Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well at least it was super close this time, with Max just holding off Norris at the line. If not for that mistake on Lap 61 lap, he might have had DRS for Lap 62 to get past. McLaren could be a threat for the CC with Perez floundering again.

I wonder if Piastri could have taken it if not for the stewards being arses. As I feared he was stuck behind the Ferraris as they were the class of the field on Mediums and finished 4th. Charles and Carlos 3rd and 5th.

Nightmare for Alonso and Albon. Surprised they both stayed out as long as they did as it was just putting unnecessary mileage on the chassis and powertrains. I would have retired them well before.

Reactions: Glideslope

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Well at least it was super close this time, with Max just holding off Norris at the line. If not for that mistake on Lap 61 lap, he might have had DRS for Lap 62 to get past. McLaren could be a threat for the CC with Perez floundering again.

I wonder if Piastri could have taken it if not for the stewards being arses. As I feared he was stuck behind the Ferraris as they were the class of the field on Mediums and finished 4th. Charles and Carlos 3rd and 5th.

Nightmare for Alonso and Albon. Surprised they both stayed out as long as they did as it was just putting unnecessary mileage on the chassis and powertrains. I would have retired them well before.
Red Bull have been struggling all weekend, so it could potentially be a one off similar to Singapore last year. Time will tell.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Red Bull have been struggling all weekend, so it could potentially be a one off similar to Singapore last year. Time will tell.

Max was definitely off his game, but with Buemei's simulator help he finally had a good enough setup for FP3 and qualifying.

I think McLaren is "second best" right now, having passed Ferrari. Norris would have had Max with a couple more laps and once past, I did not see Max taking it back. And Piastri was just plain robbed by the stewards, IMO. Easily would have been both of them on the podium.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Absolute Master Drive from Max. 2 more laps and Lando probably would have been in a position to try and pass. 13 laps with dying Hards and a 5 sec penalty if he's over then line again with the MCL38 closing .8 a lap for a while. No pressure.

Max's 1st stint was the winning margin. McLaren definitely on par with RBR now. Not sure about Ferrari in Race Setup. Very surprised at Chuck's inability to close on Lando. Ferrari blew Carlos’ stop strategy.

I'd like to see McLaren try and put Oscar in these positions more often. I think he is faster than Lando given the right strategy.

Time for RBR to sign Carlos for 2025.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Well that was fun. But at the this rate and with this competition red bull won’t win the manufacturers championship. Checo needs to get with it.

On a different note I left Sky on, and Indy qualifying came on. My gosh what is that crap. Weird ugly cars and never having to change a gear or slow down in corners. Surely that is not racing? 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: pachyderm

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Well that was fun. But at the this rate and with this competition red bull won’t win the manufacturers championship. Checo needs to get with it.

On a different note I left Sky on, and Indy qualifying came on. My gosh what is that crap. Weird ugly cars and never having to change a gear or slow down in corners. Surely that is not racing? 🤷‍♂️

I hear you. Indy is quite different from the "Regular Schedule." I only watch the Road Circuits. I've found most of them quite competitive. Some more than others.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Not defending Sergio, but it's safe to "assume" all of the resourses were directed into Max's RB20 setup. Checo was most likely left with minimal attention.

Maybe not.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yes it seemed clear both Max and Sergio had setup issues as they finished next to each other in FP1 and FP2, but Max was a fair bit better than Sergio in FP3 (and Qualifying). So it is possible that they focused everything on Max overnight on Friday and in the morning on Saturday, but I mean they can't really blame Sergio if they hung him out to dry and it also seems weird for RB to focus solely on Max considering McLaren and Ferrari were threats and doing so arguably would have hung Max out to dry in the race as well as risk CC points.

The realist in me thinks that Max, being Max, was just able to do more with what Buemi learned in the simulator Friday night/Saturday morning and was able to convert that to a better position in FP3 and Qualifying.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Yes it seemed clear both Max and Sergio had setup issues as they finished next to each other in FP1 and FP2, but Max was a fair bit better than Sergio in FP3 (and Qualifying). So it is possible that they focused everything on Max overnight on Friday and in the morning on Saturday, but I mean they can't really blame Sergio if they hung him out to dry and it also seems weird for RB to focus solely on Max considering McLaren and Ferrari were threats and doing so arguably would have hung Max out to dry in the race as well as risk CC points.

The realist in me thinks that Max, being Max, was just able to do more with what Buemi learned in the simulator Friday night/Saturday morning and was able to convert that to a better position in FP3 and Qualifying.

I agree. Solid evaluation.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Max was definitely off his game, but with Buemei's simulator help he finally had a good enough setup for FP3 and qualifying.

I think McLaren is "second best" right now, having passed Ferrari. Norris would have had Max with a couple more laps and once past, I did not see Max taking it back. And Piastri was just plain robbed by the stewards, IMO. Easily would have been both of them on the podium.
I was not aware team pawpaw laid a charge of theft against any of the members of the stewards.. What was stolen? I have not seen any arrest reports.. If a driver or a team is any good, then making up 3 places should be a snooze.. Pastry did not do this, 7 seconds behind a car from the donkey factory.. Slow as stale pawpaws..

