Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
People ran out to get the red iPhone, but the first new Apple product of 2017 hasn't been getting the same attention.
I think I could be being premature here, but with all the red iPhone coverage you would think the new iPad would be in reviewer hands after being in stores and available to order online for several days now. Maybe I'm missing something.

I know there are many people that don't care, but I think its quite an interesting product. Personally i'm interested in performance scores, the screen visibility, and the matted chambered edges as well as the teardown.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
If they were out there we'd have reviews. We'll see them in a maximum of 48 hours.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
Saw a review the other day on my Apple TV(3rd Gen.) from "9 to 5 Mac"; Bottom line was that the reviewer did not like the iPad Screen as it does not have the same screen as the iPad Pro's or iPad Mini4 which are fully laminated.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Saw a review the other day on my Apple TV(3rd Gen.) from "9 to 5 Mac"; Bottom line was that the reviewer did not like the iPad Screen as it does not have the same screen as the iPad Pro's or iPad Mini4 which are fully laminated.
That would've just been them referring to the specs, no one actually has hands on these (without an embargo).

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
The only thing I can find on the 9to5mac web site is the "Comment" from the 23rd. That is not so much a review as an editorial.

A.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
That would've just been them referring to the specs, no one actually has hands on these (without an embargo).

Yes, it was a review of the Specs, in addition, the "9 to 5" reviewer also stated that it does not have the anti reflective coating like the iPad Pro's and iPad Mini 4.
[doublepost=1490744269][/doublepost]
The only thing I can find on the 9to5mac web site is the "Comment" from the 23rd. That is not so much a review as an editorial.

A.

Get an Apple TV as I just saw this review again around 5 minutes ago. The reason I am interested is that I trying to decide on which iPad I will buy in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Get an Apple TV as I just saw this review again around 5 minutes ago.

I have two, thanks. Given the volume of content available even on the old ATV, your advice is not very useful without a very specific pointer to the channel or podcast you are watching.

A.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
They are available to order but haven't shipped yet, and you can't pick one up at the Apple Store yet either (I was just there on the weekend and while the red iPhone was on display the 2017 iPad was not and they were still selling Air 2s). It looks like they will be shipping on March 30th so expect a flood of reviews on that day.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
I have two, thanks. Given the volume of content available even on the old ATV, your advice is not very useful without a very specific pointer to the channel or podcast you are watching.

A.
On the Search Mode on your 2 ATV's type-in "iPad" and then Scroll-down to the "9 to 5 Mac" post as this is were I found it again around 15 Minutes ago.

Of course, I am assuming that your 2 ATV's are connected but you should be able to find it with only one connected???

Last edited:

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
On the Search Mode on your 2 ATV's

Well, as the ATV3 has no "Search Mode", I will guess that you are talking about YouTube. And sure enough, there is a 9to5mac recap of the Apple announcement. That is not a review. That is just a summary of information that was made available in the press release. In order for there to be a review of a product, someone actually has to have the product...

A.

Last edited:

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
Assu

Well, as the ATV3 has no "Search Mode", I will guess that you are talking about YouTube. And sure enough, there is a 9to5mac recap of the Apple announcement. That is not a review. That is just a summary of information that was made available in the press release.

A.
Yep; "YouTube on the ATV3" which was a review of the Specs in which the "9 to 5" reviewer did give his opinion on the iPad Screen Spec(s) stated above.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
They are available to order but haven't shipped yet, and you can't pick one up at the Apple Store yet either (I was just there on the weekend and while the red iPhone was on display the 2017 iPad was not and they were still selling Air 2s). It looks like they will be shipping on March 30th so expect a flood of reviews on that day.

The iPad orders left China on Monday. Mine has already landed at the airport and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow via UPS Express Saver.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
That makes sense although I'm sure some people have their hands on it and there are people that have supposedly seen it in store since the 24th. It's possible that they mixed it up with the iPad Air 2, although the screen and extra thickness is quite noticeable. However, I'm sure you're right about the 30th, i'll have to wait a little longer.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

They've already shipped and some stores already have stock.

nutriousmitten

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2017
Reviews should be interesting. Very few reviewers are going to want to bite the Apple hand that gives them review units in advance, and rip the product or focus on what it doesn't have.

