozgalusa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2023
Sydney Australia
Hello complete newbie here and first time posting...be gently with me :)

Has anyone had experience with a Severe Laptop Battery Burn ?

Brief Overview : My Apple MacBook Air 2016 was positioned on my knees/leg horizontal for 5+ hours while I was researching my mother's newly diagnosed Stage 4 Cancer and subsequent Palliative Care treatment options.
My Knee is a Total Knee Replacement and as such there are no nerves that I can feel in the surrounding joint.

My Laptop on the right hand corner gets incredibly hot.
There was no restriction on the 'Ventilation' area by ways of blanket's etc on this event.

My laptop burn the following day then rapidly deteriorated to such that I was rushed into Hospital via ER for surgery.
My nightmare was then followed by 9 weeks of in home Nurse care 3 times a week followed by Ortho team major hospital care of the machine that was attached to my leg to prevent any other issues arising.

Have reached out to Apple twice now with 'Graphic' images and back up Hospital documentation. They Appear 'Interested' at first and give me the Company Mantra re Safety, but now I have been Ghosted Twice.

Have read the case of the butterfly keyboard, but no where about anyone experience a Laptop Burn.
To add insult to me Apple Support Staff repeatedly telling me 'It's not a Laptop but a Notebook' as it is not supposed to 'Sit on your lap'!

Anyone ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.