Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Ya I know. It's been 6 years since retina in 2012 and they still haven't gotten it right. My 2012 retina mbp has this problem, but it's a 1st gen product. I can live it w/ it and it doesn't bother me too much. But I don't expect this in 2018 especially for those prices.

It's a real bummer. I wonder if windows 10 got the same issue.
From what I remember in Bootcamp with my Retina iMac, Windows 10 had no sluggish UI issues.
[doublepost=1536595291][/doublepost]
Doesn't happen to me with Safari. I mean, its not fluid, but responsive layout changes are expensive to calculate. I guess its a Chrome problem?
It does happen with Safari but it's not as sluggish as with Chrome. You can try loading an heavy page like Reddit in Safari and you'll notice.

Luigi3

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
That's because you're running on integrated graphics - intel hd 630. MBP cannot handle smooth graphics on this gpu. You need to switch to discrete graphics or...
downgrade to 13", since 13 inch has far better integrated graphics :D

You can go Activity Monitor -> Energy tab and see which card is currently running. Probably is 'integrated' - if you plug your mac to power and run some graphics-intensive app, i.e. Photos, it will switch to discrete and you will notice much smoother graphics.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Hello guys

I bought the new Macbook pro 2018 (Intel i7, 512GB) MR942HB/A and animations feels sluggish and stuck since the moment I started to use it.

Windows opening/closing, resizing and minimizing isn't smooth and it is stuck.
You can't miss that.

The way I see the problem clearly is by entering Gmail / Youtube on Chrome and try to resize the window.
I've uploaded a video I hope u can see it with 30fps -

I've sent my mac to the lab (Apple's re seller labs) and they confirmed there is a problem.
They gave me a new Macbook and now I see the same exact problem.

A month ago I used my friend's Macbook pro (2015) for a week and it was 100% smooth. no animation stuck and resizing was perfectly smooth.

Anyone else have this problem? please try to resize your chrome window with gmail / youtube and share how it works for you.

Thanks alot.
Beoren

You’re expecting far too much from a browser loading the YouTube front page. It’s the same on Windows too.

YouTube loads a ton of scripts.

Who resizes windows up and down left and right five times when browsing anyway? Just click on a video and play it.

Reactions: vddobrev

Beoren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2018
You’re expecting far too much from a browser loading the YouTube front page. It’s the same on Windows too.

YouTube loads a ton of scripts.

Who resizes windows up and down left and right five times when browsing anyway? Just click on a video and play it.

It's super smooth on Windows on my pc machine with far worse specs.

I showed the window resize to express the problem - the problem exist in every window closing/opening/resizing , i tried Gmail and animation is still choppier and not smooth which i did not experience with my 2017 model.
There is a problem for sure.

I expect my MacBook to run at least as smooth as a PC with Windows with this price yes.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
It's super smooth on Windows on my pc machine with far worse specs.

I showed the window resize to express the problem - the problem exist in every window closing/opening/resizing , i tried Gmail and animation is still choppier and not smooth which i did not experience with my 2017 model.
There is a problem for sure.

I expect my MacBook to run at least as smooth as a PC with Windows with this price yes.

I took a closer look. I just compared the newest MacBook Pro with my 5ghz PC that has the most powerful GPU around.

Safari tries to resize the YouTube home page in real-time.

Edge rescales the YouTube home page after you finish resizing and the page content looks glitchy until the resize is complete.

Both browsers were fast at resizing though.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Hello guys

I bought the new Macbook pro 2018 (Intel i7, 512GB) MR942HB/A and animations feels sluggish and stuck since the moment I started to use it.

Windows opening/closing, resizing and minimizing isn't smooth and it is stuck.
You can't miss that.

The way I see the problem clearly is by entering Gmail / Youtube on Chrome and try to resize the window.
I've uploaded a video I hope u can see it with 30fps -

I've sent my mac to the lab (Apple's re seller labs) and they confirmed there is a problem.
They gave me a new Macbook and now I see the same exact problem.

A month ago I used my friend's Macbook pro (2015) for a week and it was 100% smooth. no animation stuck and resizing was perfectly smooth.

