Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I am extremely disappointed with Apple. I purchased a 2016 MacBook about 3 months ago, brand new, no issues. About a week ago, I noticed a slight noise around the hinge/battery or potentially behind the screen. Easiest way to replicate is to close the MacBook, turn it upside down, and shake from left to right slightly. It sounds like a slight knocking or loose part. I went to the Apple store for them to take a look. I figured maybe a loose battery or something that became unglued. The employee took it to the back of the room, came back and said "Yes, I heard the noise, and Apple considers that "normal". I was in shock. Normal? How could a company that prides itself on quality craftsmanship of their products consider a loose part or a knocking sound in their product "normal". The employee stated that it was a part behind the screen and the back casing that was not secured. He said I could go and pick up any MacBook in the store and it would make the same noise. I couldn't believe it. I have spent thousands on Apple products as I am sure you all have, and now I am seriously questioning Apple as a company moving forward if this is what to expect from a $1,200 computer. I am considering a formal letter to Tim Cook and Phil Schiller, although I am sure it will go unnoticed. Has anyone noticed the same thing? Am I completely off base for thinking this way? Something has to change. It's unacceptable in my eyes.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i understand what you're saying here, but how does it affect your usage of your macbook? are you shaking it while you work? just... seems a non-issue. if your macbook works well, isn't that what matters? just my thoughts (of course)...

Reactions: Jayderek and chabig

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
i understand what you're saying here, but how does it affect your usage of your macbook? are you shaking it while you work? just... seems a non-issue. if your macbook works well, isn't that what matters? just my thoughts (of course)...

It doesn't affect my usage, but I notice it when I pick it up, close it, move from room to room. I just feel that a computer of this cost should have a loose part in it. Even Apple boasts that the computer should be completely silent. It isn't.
[doublepost=1482007145][/doublepost]
I'm also disgusted. Normally when I shake things, I expect them to be silent too.

This isn't a violent shaking. This happens when I close the lid, pick it up, and move from room to room. I notice it now. It doesn't take much.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i don't hear any such sound (same MB); maybe speak to another employee? either way, how much time do you spend with the macbook closed, upside down, shaking it side-to-side? maybe that's not something to do, or worry about?

but really, talk to a different person at an apple store, or call apple...

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
i don't hear any such sound (same MB); maybe speak to another employee? either way, how much time do you spend with the macbook closed, upside down, shaking it side-to-side? maybe that's not something to do, or worry about?

but really, talk to a different person at an apple store, or call apple...

Yea I plan on stopping by another store to get a second opinion. Not often am I using it like that, but to me, it's kind of the principle. I don like having a loose part that makes noise in my computer. I'll likely just ask for a replacement.

salbalboa

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2016
Mine just started doing this as well and if you look online it seems a lot of people have this problem also. Even some of the new ones at the apple store do this.

I have the m7 version and at £1500 i expect better quality. It doesn't effect the performance but knowing i paid so much for it with this defect bugs the hell out of me every time i hear it.

I will be returning mine, luckily I'm still in the return window.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Mine just started doing this as well and if you look online it seems a lot of people have this problem also. Even some of the new ones at the apple store do this.

I have the m7 version and at £1500 i expect better quality. It doesn't effect the performance but knowing i paid so much for it with this defect bugs the hell out of me every time i hear it.

I will be returning mine, luckily I'm still in the return window.

I have another appt on Wednesday at a different Apple Store. Hopefully I get better results. And you understand my point completely then. I don't care if it effects performance or not. I expect better quality from a $1200 machine. Been annoying me ever since.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Am I completely off base for thinking this way?
Well, since you asked..... yes, completely.

What is it exactly you expect Tim Cook and Phil Schiller to do as a result of your letter? Initiate a redesign, retroactive to existing units, to correct an "Issue" that doesn't cause any harm and is nearly impossible to detect unless you're specifically trying to find it? Glue things down even MORE, making repairability more difficult?

Reactions: Jayderek

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Are you sure it's not the magnet in the touchpad? I have two 15 inchers and they both do that with the lid closed. Lid opened, machine turned on, the magnets are in use and there is no noise when I shake it side to side.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Are you sure it's not the magnet in the touchpad? I have two 15 inchers and they both do that with the lid closed. Lid opened, machine turned on, the magnets are in use and there is no noise when I shake it side to side.

This.

Apple say it's normal, because it is normal. Turn your MacBook off and tilt it side-to-side. There's your very faint "knocking" sound. Now turn it on and tilt it side-to-side. No more knocking sound.

It's normal.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Well, since you asked..... yes, completely.

