Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Did anyone just catch John Ternus saying...

"making our transition nearly complete with only one product left to go, the Mac Pro"

That sound like the 27" iMac will not get updated to Apple Silicon. I hope it's not true. ?

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
USA
It almost seems like they consolidated the Mac Mini, Mac Pro and 27" iMac together as the "Mac Studio." But they probably will still update the Mac Pro eventually, but is it really needed nowadays with the new Mac Studio?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
That was my first thought as well. Especially given in how much detail they showed off the new Studio Display, its nearly a full computer itself.

My other thought is that if they do bring a larger iMac, it'll just get grouped with the existing M1 iMac, and hence the reason for mentioning 'only the Mac Pro remains'.

But then again, 24" is close to the midway point of the previous 21.5" and 27" designs.. Hmm

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Sounds like it. Unless they are not counting the 27” as a separate product? Maybe they will release an iMac Pro next year, but given the price of the Studio it sounds like it will be at least $3000 with the M1 Max.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
Sounds like end of the line for the 27" but it's Apple so who knows. My 2013 27" is still going strong after eight years but after watching that video on the Mac Studio I wouldn't be too upset if it suddenly died.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 2.07.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 2.07.46 PM.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 331

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm kind of sad about this, but also kind of like the way they're going.

Every time I've upgraded a 27" iMac I've felt annoyed to have to get rid of the perfectly good display as well.

If we can buy the 27" Studio Display just once, and be able to upgrade the Mac connected to it, it will be a lot less wasteful and possibly less expensive in the long run.

Also this is a very flexible configuration. You can use the display with a Macbook, Mac Mini, a second display on a 24" iMac, and so on. You haven't been able to use a 27" iMac as a display for anything in a long time since they got rid of target display mode.

I kind of see where they're going and it's not horrible.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
It makes sense actually. Studio + display beats the iMac 27" in any way. It's the one thing people wanted from Apple, a high performance small desktop, and finally they delivered it. So I don't see a need for a powerful iMac anymore.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
It is mixed for me. I like idea but problem for me if I replace my iMac means I have to get new keyboard with touch id and new trackpad and new monitor as well Mac studio. iMac 27 inch lot cheaper than that. Hmmm, I am very stuck about this at moment and need to think what to do next…..

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Of course it is dead (at least for the foreseable future).

How would you guys fit the M1 Ultra CPUs together with an screen in a "monitor case" of the depth of XDR display and enough heat dissipation? The answer is: you can't. At least not right now.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
It is mixed for me. I like idea but problem for me if I replace my iMac means I have to get new keyboard with touch id and new trackpad and new monitor as well Mac studio. iMac 27 inch lot cheaper than that. Hmmm, I am very stuck about this at moment and need to think what to do next…..
?

You don’t need a new trackpad / keyboard.
You’re right that a new Studio setup would cost more than the outgoing iMac, but then again the display doesn’t need to be discarded / recycled when the old iMac is obsolete. In the long run this is better - I know I’d really like to take the display in my 2011 27” iMac and convert it to a monitor...

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I mean I was waiting on an iMac 27 inch... I didn't need a "Pro" version, I would have been happy with an M1 or M2 standard chip in it, but I wanted the big monitor. I guess it doesn't sell well enough? So moving forward I guess I need an Apple Studio Display + a Mac Mini / Mac Studio / Macbook of some kind combo?

Reactions: cote32mt

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
?

You don’t need a new trackpad / keyboard.
You’re right that a new Studio setup would cost more than the outgoing iMac, but then again the display doesn’t need to be discarded / recycled when the old iMac is obsolete. In the long run this is better - I know I’d really like to take the display in my 2011 27” iMac and convert it to a monitor...

that's the way i feel. having owned iMacs since iMacs existed I ironically would have upgraded more often if I felt I wasn't wasting money replacing a "good display." I just ordered the Studio Display and will pair it with my seldom used M1 Macbook Air to replace my aging late 2015 5k iMac 27 inch. I just need to now think through the proper dock options for the Macbook as my iMac has a bunch of USB-A external hard drives connected and the aging iMac has a 1TB drive and the Macbook Air has just 512gb storage so I need to think through my options. In a weird way its liberating because I'll finally see how this configuration works for me and if I need to I'll just upgrade to a more powerful mac mini with M2 or Mac Studio down the line if I want a dedicated option that isn't tied to a laptop.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I've suddenly lost interest in a 27" imac. Not sure why I would want one over a studio ultra and display, unless the same stuff goes into the next 27 and costs way less than the bundle, which is sort of should. I guess Studio will gets it's own sub-forum here very soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.