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
It’s only some of the fastest, most competitive racing in the world. What’s wrong with racing where there isn’t a 90 percent chance Max doesn’t win every week?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
It’s only some of the fastest, most competitive racing in the world. What’s wrong with racing where there isn’t a 90 percent chance Max doesn’t win every week?
Ugly cars with those kind of corona see through facemasks, cars sounding weird, no need to slow down for corners, commentary that is even worse than Sky Sports own is, Display constantly on for RPM, throttle position. Oh many the list goes on, just not for me. And it sounds like that annoying musquito you have in your room.

Oh and when the racing isn't taken to the rest of the world one really doesn't know whether it is the most competitive racing in the world do we? A bit like baseball, not that popular outside of the state, yet any team we used to meet in competitions we used to beat easily...

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

I agree, as Max mentioned, he really had to work for this one.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Ugly cars with those kind of corona see through facemasks, cars sounding weird, no need to slow down for corners, commentary that is even worse than Sky Sports own is, Display constantly on for RPM, throttle position. Oh many the list goes on, just not for me. And it sounds like that annoying musquito you have in your room.

Oh and when the racing isn't taken to the rest of the world one really doesn't know whether it is the most competitive racing in the world do we? A bit like baseball, not that popular outside of the state, yet any team we used to meet in competitions we used to beat easily...
The aero screen is better looking than the halo at least, and if it prevents drivers from dying then it's for a good cause. On tracks like Indianapolis the cars are running with nearly no wings (they're pushing 400 kph average speeds), so they look different than road course spec. The sound is no worse than F1 cars used to be, the V8s and V10s F1 used to run were more mosquito-like than anything.

Unlike baseball Indy has a roster of drivers from all over the world, with more countries represented than in F1 at the moment. Alonso tried and failed to even qualify in his most recent attempt (in a 'spec' car). It's a very tight field, especially at a race like the Indy 500. I know that it's difficult to comprehend this if you come from an F1 background, but competitive racing is when multiple participants are competing for the win. In a 2015 race, for instance, there were over 3,000 on track passes in a single IndyCar race over 250 laps.

If anything I'd compare F1 with sports like baseball in how artificial its world championship is: much like how the winning team of the World Series will be American, the WDC in F1 will be in the car that is faster than the rest regardless of how good the drivers actually are.

It's okay not to like other racing. But this superiority complex that many F1 fans have is silly. I watch many types of racing from time to time: F1, Indy, NASCAR, drag racing, touring cars, bicycle racing, etc. They all have their charms and things that make them special. F1 has some of the most impressive cars and performance, but the racing is not great most of the time. IndyCar is one of the more 'pure' forms of high level racing today, a level playing field with minimal gimmicks where driver quality really matters.

• Wow

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Indy isn’t for me and I watch a few types of racing. I stick with F1 very loosely and don’t even watch highlights of every race, but still read up on what is going on and the developments. I enjoy the technology aspect as I’m from an engineering background and F1 is the pinnacle for that. It’s a habit after following it for 35 years even if it’s gone downhill in terms of excitement over the past decade and a half. Nothing beats road racing for me, it’s the last type of pure high speed racing. It’s all on the rider and the courage they have. Much like F1 used to be. The closer they are to death, the higher they feel.

‘Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing’ DJ.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
The aero screen is better looking than the halo at least, and if it prevents drivers from dying then it's for a good cause. On tracks like Indianapolis the cars are running with nearly no wings (they're pushing 400 kph average speeds), so they look different than road course spec. The sound is no worse than F1 cars used to be, the V8s and V10s F1 used to run were more mosquito-like than anything.

Unlike baseball Indy has a roster of drivers from all over the world, with more countries represented than in F1 at the moment. Alonso tried and failed to even qualify in his most recent attempt (in a 'spec' car). It's a very tight field, especially at a race like the Indy 500. I know that it's difficult to comprehend this if you come from an F1 background, but competitive racing is when multiple participants are competing for the win. In a 2015 race, for instance, there were over 3,000 on track passes in a single IndyCar race over 250 laps.

If anything I'd compare F1 with sports like baseball in how artificial its world championship is: much like how the winning team of the World Series will be American, the WDC in F1 will be in the car that is faster than the rest regardless of how good the drivers actually are.

It's okay not to like other racing. But this superiority complex that many F1 fans have is silly. I watch many types of racing from time to time: F1, Indy, NASCAR, drag racing, touring cars, bicycle racing, etc. They all have their charms and things that make them special. F1 has some of the most impressive cars and performance, but the racing is not great most of the time. IndyCar is one of the more 'pure' forms of high level racing today, a level playing field with minimal gimmicks where driver quality really matters.

The Halo is better looking sorry.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

The cars really are ugly.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I agree. Not sure how drivers in IndyCar get the air flow through the front helmet vents to stay cool when the cockpit has a full frontal shield? It must be so hot. At least with the halo it is almost invisible when watching the racing.

This has actually been a large point of controversy this season. The height, and more importantly the rake of the frontal shield were changed. Drivers have been complaining of a lack of airflow. Back on April 28th some drivers became ill from the internal heat at the Birmingham, Alabama GP.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
This has actually been a large point of controversy this season. The height, and more importantly the rake of the frontal shield were changed. Drivers have been complaining of a lack of airflow. Back on April 28th some drivers became ill from the internal heat at the Birmingham, Alabama GP.
Interesting, cheers. It was something that has always crossed my mind but had no idea it had been an issue. Imagine these cars racing in places like Qatar and Bahrain, it would probably kill a driver ultimately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.