Anyone else have this problem? please try to resize your chrome window with gmail / youtube and share how it works for you.

Thanks alot.
Beoren

Looks like a bum GPU to my eyes.

*edit – just saw you mentioned the DUMPSTER FIRE called Chrome. Immediately delete that malware from your system.

Last edited:

p8blr

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Wichita, KS
Quick update. I just got a new (to me) computer, a 2015 MacBook Pro 15" with Intel Iris Pro & AMD R9 M370X and I did a fresh install of High Sierra. I've tried to replicate your window resizing in Safari with and without the graphics switching enabled. Sadly my resizing animations are sluggish as well; in my opinion this is normal for Safari. I had the same performance ever since I can remember on my previous 2013 13" MacBook Pro.
Not trying to be an apologist, but I rarely move my windows like that so it's really not an issue for me. Although I do agree that we are entitled to fluid animations on our expensive computers.
Hope this helps!

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Does the problem persist in retina imacs or imac pros? Maybe people who own these machines can chime in.

I was just about to chime in with this.... my iMac pro with Vega 64 is as smooth as butter. The best Mac experience I have ever had, by quite a far margin.

Rapkowsky

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2019
@Beoren have you managed to solve this problem?
On my MacBook Pro 15 (i7 and Radeon 555X) the animations of resizing the window frame: outlook, gmail, slack etc looks heavily - meaningless with and without the graphics switching enabled.

maks1m

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2019
Safari animation lagging is not so crusial.
In my case, I have MBP 15 2018 and I have lagging animation while sliding desktops.
I've reset NVRAM and things got better but I've noticed that laptop just started using dedicated graphics in all scenarios so I went to settings turn off and on the toggle for automatic graphics switching and for now it uses Intel graphics again and sliding lag went back.
But if I slide between desktops with fullscreen apps then animation is smooth if only one desktop has a fullscreen app and another one doesn't the lag appears.
So I am pretty sure it's a software bug.
I've also tried to change a color profile and that doesn't help also some colors became no so natural.
And that is sad. ☹️

maks1m

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2019
Safari animation lagging is not so crusial.
In my case, I have MBP 15 2018 and I have lagging animation while sliding desktops.
I've reset NVRAM and things got better but I've noticed that laptop just started using dedicated graphics in all scenarios so I went to settings turn off and on the toggle for automatic graphics switching and for now it uses Intel graphics again and sliding lag went back.
But if I slide between desktops with fullscreen apps then animation is smooth if only one desktop has a fullscreen app and another one doesn't the lag appears.
So I am pretty sure it's a software bug.
I've also tried to change a color profile and that doesn't help also some colors became no so natural.
And that is sad. ☹️

Update:
I noticed that lag in swiping between desktop and another desktop with fullscreen app appears only if on the first desktop chrome or safari are visible, if some other apps are on the top then everything is smooth.

Elabar

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2019
MacBook Pro 2019 TouchBar, 2xTB3
1.4ghz quad-core
8gb ram
256gb storage
Resizing heavy page also lagging since first day I got this macbook which is not what I expected from a such pricy product.
However, I used my macbook mainly for developing purpose, I tried running two emulator (iOS, Android) at the same time, no lag at all. So what we can assure is the hardware is not the problem. It is just software kind of thing.
Then I contacted Apple Support, tell them this issue, the support told me that this is not normal at all....
Anyone else is also having this problem with similar spec with me?

d333y

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2019
MacBook Pro 2019 TouchBar, 2xTB3
1.4ghz quad-core
8gb ram
256gb storage
Resizing heavy page also lagging since first day I got this macbook which is not what I expected from a such pricy product.
However, I used my macbook mainly for developing purpose, I tried running two emulator (iOS, Android) at the same time, no lag at all. So what we can assure is the hardware is not the problem. It is just software kind of thing.
Then I contacted Apple Support, tell them this issue, the support told me that this is not normal at all....
Anyone else is also having this problem with similar spec with me?
I also have the same issue with the same model as yours. Have you got any solution yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.