Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Hey, how are you guys doing?

Finally got a 2017 iMac mid tier model.

3,5 i5 CPU
575 GPU
512GB SSD

From the first the second on the iMac was very noisy and it just doesn't get any quieter.
I didn't even push it or open any programs.
I just installed updates and that's it.

I used a friend's 2011 i7 iMac for a while and it was way quieter.

Is it a defect? Can I test temperature or fan speed with any programs?

Really disappointed with the fan noise. Am considering a return but not sure if a replacement would have the same problem or not.

Thanks in advance!

mcomp112

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2017
There is definitely a bit of fan noise at idle but it's not a lot (I'd say it would be inaudible in a regular office environment). Is there a way for you to compare your machine with another 2017 iMac?

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
There is definitely a bit of fan noise at idle but it's not a lot (I'd say it would be inaudible in a regular office environment). Is there a way for you to compare your machine with another 2017 iMac?
thanks for replying.

Unfortunately I cant compare with other iMacs.
I know there is some fan noise at idle but this level of loudness feels like Im rendering something in After Effects. I mean I owned a PC before with a kinda open case and 3 fans and that was quieter than the iMac.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Can you install the demo of iStat and read off what the fan speed is. You could also launch Activity monitor and see if some errant program is loading the CPU. Idle up to very high loads should be 1200RPM. If it is not - you can try reinstalling the OS. If it still is noisy - could very well be factory defect. It could be simpler to give it back to apple and order a new one. There should be nothing above a whisper on that model.

Reactions: kaibob and colodane

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
FYI, I had a noisy fan on my returned i7 and it spun up and down and even rattled. What fixed it over time was the fan spinning up to 2700RPMs after I loaded up the CPU. You can download apps that can speed up the fan. Apparently, my fan needed to be "broken in".

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Propower's advice is spot on. Your machine has something wrong with it and Apple will replace it. The replacement will be quieter.

I have the identical model as you and I cannot hear it at all in my quiet office. It has run at 1200 rpm since day one. Completely silent and cool.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Thanks for all the replies!

I will test the fan speed with iStat and report back but am surely going to return it if i find anything out of the ordinary.
[doublepost=1502614231][/doublepost]Ok, i checked the activity monitor and there was nothing axing CPU, memory or the ssd.

Im sorry but there were so many apps called iStat in the app store i did not know which one to download.

But I guess even if the fan speed was at 1200 rpm the problem would still prevail.

Is there anything I need to be cautious about or do before I return my iMac?
I logged out of my Apple account. Created a new admin and deleted the original admin account. Anything else I missed?

tozz

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2014
Thanks for all the replies!

I will test the fan speed with iStat and report back but am surely going to return it if i find anything out of the ordinary.
[doublepost=1502614231][/doublepost]Ok, i checked the activity monitor and there was nothing axing CPU, memory or the ssd.

Im sorry but there were so many apps called iStat in the app store i did not know which one to download.

But I guess even if the fan speed was at 1200 rpm the problem would still prevail.

Is there anything I need to be cautious about or do before I return my iMac?
I logged out of my Apple account. Created a new admin and deleted the original admin account. Anything else I missed?
Enable FileVault if you haven't already to encrypt the drive and make the data guaranteed inaccessible.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Enable FileVault if you haven't already to encrypt the drive and make the data guaranteed inaccessible.
Thanks, man!

@All: could anyone be so kind and make a video or audio recording of their fan noise at idle for comparison? Im not audipphile or oversensitive to noise but Im worried that a replacement might be just as loud and its just my perception.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Samurai, the noise can be due to the indexing of Spotlight. Give it a time. Keep your iMac on for one day and observe later.
[doublepost=1502629710][/doublepost]This is iStat

https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/
Thank you.

Are you sure it was the spotlight indexing? Because when I looked at the activity monitor Spotlight didnt do much at all. CPU load was 1,2%. Does that already start the fan?

Had the mac running for like 1,5h total and the fan did not get any quieter.

Can anyone else confirm this indexing ossue?

Brazilano

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2016
No, I'm not 100% sure. Even the FileVault can be the cause, if you have started it recently. If I were you, I would let my iMac several hours "alone" before take a return decision.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
No, I'm not 100% sure. Even the FileVault can be the cause, if you have started it recently. If I were you, I would let my iMac several hours "alone" before take a return decision.
Ok, didnt activate FileVault yet. But considering others cant hear theirs at all there must be sth. odd going on.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Propower's advice is spot on. Your machine has something wrong with it and Apple will replace it. The replacement will be quieter.

I have the identical model as you and I cannot hear it at all in my quiet office. It has run at 1200 rpm since day one. Completely silent and cool.
Thanks, man. Just to clarify: When you first set up your iMac / started it the first time was it silent as well or did it take some time to get that quiet?

gian8989

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
i have the i7 and the fan is always at 1200rpm and doesn't make noise. It goes up only in gaming and encoding so your imac defitelly has a problem. Moreover the i5 should't make loud noise even with high cpu usage.

gian8989

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Were you referring to my video Gian?
I didn't see the video before.

You iMac has definitelly a problem either with fan sensor or fan per se. As i said I have the i7 and i don't even know if it is running or not when the screen is in standby.

Try to download Macs fan control (it's free), try to change fan speed and see if it makes an even louder noise.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Was your fan louder at idle than mine?
i cant really tell because of the high noise floor in your video but I'd say about the same. It's like a constant air flow... just like if you had your AC on in your car on a low setting.
[doublepost=1502695664][/doublepost]
Should have just reset the NVRAM before you boxed it up. Most likely was your issue. :apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
Ok, thanks, but I guess if I have to reset sth. when I just started my iMac the first time there has to be sth. wrong with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.