So I fully expect a lot of reviews stressing on how inexpensive (don't use the word cheap,Cupertino won't like it) and value for money it is, even though Minis were cheaper to get into the tablet space prior.

What else can they say when it's a half step down from an Air 2? It's probably just fine as a tablet, but it will be odd for reviewers to tiptoe around how not able to pump up some small upgrades to an Apple product.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Reviews should be interesting. Very few reviewers are going to want to bite the Apple hand that gives them review units in advance, and rip the product or focus on what it doesn't have.

So I fully expect a lot of reviews stressing on how inexpensive (don't use the word cheap,Cupertino won't like it) and value for money it is, even though Minis were cheaper to get into the tablet space prior.

What else can they say when it's a half step down from an Air 2? It's probably just fine as a tablet, but it will be odd for reviewers to tiptoe around how not able to pump up some small upgrades to an Apple product.

Totally agreed. Especially with the Air 2 being both faster and cheaper than this tablet, almost makes you wonder if Apple have any plan in place at all.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Air 2 is in no way faster than the iPad (5th generation)/2017.

Of course it is, it has an A7!

(Whoops, I may have misunderstood nutriousmitten's post about it being a half step down as everyone playing the opposite game!)

nutriousmitten

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2017
Air 2 is in no way faster than the iPad (5th generation)/2017.
Sure is may be faster but screen is a step down, no other upgrades such as faster Touch ID. Also, accessories such as cases from the Air 2 don't fit. Jury is out if the Air 1 accessories from back when will work with this.

Point was is that few will consider this iPad an upgrade tech wise, as there are more ticks that are a downgrade from an Air 2 than the single one that is an upgrade, as well as price. The IPhone 5c is the last product Apple released that's biggest thing going for it, is the price. So tech writers are going to have to change the usual narrative when writing the review.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Sure is may be faster but screen is a step down, no other upgrades such as faster Touch ID. Also, accessories such as cases from the Air 2 don't fit. Jury is out if the Air 1 accessories from back when will work with this.

Point was is that few will consider this iPad an upgrade tech wise, as there are more ticks that are a downgrade from an Air 2 than the single one that is an upgrade, as well as price. The IPhone 5c is the last product Apple released that's biggest thing going for it, is the price. So tech writers are going to have to change the usual narrative when writing the review.
It was never positioned as an upgrade to an Air 2, even though it's faster. I think of it as an iPad SE. Respectable hardware, with a competitive price.

Reactions: rui no onna

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

Can we just agree that 1+1=2? That would make the post more readable.

The iPhone 5C and the iPhone SE seem to be doing ok filling in a particular niche?

I know it sounds totally absurd, but not everybody has the same needs when buying a tablet.

nutriousmitten

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2017
Can we just agree that 1+1=2? That would make the post more readable.

The iPhone 5C and the iPhone SE seem to be doing ok filling in a particular niche?

I know it sounds totally absurd, but not everybody has the same needs when

Again, my entire point is not about the merits of the product, it is that tech reviewers are going to have to drop the usual script when it comes to writing a review. The focus for Apple is on $ and trying to lure more people in with the lower price point, not tech specs.

When other manufacturers do this and they get blasted (wrongly) for "cheaping out" in reviews, but that type of review can't be forthcoming for an Apple product. Sure, the iPad will have its buyers regardless.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
I'm also anxiously waiting for the review of the device since A8X on the Air 2 is tri-core compared to dual-core vanilla A9 chip. If it turns out that the iPad is on par with Air2 speed-wise, then it really is a step down from Air2.

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
I'm also anxiously waiting for the review of the device since A8X on the Air 2 is tri-core compared to dual-core vanilla A9 chip. If it turns out that the iPad is on par with Air2 speed-wise, then it really is a step down from Air2.

2017 9.7 has much faster single core performance. Which is most important IMO for avg consumers compared to Multi-core performance. Also, battery is much bigger, which is great! Can't wait see the battery life on A9 which is much more efficient!

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Not sure why some are anxiously awaiting reviews on the new ipad. It offers nothing new. They often can't tell the difference between screens anyways. It'll be the best cheap tablet you can buy that reviewers don't really use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.