Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonproject

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
Hi there,

I was about to buy 2018 mac mini with i7 and 32gb ram but now things got complicated. How do you guys think i7 compares to new M1? Or vice versa ? In Apple sites they compare i3 to M1 and M1 is 3x faster than i3? So I can't tell how much better or worse this new chip is ?

I'm total noob with these and I just need computer that can handle light video editing and recording with Logic. Is this new mini with M1 and 16gb ram enough for this kind of use?

Greetings Pekka

Ps. Also not fan of "new" color
Go with the M1 and it's not even close. Video editing with FCP is a pain on my 2018 compared to my new M1. I did a quick test on this thread here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/macmini/comments/jxagbu
I'm going to miss Windows compatibility, but this M1 machine is so fast and so quiet I can't recommend it enough.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Go with the M1 and it's not even close. Video editing with FCP is a pain on my 2018 compared to my new M1. I did a quick test on this thread here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/macmini/comments/jxagbu
I'm going to miss Windows compatibility, but this M1 machine is so fast and so quiet I can't recommend it enough.
If you want to get Windows in the future Parallels Desktop, will do a version for it to work on the M1 Mac.

Reactions: Jimmy James

OldGreyGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2014
Near Brisbane, Australia
I bought this (i7/32/1TB) in March. I need to run VMWare VMs.
Mostly with Linux and FreeBSD

That, it can still do better and 32GB helps a lot there.

Everything else, it's the M1 will probably outperform it (SSD is probably faster, too).

I also paid about 1000 CHF more for i7/32/1T than M1/16/1T costs now. So i7 also "wins" there, too...
(Bought about two weeks before they lowered prices on storage...)
I did the same and am not regretting it, I7/8Gb/1Tb but upgraded the RAM myself to 32 Gb.

I had an older Late 2012 i7 Quad with 16Gb and 2 x 1Tb Sumsung SSD that I use as a workhorse backup machine & file server, runs TM & CCC to store all my iCloud and other files, an external Akito Drive plus 3 x USB drives.

Will keep an eye on what VMWare is doing and the further release of M-Class chips over the next two years and may update when we know what the full story is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd01

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Can someone answer these questions
Will the Intel and Silicon Mac,s use the same OS,s? Or will there be a different one for each one?
I don,t remember what happened when Apple went from Power PC to Intel.
And is this the end of Intel? As from the reviews, silicon blows Intel away.

4sallypat

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Will the Intel and Silicon Mac,s use the same OS,s? Or will there be a different one for each one?
As the same transition from PPC to Intel from what I remember, I would assume that Apple will support both platforms for at least 5-7 years.

So if the Apple cycle is the same as the last major processor changes - Intel will be supported for Macs from 2020 till 2027 maximum.

From then on, AS will be the platform that is supported solely.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
It’s definitely the beginning of the end for Intel on Mac.
I did put a post on another site saying what I said on here, and asking if people will be changing to a Mac with the review of the amazing M1 Mac Mini. Needless to say, none would move over to Mac. :(That's their loss. :)
If I had not bought an IMAC six months ago I would have bought the new Mini.
I would miss the IMAC 5K screen though. So I want be getting one in the near future.

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
Needless to say, none would move over to Mac. :(That's their loss. :)
If I had not bought an IMAC six months ago I would have bought the new Mini.
I agree. It's their loss. The base MBA (8gb and all) seems like a fantastic machine.

So I want be getting one in the near future.
I think this summer I will pass on my iPad Air 3 and make the MBA 8/256 my portable choice.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I did the same and am not regretting it, I7/8Gb/1Tb but upgraded the RAM myself to 32 Gb.

I had an older Late 2012 i7 Quad with 16Gb and 2 x 1Tb Sumsung SSD that I use as a workhorse backup machine & file server, runs TM & CCC to store all my iCloud and other files, an external Akito Drive plus 3 x USB drives.

Will keep an eye on what VMWare is doing and the further release of M-Class chips over the next two years and may update when we know what the full story is.

My guess is that AARM64 (or whatever it's called) releases of Linux and BSD will get a lot more love from now on.

When all the frameworks, all the languages and all the usual open source tools have native versions, developers will switch in droves.

Allmost all the heavy-lifting is done in the cloud anyway - and if you can stand up a huge, virtual cluster in half the time than on a Dell XPS, devs will take note of that.

Reactions: OldGreyGuy

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I agree. It's their loss. The base MBA (8gb and all) seems like a fantastic machine.

I think this summer I will pass on my iPad Air 3 and make the MBA 8/256 my portable choice.
One person was impressed by the M1 MAC though, they would not change to a Mac.
But who wouldn,t be impressed by the M1 Mac.:)

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
People would wait for new versions of apps like Photoshop to avoid Rosetta.
Universal apps are "fat" meaning the universal binary is larger, but there are AS only binaries that are smaller.
Rosetta 2 will get downloaded the first time an m1 x86 app is attempted, so Rosetta 2 is not part of core OS when originally installed.
The first time ant x86 app launches it goes through a code optimization process but happens only once.
Apple has Intel models in the pipeline, the Mac Pro (and iMac Pro) transition taking longer.
I'm unsure when Mac OS X ended PPC/Rosetta.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
if you live in the UK you can get it for just 669 30 pounds off, at CURRY,s I take it that is a Black Friday deal.
If I hadn't,t bought an iMac 6 months ago I would have gone for it.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
As the same transition from PPC to Intel from what I remember, I would assume that Apple will support both platforms for at least 5-7 years.

So if the Apple cycle is the same as the last major processor changes - Intel will be supported for Macs from 2020 till 2027 maximum.

From then on, AS will be the platform that is supported solely.
Although technically the PPC Macs might have been supported for some years after the first Intel-based Mac arrived, only one new OS after that came to the PPC Macs: Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) which was the Universal OS back then (PPC and Intel).
First Intel Mac shipped at the beginning of 2006, launch of Mac OS X Leopard was October 2007.
The first Mac OS release after that was for Intel only: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6): summer 2009.

So, looking at it that way, you could say that the PPC Macs were only "supported" 3 ½ years after the introduction of the first Intel Mac.

As we are in the annual releases of macOS, I would guess that the macOS released in 2023 might not run on Intel anymore. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.