Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I still couldn’t find the clear dbrand skin but I contacted them and they said they don’t offer it in clear and no plans to do so anytime soon. They said there are two types of clear skins on the market a dry-apply and a wet-apply but it doesn’t meet their strict standards, good to hear they stand behind quality products.

You are right. On their website selection, they have a none selection but it looks like it is only used to remove the skin for comparison :(.

https://dbrand.com/shop/apple-macbook-pro-15-skins-touch-bar

I like white marble or bamboo.

Last edited:

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
I don't use the laptop in clamshell mode, so I can't say one way or another.

Do you carry yours around in a sleeve or anything. I'm really tempted to get one, but I'm a little dubious that the edges will start to peel away when I take it in and out of its sleeve everyday.

Or can I get away with having a sleeve altogether?

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
There must be some variance in the reliability of the finish on the MBPs. There are some photos from some people here that show their Space Grey MBP not just with scratches, but with the finish wearing off.

On the other hand, I haven't had any such problems. I have a 2016 and have never used a case on it. I'm also not super careful with it. It goes in and out of a bag all the time and I carry it around town a lot. I've got some fingerprints on the shiny Apple logo, but other than that there aren't any really noticeable blemishes. I'm sure if I grabbed a magnifying glass I'd see some scratches, but I don't see any just glancing at it.

This laptop doesn't *feel* like it's very durable, but I'm not so sure that I'd rate it lower in durability than my previous MBP models. I dropped this thing almost 3 feet with the lid open. It fell off my bed onto a worn out carpeted floor. I think if that happened to my 2012, the hinge would have snapped. This thing is tougher than it looks.

I don't know if some units are just lemons or if I just scored a unit from a super reliable batch. All the issues I've had have been minor.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There must be some variance in the reliability of the finish on the MBPs. There are some photos from some people here that show their Space Grey MBP not just with scratches, but with the finish wearing off.
I've seen people swear up and down that the finish is incredibly durable, and likewise others say its not. I think it is, but I also chose to put a dbrands skin on it, and not take a chance :)

Reactions: SDColorado

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Seems like the thinner these things get, they are less robust in construction.

No doubt some of my early MBPro units were much more capable of abuse but they were three times thicker!

It is another compromise we make because Apple and many of it's customers want things so thin.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
See my story a couple of posts above. These things are tougher than they look.

I hope to not find out. I bought the SpaceGrey 2018 MBPro 15" just because I was tired of silver. My laptop seldom leaves the house. I knew when I bought it that the anodized finish would scratch and accept that, but wearing off would be another story.

Reactions: smirking

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I had the 2012 rMBP then the i9 for a month or so, and 2018 indeed felt more flimsy.
gf's sister bent both corners of the lid of the 2017 while in back pack, in a sleeve. ... the 2012 i had fell in a backpack and didn't even dent.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
These days it seems everyone buys space gray, so the silver is so clean and refreshing again imo.

as for durability, my 2015 15" feels less solid than my 2010 15" did, which was expected. also my wifes 2013 13" feels more solid than my 15", also expected. that said, my 2015 doesnt feel not solid because i only handle it with two hands and the lid closed, or under my arm in a padded sleeve.

myret

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2018
These days it seems everyone buys space gray, so the silver is so clean and refreshing again imo.

as for durability, my 2015 15" feels less solid than my 2010 15" did, which was expected. also my wifes 2013 13" feels more solid than my 15", also expected. that said, my 2015 doesnt feel not solid because i only handle it with two hands and the lid closed, or under my arm in a padded sleeve.
That is the exact reason why I bought silver

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Having the 2018 for a day now I can say it is thinner but I would not say any less sturdy. I would not want to drop it from any distance but it seems to be solidly built.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.