Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PetePetePete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
Grrr... the "working" Mac is a Mini that does not have a USB-C port. It is a A1347...
The broken Mac (trying to revive is the A1932).

Am I correct that this method won't work with that combination of devices? I also have a newer iPad Pro and an iPhone 12.

Any love between all of that?

Sorry for all the hand-holding. But appreciate the help.
Pete

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
If the machine is fixed, would it be worth more than $500? If not, don't think it's worth repairing unless you need access to the data on it and there is no other way to get to that.

Reactions: PetePetePete

PetePetePete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
If the machine is fixed, would it be worth more than $500? If not, don't think it's worth repairing unless you need access to the data on it and there is no other way to get to that.

It's a close one. It's worth anywhere from $500-$700 depending on who buys. We have the box and it shows like new (always in a case). My thought process is I can get it fixed for $480 (by Apple) and then sell it and if I do it right make a little lunch money. Or... keep it, but make DAMN sure it's backed up this time. Then when it dies, sell it for parts. I'd likely make even money that way and gain the use of it.

I sure have learned my lesson with this company.

Publicstaticvoid

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
Grrr... the "working" Mac is a Mini that does not have a USB-C port. It is a A1347...
The broken Mac (trying to revive is the A1932).

Am I correct that this method won't work with that combination of devices? I also have a newer iPad Pro and an iPhone 12.

Any love between all of that?

Sorry for all the hand-holding. But appreciate the help.
Pete
No, I don’t think you can make the Mac mini do what I suggested. No chance the iPad or iPhone can do that job.

Have you been to Apple? Have they tried the restore? Any appointment with them is free, other than it costing your time and patience…

The_Croupier

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
It is best advice you will realize later
you need pro diagnostics and they will do it.
whether you repair or sell depends on the diagnosis
abd you will get it instead of reading worthless replies
I tend to disagree based on apples dodgy practice. We have all seen the video of them saying you need a logic board replacement when in reality it could be something as simple as a bent pin on a connector.
I’m not saying that’s the case in this instance but buyers should be aware of apples unconscionable practices.

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2009
I tend to disagree based on apples dodgy practice. We have all seen the video of them saying you need a logic board replacement when in reality it could be something as simple as a bent pin on a connector.
I’m not saying that’s the case in this instance but buyers should be aware of apples unconscionable practices.
yeah, and you will be the one looking for a bent connector under microscope? Do you realize how difficult it is to repair mainboard for non-tech people?

The_Croupier

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
yeah, and you will be the one looking for a bent connector under microscope? Do you realize how difficult it is to repair mainboard for non-tech people?
By non tech people you mean apples bread and butter. By all means take it to Apple within warranty, and if in AU take it in before 2 years of date of purchase and look at the geniuses frown when you mention consumer rights and law.
Also cheap $5 3x magnifier glasses and a decent phone camera is all you need to check for problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.