Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PetePetePete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
I have a 2019 Macbook Air that is dead. I've had pretty poor experiences with the Apple Store in the past so we brought it to a local repair center that we trust. He's telling me that he believes it is the T2 chip.

Machine:
Apple MacBook Air (13-inch Retina display, 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, 256GB) - Space Gray
Bought in January 2019

Questions.
1) If this machine is brought to an Apple Store is there any chance that they will repair it at no charge? In my world it isn't that old, and it was extremely expensive in comparison to a Windows machine. Or is that a non-starter?

2) The repair center is telling me it's a $500 repair -- which I'm not certain I am willing to do. I can buy a very nice Windows based laptop that will last longer than 3 years for that money.

Any other thoughts? We tried every single other trick before bringing it to the repair. The trackpad (magnetic) was dead, and the cap-lock was dead. So I do believe the tech's diagnosis is right, but...

Any input here would be great.

Many thanks,
Pete

PetePetePete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
It's interesting... the original guy we brought it to says,
"
We don't think it's the T2 chip. Usually problems with the T2 are, no power, 5v no amp, HD is missing, and OS won't update / stuck in critical loop error. The fact that it turns on and loads the OS tells us the T2 is okay, at least from what we've seen and we've done quite a few of these 2018+ models.
These models are known for cpu failures and Apple actually had them under a mandatory recall for awhile but I'm not sure if that's still up or not. Their design is quite silly, they put a little heat sink on there and a fan about 2 inches to the left, but they didn't put a heat pipe going from the heat sink to the fan so heat never gets properly transferred which ultimately kills the CPU.
"

the original guy also says,

"
We were using an 87w adapter so I'm not sure if that's the difference, a lower wattage one may not turn it on. But every time we unplugged the battery, plugged it back in, and then attached the adapter it would turn on for about a minute then freeze and shutdown. We would wait awhile for it to cool down, then it would do it again.
"

The local guy says he thinks it's the T2.

But he can't guarantee it's the T2. So I could be on the hook for the part which isn't included in the "no fix, no fee" and the part will take 3 weeks to arrive.

If I sell for parts, I have to worry about the hard drive data in the event someone is able to repair the machine... so that's a concern.

I suppose I could remove the mainboard, which I *think* is where the SSD drive is (correct?)... and sell the rest for parts? The screen and everything else is great.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
So far you've taken it to two different repair guys and gotten two different answers? Even though you've previously had poor experience with the Apple store, if it were me, I'd take to them anyway and see what they say, especially since one of your trusted repair guys says there may be a recall that might effect what kind of repair cost you're looking at

Reactions: PetePetePete

PetePetePete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
You make a valid point. The thought of going into one of their stores makes my stomach churn. I can't stand them. But... it is worth a try based on your thoughts.

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2009
It is best advice you will realize later
you need pro diagnostics and they will do it.
whether you repair or sell depends on the diagnosis
abd you will get it instead of reading worthless replies

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Questions.
1) If this machine is brought to an Apple Store is there any chance that they will repair it at no charge? In my world it isn't that old, and it was extremely expensive in comparison to a Windows machine. Or is that a non-starter?
Unless you purchased AppleCare there is no way Apple will fix it for free. Unless if course it's less than a year old, in which case Apple's limited warranty applies.

2) The repair center is telling me it's a $500 repair -- which I'm not certain I am willing to do. I can buy a very nice Windows based laptop that will last longer than 3 years for that money.
No, you can't. You can buy a sh*tty cheap plastic box that runs Windows 11 Home for $500 but you won't be able to buy a very nice and good Windows-based laptop for $500.

What exactly is the problem with your MacBook Air anyway?

PetePetePete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
Unless you purchased AppleCare there is no way Apple will fix it for free. Unless if course it's less than a year old, in which case Apple's limited warranty applies.

No, you can't. You can buy a sh*tty cheap plastic box that runs Windows 11 Home for $500 but you won't be able to buy a very nice and good Windows-based laptop for $500.

