Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vapourtrails

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2016
Did you consider the 250 SSD fusion drive over the Fusion drive? I'm looking at the same model as you but I'm torn between the two storage options. I would obviously like more storage but I'm unsure if I want to go back to a traditional hard drive after 4 years with a MacBook Pro.

Goody13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Plymouth, UK
Did you consider the 250 SSD fusion drive over the Fusion drive? I'm looking at the same model as you but I'm torn between the two storage options. I would obviously like more storage but I'm unsure if I want to go back to a traditional hard drive after 4 years with a MacBook Pro.
I did. 2TB is far too large for me and I am only using just over 100GB at the moment but my raw files are stored on a separate hard drive.

I preferred the idea of having everything in one place which I could then back up. A colleague who does a lot of hobby photography, however, has the 256GB SSD and us happy to have external drives.

I figured 128GB SSD plus balance on normal hard drive would be fine for me. My work laptop has a 7,200 RPM drive and that is much faster than my current home laptop, sufficiently so for me.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I was in the same boat a few months back. I had been using a MBP with a 500 SSD. But for my the 500 SSD was never big enough so the 250 SSD was not going to work, The 1TB SSD imac was out of my budget. All and all I am very happy with the fusion drive. I only notice a difference once in a while and then it's not a big deal

Reactions: Goody13

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But for my the 500 SSD was never big enough so the 250 SSD was not going to work, The 1TB SSD imac was out of my budget
That was my situation, I had a 256GB SSD in my MBP, but I needed an external drive to house much of my data. Long story short, in getting my new iMac (new last year), the cost of the 1TB SSD was out of range for my budget, so I opted for the 2TB Fusion drive and I've been very happy with it.

Reactions: Goody13

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
Better gp for 2TB as 1TB Fusion only comes with 24GB SSD

I'm actually curious about this now. I read that too.. but looking at my system profiler, it says I have 128GB SSD _and_ 1000GB HDD in my brand new Mac Mini 2014 (arrived yesterday from Apple).

upload_2016-7-19_21-33-25.png

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
I'm actually curious about this now. I read that too.. but looking at my system profiler, it says I have 128GB SSD _and_ 1000GB HDD in my brand new Mac Mini 2014 (arrived yesterday from Apple).

View attachment 640959

You bought a refurbished model? The joke that is 24gb ssd in 1TB fusion drive, first appeared on the update of October 2015 if I recall correctly which means the older 1TB fusion drive of 2014 had a larger ssd of 128gb.

vapourtrails

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2016
That was my situation, I had a 256GB SSD in my MBP, but I needed an external drive to house much of my data. Long story short, in getting my new iMac (new last year), the cost of the 1TB SSD was out of range for my budget, so I opted for the 2TB Fusion drive and I've been very happy with it.

How old was your ssd? I'm upgrading from a 2012 MacBook Pro. I'm guessing the newer fusion drive uses a much faster ssd.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
The 1tb fusion is pathetic and a disgrace.

It comes with a meager 24gb of SSD storage. 24gb. How sad, Apple!

It doesn't just end at insulting, and disgracing, their customers. Apple is disgracing themselves with a move like that!

It is a terrible idea to buy the 1tb fusion. Under no circumstances is it a good buy.

The 2tb fusion, when you unfuse it, is probably a better buy than the 256 SSD.

The 512 is optimal, and my personal recommendation.

If you need the storage, there is the 1tb flash option as well.

Just don't go with the 1tb fusion, it functions the same as a solo HDD.
Lot of ******** as usual ...
Have you tried a 1tb FD ?
Obviously NO!
It's a bit slower than 2tb, but it's a lot faster than pure HDD in normal usage.
But to know that, you need to test it.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Obviously NO!
It's a bit slower than 2tb, but it's a lot faster than pure HDD in normal usage.
Or even better, a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO for a pure SSD experience.

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
Obviously NO!
I have tested it, the experience is akin to a spinner.

I couldn't even tell the difference unless I was opening safari because obviously, that resides on the SSD in the demo model.

System preferences took something like 5 bounces.

Loading the applications folder was a joke

But you don't even need to test it (even though I have)

The specs speak for themselves. It has 24gb of flash storage.

And somehow in your mind that equates to "oh, not that bad".

Congratulations, you're part of the reason something like a 24gb fusion drive could even exist. Somehow there are people out there who will try and justify it, even though it is a blatant insult.

Last edited by a moderator:

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
I am using one every day, and it's never slow ...
I have 600Gb of data/apps on it, and I admit it's not as fast as full sad but, 90% of time I mainly use SSD part.
Preferences load in one bound for example ...
It's true that 2Tb FD is better, but 1Tb FD is not as bas as you say, it's very well working.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
ursa wrote:
"I'm actually curious about this now. I read that too.. but looking at my system profiler, it says I have 128GB SSD _and_ 1000GB HDD in my brand new Mac Mini 2014 (arrived yesterday from Apple)."

What you're seeing is correct.

The 2014 Mini has a "1tb fusion drive" internal setup that uses a 128gb SSD portion and a 1tb HDD portion.

The -2015- release iMacs are -different- ...

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois

It doesn't just end at insulting, and disgracing, their customers. Apple is disgracing themselves with a move like that!

It is a terrible idea to buy the 1tb fusion. Under no circumstances is it a good buy.

"It comes with a meager 24gb of SSD storage. 24gb. How sad, Apple!"

This line reminded me of a Trump Tweet----probably because of the word "sad" and the exclamation.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2019

What were the price difference were all those options?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.