Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
It is due to electronic components (coil whine) of dc converters and VR on the Logic Board...

rTHIS

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
Portugal
Mine sounded nothing at all like that. Those noises appear to be electrical components within the machine (SSD, speakers, etc.) causing noise; mine was completely different.
Please ignore all the sounds except the one at 0:07/0:08. The microphone was to sensitive when i recorded the video.

Do you know when your body accumulate electrostatic and you touch a metallic surface with a finger... that's exactly like that sound.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
My 15" 2.9/1tb/460 does not have this issue and neither did the last 2 exchanged ones. Quiet as a mouse except when typing ;p.

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
It is due to electronic components (coil whine) of dc converters and VR on the Logic Board...

A lot of it can be, but the loud clicking noise can be cause for concern. The fan on the right side of my machine failed and was the cause of the clicking noise. After replacement this machine has been scarily quiet.

Please ignore all the sounds except the one at 0:07/0:08. The microphone was to sensitive when i recorded the video.

Do you know when your body accumulate electrostatic and you touch a metallic surface with a finger... that's exactly like that sound.

It doesn't hurt to take it in and have Apple look at it; that one particular click sounds similar to what I was hearing, although quieter than what I was hearing...again this could be because the video is muffling the sound. These machines have such tight tolerances a small deviation could cause the fan to have some issues...my fan was replaced and it solved my clicking issue entirely. My laptop is now so quiet it's almost creepy.

Have the exact same problem, exact same clicking problem.

Take it in and see if Apple can reproduce it! With any luck it's the fan and they will gladly get it taken care of for you. It took care of my particular issue.

My 15" 2.9/1tb/460 does not have this issue and neither did the last 2 exchanged ones. Quiet as a mouse except when typing ;p.

Lucky! Mine is now the same as your is; scary quiet.

Reactions: rTHIS

vasatrya

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
is a click sound like this at 0:07?

This is my 2nd unit...

It sounds like a electrostatic discharge and it's completely random.

This is my second macbook with exact the same issue. I've tried:
- Reset SMC
- Reset NVRAM
- Reset OS
- Connect to an official power adapter with a ground connector

i'm 99% sure that the problem is related with the speakers, because every time i connect the headphones i never heard any click/crack noise.

In my opinion this is a hardware design fault related with the speakers, may be it could be fixed with a firmware upgrade... in worst case scenario with a new hardware revision.

Yes I have this issue too!! Debating if i should exchange it....

rTHIS

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
Portugal
@vasatrya you should... that's not the normal behaviour. I've returned the 2nd unit and i'm still now waiting for the new one (with fingers crossed).

vasatrya

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
Just exchanged for a new one...had the laptop on for 30 min and i already heard the noise multiple times....

rTHIS

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
Portugal
@vasatrya what is the build date? I'm waiting right now for a new one directly from China. It is a build to order, so I expect a build date with 2 or 3 days. Let's see if the problem persists.

rTHIS

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
Portugal
this is unbelievable... my 3rd MacBook Pro 13 came exactly with the same electrostatic problem, right out of the box.:mad::mad::mad:

Synaptixx

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
I am having the same intermittent clicking issue, but with a 2015 MacBook Pro. I took it into the store and they were not able to replicate the sound on the spot, but they suggested that I replace my fan to see if it would help or to return the laptop and order another. I decided to try another laptop and I am currently on my 2nd one but it has the same clicking sound.

Would you guys just leave it, or have them replace the fan? I got this laptop BTO...perhaps they have a bad stock of fans?

The laptop is brand new, and I can't decide to return it or have them take it a part and replace the fan (not really excited of the idea of having my new laptop taken apart)

Last edited:

ge.caroline

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2017
I am having the same intermittent clicking issue, but with a 2015 MacBook Pro. I took it into the store and they were not able to replicate the sound on the spot, but they offered to replace my fan to see if it would help. I decided to try another laptop and I am currently on my 2nd one but it has the same clicking sound.

Would you guys just leave it, or have them replace the fan? I got this laptop BTO...perhaps they have a bad stock of fans?

The laptop is brand new, and I can't decide to return it or have them take it a part and replace the fan (not really excited of the idea of having my new laptop taken apart)
On a new 2015 MBP?

ge.caroline

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2017
Editted for clarification :)
Are you experiencing the same issue as well?
Yep. I'm at 12th day of my purchase. It will take a lot of time for the replacement to arrive here. I'm confused whether I'll be wasting time or not for the perfect one.

Synaptixx

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
Yep. I'm at 12th day of my purchase. It will take a lot of time for the replacement to arrive here. I'm confused whether I'll be wasting time or not for the perfect one.

It seems like the fan replacement is the way to go to fix this issue. In general, the laptop works fine for me and I don't want to go through the return and reorder route again (takes almost 2 weeks to deliver). We both got the laptop recently, so I'm pretty sure the problem is with the fans they have in stock where they BTO our laptops. Based on that, I would say there is a likely chance that another order would have the same problem IMO :(.

I think I am going to go through with the fan replacement route.

Reactions: ge.caroline

Buuuutters

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2017
Well, i got a 13'' macbook pro 2016, and i have this same issue

its stupidly random

well, i have 2 random issues at the moment, sometimes when i boot the mac up, the trackpad does not work on login page

This is my 2nd mac, the 1st one had a fan noise in the right side, i guess Apple doesnt like me xD

radionoise

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
Has anyone got the replacement machine or repair with this clicking noise fixed? I have the same problem with my 2017 13" nonTB machine. Sounds totally like electrostatic discharge. Apple service replaced the speakers and it didn't worked. Now I'm waiting for the motherboard getting replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.