Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
Looking strongly at a New M2 Mini. Costco just dropped the price of the 8gig model to $499. Anyone here have one?

How is it?

Gary

Bfarmer38119

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Memphis
Why did you replace it ?
I had too many memory warnings with the memory swapping. I think the software may be improved for 8 gig systems now but I’m much happier with the additional memory. I am Not a heavy User but did alot of multi tasking. I also got a larger hard disk, too.

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2024
I had too many memory warnings with the memory swapping. I think the software may be improved for 8 gig systems now but I’m much happier with the additional memory. I am Not a heavy User but did alot of multi tasking. I also got a larger hard disk, too.
I see , how much of the disk was used up in what span of time ?

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Except for the initial cost, there is never anything wrong with more RAM or additional storage, so go for it!

Reactions: Ruftzooi

SkweeBop

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2024
Another vote for a minimum of 16GB of ram. Consider that software will always be developed at a faster rate than hardware, and will always nudge toward using more resources over time.

Reactions: Ruftzooi

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Depends on what you are doing with your Mac. What machine do you have today? Restart Mac, do your usual stuff, check activity monitor later. How is memory pressure?
How big is your current SSD and how much is used? Do you trust the cloud for all your data or you want store something locally?
Do you play games?
Many many questions. BTW if we will see today the M4 the M2 is already 2 gens old don't expect full MacOS longevity after purchase.

Reactions: Bfarmer38119

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
Depends on what you are doing with your Mac. What machine do you have today? Restart Mac, do your usual stuff, check activity monitor later. How is memory pressure?
How big is your current SSD and how much is used? Do you trust the cloud for all your data or you want store something locally?
Do you play games?
Many many questions. BTW if we will see today the M4 the M2 is already 2 gens old don't expect full MacOS longevity after purchase.
Right now I'm using a 2012 mac mini with 12gig ram and a 250gig SSD. running Catalina. I don't do anything that really requires a great deal of ram, plus I can't really afford the cost of the 16gig machine.

Gary

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
The 8GB model can handle far more than many forum users give it credit for. It sounds like it will be just fine for your uses. Extra ram is a nice to have, but we live in an era where storage is as fast as ram once was. Yes, it’s a few orders of magnitude slower than modern ram, but it will handle the occasional increase in ram needs just fine by using swap.

Given that a machine with 16GB of ram starts at $799, I don’t think it’s worth a 60% premium for ram that you don’t need now. Save the cash and pick up a new base model in a few years when you need more computing power or Apple comes out with a hardware-locked feature that you really want.

The people that max out machines eyeing 8-10 years of service end up in a situation where their machine ends up needing the massive amounts of ram because they are several generations behind and the then ancient cpu and ram have to make up for hardware-based accelerators that they do not have. Those that need ram upgrades usually know it. Future proofing is a fool’s errand. Stay in budget, get what you need and replace it when it’s time.

Reactions: Bazza1

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I have an 8 / 256 M2 Mini that I routinely run Office (several products open at the same time), a couple of browsers (often open at the same time and with multiple tabs open on each), use Zoom / FaceTime, do basic photo and video manipulation / editing, run a few peripherals - like external drives and printers - and do the occasional video streaming. And everything seems fine.

I rarely see the beachball, and then, when I do, its more often than not an Apple app temporarily misbehaving. Would more RAM solve that? Probably not.

Now granted, I do keep the device 'clean' over and above the default Apple management (I use CleanMyMac X, but the free Onyx is a good bet, too), and while I understand the popularity of more RAM (as noted), the combo of new chips and SSD covers a lot of bottlenecks older technology created. And while you'll pay a premium for more more RAM, its unikely you'll ever realize that expense back when / if you do a trade-in / sell it down the line.

Now, if you're into some fairly complex spreadsheets, doing CAD or 3D graphics and animations, or are running multiple OSs or are blasting thru some of the games being ported to Mac, more RAM is probably a given, but buying more RAM to 'future-proof' your Mac is a mug's game. Heck, I still have my 'old' 2017 MacBook Intel Air (8 / 256) I keep around for work / travel, and it sill runs the (updated) software I need it to do without beachballs.

Oh, and short of some deals at retailers (like Costco), you might want to take a look at Apple's own online Reburb site. You may find the Mini you are looking for at a price you can afford. All items come with same warranties as new (plus available for AppleCare) and are shipped free. Stock always changing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.