Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nStyle

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2009
I would never buy insurance for any consumer electronics...the likelihood of a MBP failing a month after the warranty runs out is extremely rare so just consider yourself unlucky in this instance, fix it, and move on.

The costs for repair on these things are somewhat ridiculous so I get why people do it, but I'd still argue it's rarely worth it unless you're very clumsy.

As for those people downtime is really important to minimize so being able to just drop it off to Apple and get it back is extremely valuable.

Apple will perform the exact same service regardless of how much you're paying for it. Turnaround wouldn't be any quicker (I assume) just because you have AppleCare.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Apple will perform the exact same service regardless of how much you're paying for it. Turnaround wouldn't be any quicker (I assume) just because you have AppleCare.

Sure, but I was more mentioning the time needed to shop for a new laptop.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Look, it's very simple and based on my personal experience. I didn't have a habit for buying insurance for any kind of Apple equipment, because I didn't break in some silly way like coffee or dropping it. I also didn't have a single piece of apple hardware that would fail this quickly and permanently. This made me believe I don't need no insurance.

Apparently (almost) everyone on MacRumors buys Apple Care and I surprise everyone with my story. On the other hand there are people who still complain about faulty keyboards, GPUs, LCD cables and else that is a design defect. This is what my personal complaint is and this is what I'm trying to resolve.
I can understand your point, but we are speaking about expensive gears, and a lemon could happen , unfortunately.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
What does time spent dropping a computer off for repair (what I replied to) have to with the time needed to shop for a new laptop?

Apple Care coverage alleviates the need to immediately start shopping for a new laptop to figure out if it makes more sense to repair the existing machine or just replace it. Including, figuring out what changes in workflow are needed to fully migrate to a new machine.

As you mentioned, Apple Care doesn’t speed up the actual repair process itself.

The time I am talking about will vary by user though. If you have a very simple setup then it isn’t a big deal. But if you have tons of workflow accessories such as docking station and etc it can make the decision take more than 5 minutes.

Personally, I wouldn’t like the idea of sinking $1K into a failed machine that can continue to experience issues. But, like everything the best decision is very individual and situational.

deadmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
Here’s an update: Apple has decided to spare me this time.

I went to another AASP and miraculously Apple has approved full replacement of all hardware(logic board, keyboard,trackpad,battery) parts except the LCD panel. What’s more, they gave a 1year additional warranty on repaired parts.

Yay Apple!

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
That is great news. As others have mentioned, extended warranties are designed to add profit to the company offering them, and therefore, on average, all else equal, they are not a wise purchase.

Knowing what you know now, and assuming you will not get any goodwill from Apple next time, will you purchase AppleCare if you buy another new Apple computer?

Joe

Here’s an update: Apple has decided to spare me this time.

I went to another AASP and miraculously Apple has approved full replacement of all hardware(logic board, keyboard,trackpad,battery) parts except the LCD panel. What’s more, they gave a 1year additional warranty on repaired parts.

Yay Apple!

deadmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
That is great news. As others have mentioned, extended warranties are designed to add profit to the company offering them, and therefore, on average, all else equal, they are not a wise purchase.

Knowing what you know now, and assuming you will not get any goodwill from Apple next time, will you purchase AppleCare if you buy another new Apple computer?

Joe

Without a doubt. Going to sell this one prior to the warranty expiration and gonna get a new 16” one with Apple Care.

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
I made the same decision. Even knowing that the odds favor the manufacturer, I still purchase AppleCare on my larger ticket items such as my MacBook Pro. I have used AppleCare enough now that I am ahead of the game, and it seems to me that Apple's quality control has been slipping lately, so AppleCare becomes even more important.

Joe

Without a doubt. Going to sell this one prior to the warranty expiration and gonna get a new 16” one with Apple Care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.