Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auslad88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
Australia
i have a 2017 27” iMac (18,3)

I have a 3tb fusion (the 128gb ssd and the 3tb standard drive) I want to upgrade the standard hard drive to a higher capacity . Does anyone know where I can find a list of compatible hard drives ? Do they still require the fan sensor leads ? Or is this for the older machines ?
Thanks

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Reactions: mbosse

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You realize that opening the iMac will void the warranty, right?

Having said that, you should also realize (perhaps you already know) that replacing ONE of the drives destroys the "fusion drive" -- thus, everything must be backed up in advance.

My advice:
DON'T touch anything inside.
If 3tb "isn't enough" for you, just plug in a USB3 EXTERNAL drive for more storage.
Faster and easier, and you don't risk breaking anything inside.

It's always a better choice to NOT "have all your eggs in one basket", anyway.

Reactions: pier

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
You realize that opening the iMac will void the warranty, right?

No, it doesn't not void the warranty.

From FTC:

The Federal Trade Commission staff has sent warning letters to six major companies that market and sell automobiles, cellular devices, and video gaming systems in the United States.

The letters warn that FTC staff has concerns about the companies’ statements that consumers must use specified parts or service providers to keep their warranties intact. Unless warrantors provide the parts or services for free or receive a waiver from the FTC, such statements generally are prohibited by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a law that governs consumer product warranties. Similarly, such statements may be deceptive under the FTC Act.

Each company used different language, but here are examples of questionable provisions:

• The use of [company name] parts is required to keep your . . . manufacturer’s warranties and any extended warranties intact.
  • This warranty shall not apply if this product . . . is used with products not sold or licensed by [company name].
  • This warranty does not apply if this product . . . has had the warranty seal on the [product] altered, defaced, or removed.
“Provisions that tie warranty coverage to the use of particular products or services harm both consumers who pay more for them as well as the small businesses who offer competing products and services,” said Thomas B. Pahl, Acting Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection.

From MacSales/OWC

Unfortunately though, there exists a misconception among some users and even technicians that opening the machine voids the warranty.

We address this topic directly with customers via our support portals and are happy to inform you here of the same fact: upgrading your Mac does not void its warranty.

This consumer protection is owed to the little known Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. Put simply, the act states that a company can’t require you to upgrade with only its own branded parts to retain the warranty. This important act protects your rights as a consumer and allows you to install upgrades with peace of mind confidence.

Last edited:

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
We've been through your nonsense "it won't void the warranty" on numerous threads before.

Your advice is going to cause some folks a lot of expense.

Wrong again.

Apple's warranty doesn't say that servicing your own Apple products would void the warranty because that would be against the law.

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
Wrong again.

Apple's warranty doesn't say that servicing your own Apple products would void the warranty because that would be against the law.

This debate made me curious enough to read both the current apple warranty and wiki summery of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

It would appear that the warranty ( https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/embedded-mac-warranty-us.html ) is not voided simply by opening or upgrading your mac.

The issues are:
a) Any damage you or other non-AASP accidentally inflict while opening/upgrading will not be covered. (And may be grounds for the Apple store to deny repair.)
b) Non-original parts are naturally not covered by the warranty.

In conclusion do you really want to replace a working original warrantied part with an ungraded non-warrantied part even if the rest of the system retains warranty? Are you confident in your skills and willing to risk inflicting non-warrantied damage in the course of the upgrade?

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
This debate made me curious enough to read both the current apple warranty and wiki summery of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

It would appear that the warranty ( https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/embedded-mac-warranty-us.html ) is not voided simply by opening or upgrading your mac.

You are correct.

The issues are:
a) Any damage you or other non-AASP accidentally inflict while opening/upgrading will not be covered. (And may be grounds for the Apple store to deny repair.)

Well, of cause. If you break it, it's your fault.

b) Non-original parts are naturally not covered by the warranty.

Assuming that you purchased the parts from reputable sources, these parts should have their own warranty.

In conclusion do you really want to replace a working original warrantied part with an ungraded non-warrantied part even if the rest of the system retains warranty?

