Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KNSmax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2023
Hi all,

As per title I need some help finding out the reason for the horizontal lines on the 2017 12 inch macbook.

If the screen is perfectly vertical the lines do not show, the moment i push the screen few millimetres further the screen is full of horizontal lines and shadows.

Does this screen have a flex cable or is it the screen that is going?

I could not find any info on this.
Any help greatly appreciated.

KNSmax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2023
After extensive research I have come to the conclusion that is not worth repairing.
The flexcable on the display of the 12" macbook is somehow built in to the screen making very difficoult to change.
I would have to change the whole display at a cost of over £300 for the gold one, in the UK new ones are out of stock at the moment.
After 5 years and 3 months it hopefully be sold for parts.

tragicwinding

Suspended
May 23, 2023
The flexcable on the display of the 12" macbook is somehow built in to the screen making very difficoult to change.

What caused the damage of the flex cable?
Cable damage is one of the most common reasons for the appearance of these lines on the screen, but certain software issues can also cause it.
Since the reasons can be different, the solutions are varied as well.

If anyone else comes across this issue, don't panic right away. Go through this guide that provides a range of solutions for dealing with lines appearing Mac's screen: https://setapp.com/how-to/fix-lines-on-mac-screen

I had the same issue, and in my case, it was caused by the software. I ran the maintenance scripts from the CleanMyMac X app, and it did the trick.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.