Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I wanted to stop streaming so much, lower my phone bill, and have everything on my 7 plus. I was able to cut my phone bill in half.

Streaming costs money? I'm on tmobile, and they don't charge for any streaming.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Seems like a total waste to me to have all of your music on your phone when you probably actually listen to .01 percent of it over the life of the phone.

Obviously depends on the person, but I like to shuffle all of the songs in my library and listen to stuff I don't typically hear or even remember I have.
[doublepost=1476906910][/doublepost]

Yes, anything that uses data costs money typically. I considered T-Mobile for this reason, but I wouldn't want to rely on their network for my music. Still prefer to have everything local on my iPhone.

Reactions: deany

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Yes, data costs as well as streaming services have a monthly cost. Sure you could use free streaming services but those have caveats such as ads or lower quality sound.

you should switch to tmobile. they don't charge anything for streaming. much better customer care than either att or verizon, too.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
you should switch to tmobile. they don't charge anything for streaming. much better customer care than either att or verizon, too.
Thanks, I'm aware of what is offered by T-Mobile. T-Mobile would actually be more expensive for what I get on Verizon ever since they moved to this T-Mobile One plan.

Also, I have enough data to where I'm not effected like the poster had mentioned. I never go over my data with my usage.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
92GB of offline Google Play Music most of it not mine.
cheers
ps
feel sorry for the spotify 3333 track rule I must have past that a while back!

Elwots

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
I will never understand these types of posts. Same thing with people arguing why/why not use a case or screen protector. Use what you like and what works for you. The only reason people argue about what someone else should like is because they're trying to justify their own decisions. "You do you and I'll do me."

Elwots

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
To those of you who have thousands of songs on your phone, are all of them purchased from iTunes? Or do you have another method of obtaining music? I'm new to the iPhone, so I'm not aware of the options besides iTunes or music streaming. I'm not interested in any pirating sites, only legitimate methods.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I always buy the most storage I can. It's not a big difference in cost. I do like to keep a fair amount of 6gb movies on iPhone.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
To those of you who have thousands of songs on your phone, are all of them purchased from iTunes? Or do you have another method of obtaining music? I'm new to the iPhone, so I'm not aware of the options besides iTunes or music streaming. I'm not interested in any pirating sites, only legitimate methods.

If you're new to iTunes, iPhone, etc you can rip your old cds into iTunes. That's how I accumulated most of my music years ago. I don't really buy music anymore unless it's a single song I like.

Reactions: Elwots

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
It's not necessarily listening to all of it, but it's good to have it installed multiple places in case something happens to your computer and backups, you still have it installed on your phone.

Also, the 256GB (not sure about the 128GB) has been shown to have faster write speeds over the 32GB. So from a performance standpoint of transferring stuff to the device, I don't know what effect this would have long term though or with apps/games.

0 effect on apps/games. only on write speeds like transferring 4K videos, restoring etc.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
They don't have signal where I work, either. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1476929005][/doublepost]
0 effect on apps/games. only on write speeds like transferring 4K videos, restoring etc.
Not really. You're bottlenecked by either USB 2.0 or wifi/internet when transferring or doing backup/restore to Mac/PC or iCloud. Real-world use, pretty much the only time it matters is when doing large file copies on internal NAND (e.g. exporting multi-GB files from one app to another).

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
They don't have signal where I work, either. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1476929005][/doublepost]
Not really. You're bottlenecked by either USB 2.0 or wifi/internet when transferring or doing backup/restore to Mac/PC or iCloud. Real-world use, pretty much the only time it matters is when doing large file copies on internal NAND (e.g. exporting multi-GB files from one app to another).
so there is 0 effect on apps and games right?

If he plays GTA san andreas on his 256 GB iphone 7 compared to a 32GB 7, there will be no difference.

If he transfers a 5 minute 4K video, it will be faster on the 256Gb.

CiccioAtSea

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Principality of Monaco
I will never understand these types of posts. Same thing with people arguing why/why not use a case or screen protector. Use what you like and what works for you. The only reason people argue about what someone else should like is because they're trying to justify their own decisions. "You do you and I'll do me."

You know... discussing...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/discuss

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
so there is 0 effect on apps and games right?

If he plays GTA san andreas on his 256 GB iphone 7 compared to a 32GB 7, there will be no difference.

If he transfers a 5 minute 4K video, it will be faster on the 256Gb.
Yeah, should be pretty negligible difference on most apps and games.

As for transfers, that depends on where he's transferring the 4K video to. From iPhone to iTunes or iCloud, bottleneck is USB or wifi/internet connection (read speeds in excess of 300MB/s on all models, iirc). It would be the same speed whether you have 32GB or 256GB. Transferring from Mac/PC to iPhone, higher capacity models may be faster depending on overhead.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah, should be pretty negligible difference on most apps and games.

As for transfers, that depends on where he's transferring the 4K video to. From iPhone to iTunes or iCloud, bottleneck is USB or wifi/internet connection (read speeds in excess of 300MB/s on all models, iirc). It would be the same speed whether you have 32GB or 256GB. Transferring from Mac/PC to iPhone, higher capacity models may be faster depending on overhead.
how does this affect me. jc. I only use my iphone for apps, games, music, basic phone stuff, some pictures, little video. I used a 64GB 6 and 6S and never even came close to 20gb used.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
6 movies at 30gb, 65gb photos, 20gb music, and the start of recording in 4K.
Seems like a total waste to me to have all of your music on your phone when you probably actually listen to .01 percent of it over the life of the phone.
When I hit shuffle all music, it's a pretty pleasant surprise to hear songs pop up that I don't normally play or listen to.

It's a total waste to me to be so limited as to what you would have on your phone available at any given moment since the space is there.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I just use apple music. Worth it to me.

as mentioned 4K videos and live photos do make a difference.

nitrocosis

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
I have a rather large music collection. I used to have several 100s of CDs (back in the days) and I have kept them on all of my devices ever since I was 18 and obtained my first laptop. This accounts for near a 100GB, however I also use Apple Music. I spend quite a bit of time underground (subway) during my commute, so I prefer not to stream.
I also just like having more storage than I need, seeing as I can't upgrade storage later on. My storage is mostly used for games and music. I don't keep many videos on my device, however I do keep my pictures (not that it's taking up much space).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.