The parts should have their own warranty (Assuming that you purchased the parts from reputable sources)

Are you confident in your skills and willing to risk inflicting non-warrantied damage in the course of the upgrade?

Absolutely. The display is basically just a big piece of glass held on by double-sided tape.

Assuming that you can handle a glass table top without breaking it, you can absolutely handle the display.

Here are some images of my upgrade ;): https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-27-inch-late-2013-hdd-ssd-upgrade.2122595/

Last edited:

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Opening the case will void the warranty.
i have a 2017 27” iMac (18,3)

I have a 3tb fusion (the 128gb ssd and the 3tb standard drive) I want to upgrade the standard hard drive to a higher capacity . Does anyone know where I can find a list of compatible hard drives ? Do they still require the fan sensor leads ? Or is this for the older machines ?
Thanks

Opening your case will void your warranty. Ignore all the noise on this forum by the one member who says otherwise.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
You didn't even read the warranty.

What you don't seem to get is that I am not saying what Apple should or shouldn't do, I'm saying what they WILL do and ACTUALLY do. Which is why I keep telling you that the advice you're giving to members of this forum is bad. I don't think most people want to go to Apple, be told a day later that they will not work on their computer because it's been opened, then have to go pick up the machine and have to start a lawsuit against Apple. THAT is what your advice will do for them.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
What you don't seem to get is that I am not saying what Apple should or shouldn't do, I'm saying what they WILL do and ACTUALLY do. Which is why I keep telling you that the advice you're giving to members of this forum is bad. I don't think most people want to go to Apple, be told a day later that they will not work on their computer because it's been opened, then have to go pick up the machine and have to start a lawsuit against Apple. THAT is what your advice will do for them.

I actually know what Apple do.

One of the iMac at work has issues with one of the speakers.

Guess what Apple did?

Apple replaced the speakers under warranty..

The SSD was upgrade and Apple didn't bat an eye.
[doublepost=1528901126][/doublepost]

You should read the terms of Apple's warranty.

It didn't said anywhere that opening the computer void the warranty.

It said that damages caused by third party repairs/upgrades and damages caused by third party are not covered under the warranty.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I know what it says. But you are the ONLY person I have ever heard claim that Apple did warranty work on an iMac that had been opened up. Not a lot to go on for people to risk their $1,000-$5,000 machines (or $5,000-$14,000 iMac Pro).

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
I know what it says. But you are the ONLY person I have ever heard claim that Apple did warranty work on an iMac that had been opened up. Not a lot to go on for people to risk their $1,000-$5,000 machines (or $5,000-$14,000 iMac Pro).

You clear don't have enough experience to know this:

Apple doesn't void the warranty simply because someone opened/serviced his/her Mac.

Apple voided the warranty because of "damages" from someone opening/servicing his/her Mac.

The way Apple define "damages" is different from the way a lot of people think of "damages".

Apple considered the the device "user damaged" if the device wasn't correctly repaired despite working properly.

Specifically, I have had people tell me that Apple voided their warranty after their devices were repaired/serviced by third-parties.

Upon inspection of these devices, I found that the repairs were done incorrectly. Often, the screws were either missing or installed in the wrong locations.

Since the devices worked properly, despite the fact that the repairs were done incorrectly, the users don't know that Apple would now considered their devices to be "user damaged".

Then, of cause, when they actually take their devices to Apple for warrantied repairs, they are "shocked" to find out that Apple has voided their warranty.

Last edited:

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I don't disagree with anything you said there. BUT there are stories galore about Apple refusing to even work on any iMac that has been opened, warranty or no warranty. I think it's important to mention that when you're advising people to open their iMacs to do upgrades. They're entitled to all the facts, not just your take and not just your experience.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
I don't disagree with anything you said there. BUT there are stories galore about Apple refusing to even work on any iMac that has been opened, warranty or no warranty. I think it's important to mention that when you're advising people to open their iMacs to do upgrades. They're entitled to all the facts, not just your take and not just your experience.

