Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
We've been through your nonsense "it won't void the warranty" on numerous threads before.

Your advice is going to cause some folks a lot of expense.

#tubexperience doesn't care about that. He doesn't care that Apple stores will likely refuse to honor the warranty if they discover that the machine's seal has been broken and the unit opened. He's on a crusade to make people think that there can be no possible problem with their warranty if they break open their brand new iMac. He's wrong, he knows it, and he doesn't care that it will take time, money and tremendous effort to try to enforce the warranty under those circumstances. He is on a crusade, and like most crusaders, he doesn't care about the practical consequences to anyone on this forum.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
By law, Apple cannot refuse warranty simply because the user opened the machine.

The hard drive is user upgradable.

How do I know this?

..because: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-27-inch-late-2013-hdd-ssd-upgrade.2122595/
Please tell us where you received your law degree. If you don’t have one, I suggest you check with your state regarding the legality of practicing law without a license.

It’s one thing to quote a citation. It’s quite another to interpret it for others.

oscarodas

macrumors regular
May 7, 2013
Sydney Australia
Well, I'll aport my five cents worth, my daughter brought an imac which had a hard disk changed by a family member, the fault was fixed by free but the non-apple part was replaced and given back to her, as far as warranty an item has to last accordingly, that's why we don't have to buy "extra" warranty for an item which was a way of the seller to keep pinching your money.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
So no list of compatible drives then!
Correct. No such thing so no list.

In the SATA III bus, all 2.5" HDDs are compatible. None are recommended.

All 2.5" SSDs with 3D NAND and 5 year guarantees are going to work just fine and will be 4x – 6x faster than any HDD. Some will test a tiny bit faster than others but no real reason to recommend one over the other except price. The Crucial MX500 2TB is $236 at Amazon — works for me.

I do not recommend older SSDs or those with no warranty such as the Micron 1100. Work? yes but they aren't as fast and under the Micron name, there's no warranty at all. The 1100 is available with a 3 year warranty as the Crucial MX300 but it's older technology and priced the same as the MX500.

You want the max performance? The recommendation is no HDD or SSD in the SATA III slot. Install a fast 2TB NVMe 3 x4 blade such as the 970 EVO or Aura X2 Pro and, if you need more storage, a 2TB Samsung X5 external over TB3..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.