What is it exactly you expect Tim Cook and Phil Schiller to do as a result of your letter? Initiate a redesign, retroactive to existing units, to correct an "Issue" that doesn't cause any harm and is nearly impossible to detect unless you're specifically trying to find it? Glue things down even MORE, making repairability more difficult?

Replace my $1200 computer with one that doesn't make noise. It's faulty. I brought it back to another Apple Store and someone finally helped me. It's a loose logic board and it's in for repair now. That's all I was looking for. Happy to see that it wasn't just deemed "normal" again.
[doublepost=1482756349][/doublepost]

Yes, it ended up being a loose logic board.
[doublepost=1482756392][/doublepost]
This.

Apple say it's normal, because it is normal. Turn your MacBook off and tilt it side-to-side. There's your very faint "knocking" sound. Now turn it on and tilt it side-to-side. No more knocking sound.

It's normal.

No, it made the noise whether on or off. It was a loose logic board and they are fixing the mistake.

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The employee took it to the back of the room, came back and said "Yes, I heard the noise, and Apple considers that "normal".
I remember having a problem on a PowerBook. Back in the day, I bought an Apple PowerBook (pre intel laptop for those who may be unfamiliar) and I was getting some feedback/static emanating from the speakers. I was told that this is normal, just like you were told. Others were incurring this problem as well, but I had to live with it, as long as I had the laptop. I was bummed out that such an expensive product would have this and how Apple just basically swept it under the carpet.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Glad to hear they are fixing it. Sometimes you just have to get a 2nd opinion.

I realize that now. Probably jumped the gun a bit, but I am happy Apple is making things right. I really just couldn't believe that an Apple employee or anyone who replied to this thread considered it a non issue and to move on.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Well I just got back from picking up my computer from the Apple store. It still makes the same noise. I asked to speak to someone and they started backtracking and now said that its the connector to the trackpad and there is nothing they can do about it. I asked to speak to a manager and the manager said this is completely normal and every one of their computers makes the same noise. I picked up each computer in the store and did not hear the same noise. He said there is nothing he can do. I guess that's that. Next step will be to sell it.

Domen151

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014
Does the sound comes out from the screen? If it does, then this same thing affects the 2015 MBP and MB. There are quite a lot of people complaining about it and there are also videos:
My MBP 2015 does this occasionally, but I never notice it unless I’m shaking it so it doesn’t bother me that much.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Does the sound comes out from the screen? If it does, then this same thing affects the 2015 MBP and MB. There are quite a lot of people complaining about it and there are also videos:
My MBP 2015 does this occasionally, but I never notice it unless I’m shaking it so it doesn’t bother me that much.

Yes, very similar sound to the video. I notice it every time I pick up my computer. I have a senior advisor looking into it for me. They are having me send it back in for a longer look and said if they can't fix it, they'll give me a replacement.

Domen151

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014
Yes, very similar sound to the video. I notice it every time I pick up my computer. I have a senior advisor looking into it for me. They are having me send it back in for a longer look and said if they can't fix it, they'll give me a replacement.
If you can hear it just by picking it up, then I think that this definitely shouldn’t be normal. And it’s probably better that they somehow fix your MacBook, because the replacement would probably start to do the same thing eventually...

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
If you can hear it just by picking it up, then I think that this definitely shouldn’t be normal. And it’s probably better that they somehow fix your MacBook, because the replacement would probably start to do the same thing eventually...

You're probably right. I hope they can fix it but we'll see. The plan is to fix it and sell it.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I have another appt on Wednesday at a different Apple Store. Hopefully I get better results. And you understand my point completely then. I don't care if it effects performance or not. I expect better quality from a $1200 machine. Been annoying me ever since.

Apple looks at it from a use perspective. You should look at if from an after warranty perspective. Since no one knows what the actual issue is, its going to be hard too hold Apple accountable later. So it is best to have it fixed. If its normal as Apple says, have them explain what is going on in writing.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Apple looks at it from a use perspective. You should look at if from an after warranty perspective. Since no one knows what the actual issue is, its going to be hard too hold Apple accountable later. So it is best to have it fixed. If its normal as Apple says, have them explain what is going on in writing.

I see their point to some degree, but I am with you on the after warranty perspective. I'd rather do whatever I can to get it fixed now. I also think of resale value.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
As a owner of the same machine. I think you blowing this up bro. It's not that big a deal. Its expensive yes. But not perfect. Expensive things have flaws too.

Yes, but I should still be able to fix a loose part in my computer while under warranty. I have it currently being "repaired" by the Apple team in Houston and expect it back tomorrow. Hopefully they did what they said they would and replaced the faulty cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.