Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
My fault because I wanted my M1 Macbook Air to be an even swap with my POS 2017 Macbook Pro trade-in and I did not want to wait for extended build time. Damn it feels so cramped and I have to tote an external samsung t7 with me. In 2021, Apple should make the default ssd 512gb. I would trade it in but Apple is not accepting M1 trade-ins yet.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
Yeah I see it can be a problem with the Macbooks. I went with the Mini this time because I don't need portability so I don't mind keeping a 1 TB T5 connected at all times, but with the amount of stuff I need to keep with me not even 512GB would be enough for me on a laptop. I agree that base models nowadays should have 512 GB of storage and 16 GB of RAM.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I don't know if they should, because 256 GB is a good fit for most people, but the 512 GB upgrade should cost at least 50% less.
Same for the 16GB of RAM. I wouldn't hesitate to buy both upgrades, but at 250 CAD each, it really takes a hit on your budget, especially because you know it's not worth so much.

It forces us to buy a base spec we don't really want, and we'll be stuck to upgrade sooner than later, or to pay a whole lot more than what it's worth.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I have 2 M1 Mac Minis, both are base models. For my usecase I'm using under 20GB of storage for user data on both.
My dad has a M1 MBA and is using under 10GB of user storage on that too.
I also have a 2015 MBA with a 256GB SSD. Under 10GB of user data on that one.

While I get that more storage is always better, like on my 15" with 1TB, I see the reasoning behind not defaulting everyone's machines to start at the "mid" storage level.

Reactions: Javi74 and motulist

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Yes and no. Entry and very top tier models have always been a dreadful value in almost every company and product line. Unless you have very minimalistic uses, it’s expected you’ll need to upgrade the base/default product (which, sticking to the Mac realm, could even be more iCloud storage). Your best best is to pick a medium configuration. There are people who can properly utilize either extreme, but that group is a small percentage. Marketers know this, of course.

Reactions: uller6

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I don't know why people think this is even ok for basic users.

If it's a primary computer (as it often is), it's a good idea to have a full local copy of all your photos. I know some general "moms" that have hundreds of GB's of kid photos/videos.

The cloud is very nice, but it's also a very smart idea to have a full local copy.

In 2021, 512 should be the base.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
You can choose. Don't complain about the choices you made. My wife is just a productivity user, I set her up with 16GB/1TB on an Air. This will last for a few years. I do a range of stuff, so it's an MBPro 16GB/2TB. The latter is already a squeeze. But "No Choice, Pal!"
I will likely upgrade in a year.
Apple offers a range, YOU make the choice.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
We all get that..
We are saying that the "range" should begin at a higher level than 256
Then people would whine more loudly about price.
I get the argument that 256 is good for many, but with the price we pay coupled with the fact that it's 2021 I feel as though there's no longer a valid excuse to keep storage @ 256gb.
Not that I wouldn’t like a higher value — especially for RAM and storage upgrades. However, “the price we pay” isn’t horribly far off from Windows laptops — not making a justification, just pointing out that evidently companies are aware consumers will pay the current prices.

MBA M1 8/256 = $999, MBA M1 8/512 = $1,249, MBP M1 8/256 = $1,299, MBP M1 8/612 = $1,499

$870

$1,600

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
You can choose. Don't complain about the choices you made. My wife is just a productivity user, I set her up with 16GB/1TB on an Air. This will last for a few years. I do a range of stuff, so it's an MBPro 16GB/2TB. The latter is already a squeeze. But "No Choice, Pal!"
I will likely upgrade in a year.
Apple offers a range, YOU make the choice.
I'm the same I just upgraded my 2014 Retina MBP to 2TB & I have around 1TB free. I use the cloud extensively for storage but still keep a lot of stuff local. My wife has a 12" Macbook with 256GB which is only half full. I think it is the thinnest & lightest MacBook ever made (weighs les than 1kg).

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I think for many general users, 256GB is still viable - especially if you've fully embraced the Apple ecosystem so you can offload photos, music and documents into iCloud. There are things that Apple could do that would help though - one of my daughters was running out of space on her MBA's 256GB SSD recently - I checked it with DaisyDisk and her local iPhone/iPad backups were taking up nearly 200 of that 256GB. I think once you're getting close to your storage capacity, MacOS should offer you suggestions and options like to delete iOS device backups and offload photos/music etc where you've not already configured it to do so.

vs40

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2016
However, “the price we pay” isn’t horribly far off from Windows laptops — not making a justification, just pointing out that evidently companies are aware consumers will pay the current prices.
You forgot about one small detail... those Windows laptops have replaceable M.2 SSD and many users intentionally buying base model to upgrade it with own SSD, because it is cheaper and/or user can already have one from previous laptop/pc.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
those Windows laptops have replaceable M.2 SSD and many users intentionally buying base model to upgrade it with own SSD

While that may be true for some it just doesn't reflect realtity for most.

Evidence? Just head over to ebay (or similar) and look at used computers of any kind (recent Windows or Apple stuff from back when upgrading was easy) and you'll find that most of them are still in the config they were bought in long ago....

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
My fault because I wanted my M1 Macbook Air to be an even swap with my POS 2017 Macbook Pro trade-in and I did not want to wait for extended build time. Damn it feels so cramped and I have to tote an external samsung t7 with me. In 2021, Apple should make the default ssd 512gb. I would trade it in but Apple is not accepting M1 trade-ins yet.

I have 2 M1 Mac Minis, both are base models. For my usecase I'm using under 20GB of storage for user data on both.
My dad has a M1 MBA and is using under 10GB of user storage on that too.
I also have a 2015 MBA with a 256GB SSD. Under 10GB of user data on that one.

While I get that more storage is always better, like on my 15" with 1TB, I see the reasoning behind not defaulting everyone's machines to start at the "mid" storage level.
I don't know if they should, because 256 GB is a good fit for most people, but the 512 GB upgrade should cost at least 50% less.
Same for the 16GB of RAM. I wouldn't hesitate to buy both upgrades, but at 250 CAD each, it really takes a hit on your budget, especially because you know it's not worth so much.

It forces us to buy a base spec we don't really want, and we'll be stuck to upgrade sooner than later, or to pay a whole lot more than what it's worth.

256GB is great for those using the system in a business wherein they're not working with video or storing a ton of content locally. I would argue that 512GB should be a minimum for anyone looking to purchase for themselves. For the MacBook Air, I think 256GB is a perfectly okay standard capacity and at that price. Same goes for the Mac mini assuming those same use cases. I think for the 13" MacBook Pro and iMac, it's too low, considering those are aimed at users who typically want to tax those systems beyond standard business PC use cases.

vs40

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2016
Evidence? Just head over to ebay (or similar) and look at used computers of any kind (recent Windows or Apple stuff from back when upgrading was easy) and you'll find that most of them are still in the config they were bought in long ago....
I'm sold my old MBP 2011 in original base configuration with 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD, because I was able to sell 16GB RAM kit in original package for better price separately and I'm used my Samsung EVO 500GB SSD in external case.

And I'm sold my sisters XPS 13 with base 256GB GB and kept Samsung EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD to use it in her new XPS 9310, which was bought with base 256GB SSD.
XPS 9310 i5+16GB+256GB was 1199€ and 1TB version was available only with i7 for 1599€.
Upgrading SSD by yourself and reusing it in the next laptop or using it as a external drive is always much cheaper than getting overpriced upgrades from laptop manufactures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.