What exactly is the problem with your MacBook Air anyway?

No power, does not turn on. I was not able to replicate the "turns on" part of the above conversation. There are no key-strokes, etc. that will turn the machine on.

Reactions: mj_

PetePetePete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
P.S. The Dell that I just bought my kid runs Windows 11 like a charm, and has a 15 (not 13) inch screen.
The only difference is that the Dell actually works and the Apple doesn't.

Sorry - I know this is an Apple shrine, but sometimes people need to call it like they see it.

Reactions: JPack

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
P.S. The Dell that I just bought my kid runs Windows 11 like a charm, and has a 15 (not 13) inch screen.
The only difference is that the Dell actually works and the Apple doesn't.

Sorry - I know this is an Apple shrine, but sometimes people need to call it like they see it.
OK. If you say so.
I'm done here, good luck.

PetePetePete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
OK. If you say so.
I'm done here, good luck.

I'm sorry if my comparative analysis of my particular circumstance made you uneasy. I'm happy that you appear to have had great support and luck with your Apple hardware.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
I have a 2019 Macbook Air that is dead. I've had pretty poor experiences with the Apple Store in the past so we brought it to a local repair center that we trust. He's telling me that he believes it is the T2 chip.

Machine:
Apple MacBook Air (13-inch Retina display, 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, 256GB) - Space Gray
Bought in January 2019

Questions.

Any other thoughts? We tried every single other trick before bringing it to the repair. The trackpad (magnetic) was dead, and the cap-lock was dead. So I do believe the tech's diagnosis is right, but...

Any input here would be great.

Many thanks,
Pete
Try disabling the T2 chip secure boot and all (CMD + R) see if that works

t2.jpeg

You’re not me

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2021
Make an appointment with an "Apple Genius", take your MacBook Air in, don’t mention anything about taking it to a different repair shop and see what they say. Be courteous and act helpless, you may get them to help you out a little bit.

Publicstaticvoid

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
Ok, I just created an account to maybe help out:
The Mac might be in its special T2 recovery mode.
It means that the Mac will appear dead, make no sound and appear as if it is not reacting to anything. But with Apple Configurator 2 (public Apple software) and a second Mac running said software you could check it yourself. You hook them up by the charging cable, Apple should have instructions online on how to do it.
Apple will do it for free in the store as well afaik, so the Apple support would be your best option. They restore the firmware and might have delete all its data, but at least the Mac would be working again.

Publicstaticvoid

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
Is there an easy way to set up a Device Enrollment Manager?
Not in this scenario. If it is the recovery mode, you should see this as your Mac in a state of panic. Only the replacement of the logic board (and by extension firmware/T2 chip) or the restoration of the firmware (with Apple Configurator 2) will help. Your Mac doesn't connect to any network or anything, it just hangs in there and waits.

PetePetePete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
Not in this scenario. If it is the recovery mode, you should see this as your Mac in a state of panic. Only the replacement of the logic board (and by extension firmware/T2 chip) or the restoration of the firmware (with Apple Configurator 2) will help. Your Mac doesn't connect to any network or anything, it just hangs in there and waits.

Understood. So downloading the AC2 and running it on another mac or iphone, along with this laptop isn't an option since the machine will not turn on, correct?

Publicstaticvoid

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
Nope, not what I meant 😅

Here is the support article from Apple, explaining in detail what you would need to do.
As for the cable that is required: the one you charge your MacBook Air with definitely works for the connection between the two Macs.

The second Mac is used to revive your MacBook Air, so your Air doesn't need to actually turn on or show any signs of life for this to work. The second Mac will do all the work.

Reactions: Saturn007

PetePetePete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
That's my speed! Step-by-step! Ok. I'll try it today. I'm not optimistic, and I have to think that the repair shops would have tried it -- but... I'm smart enough to know, there's always a chance!

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.