There are also stories about how Obama was actually born in Kenya, and his mother covered up this "fact" so that one day, her son can become President of the United States.

Reactions: Woodlandjustin

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
And if you think that the veracity of the Obama stories is equivalent to the stated experience of many of the forum members here, then continue to give your one-sided advice.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
And if you think that the veracity of the Obama stories is equivalent to the stated experience of many of the forum members here, then continue to give your one-sided advice.

Obama's brother said that Obama was born in Kenya.

He would know, right?

Last edited:

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I guess if it's too difficult for you to say "Apple is not supposed to automatically void your warranty just because you open the machine to do an upgrade, but be aware that there are reports of Apple refusing to work on any iMac that's been opened," which is the truth, then I guess just keep doing what you're doing and misleading people. You ain't the first.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
I guess if it's too difficult for you to say "Apple is not supposed to automatically void your warranty just because you open the machine to do an upgrade, but be aware that there are reports of Apple refusing to work on any iMac that's been opened," which is the truth, then I guess just keep doing what you're doing and misleading people. You ain't the first.

I am sure that that has happened. Apple probably has a few clueless "Genius".

You just have to point out the facts to them.

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
Regardless of the warranty thing, IMO it's better to use an external drive.

1) Opening an iMac is always a risky business unless you really know what you are doing and have the appropriate tools.

2) Unless you plan on adding an NVME SSD (which is even more difficult) the speeds you will get on SATA are not better than TB3 (specially considering Fusion drives) and even USB3.

3) External drives will give you more options. You can for example get RAIDs for speed and/or redundancy.

4) When (not if) a spinning disk fails you won't need to open your iMac again and the OS won't be compromised.

Sure, the external drive(s) will occupy more space on your desk and will probably be more expensive, but IMO the points mentioned are quite valid.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
These are not user upgradable with regards to drives. Apple will void your warranty and they have legal grounds. When an unauthorized person disassembles a machine, Apple no longer has control of internal components, quality of such as well as manufacturing practices. Therefor they will not be responsible. Therefor, warranty voided. No one would rule against Apple as they should not have to warranty modifications that were not part of the manufacturing, which in this case, included non user upgradability. Besides, most drive changes from HD to SSD require a third party thermal cable. So now your introducing a item that circumvents the original design.

I am aware of legal warranty protections. I hate car analogies, but they apply well here. Put a cold air intake on and it will not void the warranty on the engine. Change the camshaft out using "Bo" as your mechanic and they will not warranty the engine. You went "inside" and took controls away from the original manufacturer.

If you want to upgrade any internals in an iMac, do it after the warranty runs out. And a few cases where a tech looks the other way is not evidence of a policy to accept such mods.

If you wish to fight this under the terms of the MM warranty act, rest assured your attorney fees will exceed your system's cost in a few short hours. Apple could fight you to the next millennium.

Reactions: pier

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
These are not user upgradable with regards to drives. Apple will void your warranty and they have legal grounds. When an unauthorized person disassembles a machine, Apple no longer has control of internal components, quality of such as well as manufacturing practices. Therefor they will not be responsible. Therefor, warranty voided. No one would rule against Apple as they should not have to warranty modifications that were not part of the manufacturing, which in this case, included non user upgradability. Besides, most drive changes from HD to SSD require a third party thermal cable. So now your introducing a item that circumvents the original design.

I am aware of legal warranty protections. I hate car analogies, but they apply well here. Put a cold air intake on and it will not void the warranty on the engine. Change the camshaft out using "Bo" as your mechanic and they will not warranty the engine. You went "inside" and took controls away from the original manufacturer.

If you want to upgrade any internals in an iMac, do it after the warranty runs out. And a few cases where a tech looks the other way is not evidence of a policy to accept such mods.

If you wish to fight this under the terms of the MM warranty act, rest assured your attorney fees will exceed your system's cost in a few short hours. Apple could fight you to the next millennium.

Clearly, you are clueless and didn't even read the terms of Apple's warranty.

It's clearly pointless to get into a debate with someone can't bother to do basic research.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.