Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mythos99

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2016
I got the new MBP 15 2018 in SpaceGray, and is it just me, or does the body seem to be really fragile? No matter what i do, i always get some scratches on it. This has not been the case with the MBP 2015, has it?

I work for many small companies, doing the IT, so i have to go from office to office, and i use sleeve to transport it, but i just went from one room to another and got a scratch, cause i was leaning on the wall while talking to someone, had my MBP in my hand, and it just touched the wall and now on that spot the color is gone, you can see it more in the light, but still.

Has anyone else experiences something like this? I'm scared to take it with me now, or did Apple mean for me to leave it at my desk, and don't move it at all?

Reactions: martyjmclean

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I feel that my 2018 is less durable then my 2012. I don't know if its because of it being thinner then my older laptop, or the keyboard but it just doesn't feel sturdy. Anyways, I slapped a dbrands skin on it, so I could protect the fit and finish. I'm happy I did that, and I'd recommend that or something similar.

synergize

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
I feel that my 2018 is less durable then my 2012. I don't know if its because of it being thinner then my older laptop, or the keyboard but it just doesn't feel sturdy. Anyways, I slapped a dbrands skin on it, so I could protect the fit and finish. I'm happy I did that, and I'd recommend that or something similar.
dbrands skins are top notch, have one still in perfect shape after 4 years. I think they might use 3M material.

Mythos99

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2016

Yeah, i have the same feeling, i‘m scared even walking with it holding it in one hand, cause somehow it feels like it could break at anytime, but maybe i‘m still not used to it.

Do the dbrans skins also give a protection to side of the mbp, where the ports are?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No side protection, just top and bottom. as for carrying it, when it leaves my desk, I put it in an old (but still very useful) Waterfield laptop bag with a should strap. When walking around my house with it, i.e., from my desk, to the couch or something, tend to be even more careful then I use to be.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Definitely not as durable as the previous design, too much focus is on just being thinner. I pretty much travel internationally continuously for work purpose and I'd be worried that a 15" would be damaged just in the bag. The 2012 design was pretty much bullet proof with no such concerns, proving it's self over & over again.

Apple want's it's professional user base back it needs to start designing around usage not purely the aesthetic as for "us" the notebook needs to work first and foremost, not be riddled with issues...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: Mythos99

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
I never heard of dbran skins before. Just went to the website. How hard is it to remove the skins? Why put it on the trackpad?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Its anodised aluminium, it scratches (especially if you rub it agains stone walls :eek:). Since the color is different it might also be easier to spot scratches on the newer models.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How hard is it to remove the skins? Why put it on the trackpad?
I don't know how they stick on, I don't think its a strong adhesive as you can pull it off without damage.

I don't use anything on the trackpad, I just don't like the look

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't know how they stick on, I don't think its a strong adhesive as you can pull it off without damage.

I don't use anything on the trackpad, I just don't like the look
I like the idea of the skins. I had a case on my 2012 MBP that finally bit the dust. I have been going with out a case since but the aluminum is hard to grab. Too smooth. I will have to try the skins when I get my new one.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The surface finish is really durable, I never ever used a cover or skin etc. on any portable Mac, it's more the structural rigidity that concerns, more so the 15"

Q-6
Agreed, its not the surface I'm worried about, but that doesn't mean I won't take steps to protect it. I also like the look that the skin provides :)

myret

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2018
I think space grey is less durable in any case compared to silver since there is an extra space grey layer it may come off easily.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Agreed, its not the surface I'm worried about, but that doesn't mean I won't take steps to protect it. I also like the look that the skin provides :)

Certainly fair enough if one wants to change the aesthetic or take the extra step. Personally it just wasn't a concern and to me part of the experience was the surface finish. Same with the Surface Book I never covered that and it still looks pristine and my daughter use it all over the place.

Not so sure about these new fabric finishes such as SP6 & SL2 has, equally I now have a Switch 5, so I'll see how it's keyboard stands up to the dirt & grime soon enough...

Q-6

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
since you go thinner with the same materials it become more fragile
I think the current gen its the 3d gen that got thinner aluminum
Prior 2012 models , retina2012-2016 and this current one
I hope we dont go ipad pro territory next gen,when the mbp will bend just keeping in the air with one hand

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
Anyways, I slapped a dbrands skin on it, so I could protect the fit and finish. I'm happy I did that, and I'd recommend that or something similar.
Does the dbrand skin provide more grip? For example, when grabbing a 15” MBP with one hand to put it in a case or carry around the house. And do they have a simple clear skin instead of all the fancy designs and colors?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Which pattern did you get and were you worried that it would affect heat distribution ?
[doublepost=1545238797][/doublepost]
do they have a simple clear skin instead of all the fancy designs and colors?

Looking at their website, you can order it clear.

edit: You can't get it clear.

Last edited:

jakespeed

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Best Skins Ever makes a nice clear skin for the MacBooks. Its a wet install so you have to be careful but I have never had trouble. If you get their matte finish, you can hardly tell the skin is there other than the increased grip you get.

Reactions: SDColorado

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I use a clear matte BestSkinEver on my 2018 MBP 15. Seems to work quite well. I was worried about applying the decal and getting water in the unit, but that turned out to be a non-issue. The end result is that you can barely see the skin and it is effective at keeping minor scratches and scrapes from marring the space gray finish.

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
Looking at their website, you can order it clear.
I still couldn’t find the clear dbrand skin but I contacted them and they said they don’t offer it in clear and no plans to do so anytime soon. They said there are two types of clear skins on the market a dry-apply and a wet-apply but it doesn’t meet their strict standards, good to hear they stand behind quality products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.