Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
A lot of people (and I mean a LOT of people) have finally (finally) learned the meaning of "discontinued".

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I still see no reason to upgrade from my iMac Pro. Its still blazes at every task I throw at it.
I feel the same way about my 2020 iMac; it's definitely quick enough for everything I'm doing with it. I am a bit disappointed to see developers already making M1-exclusive apps though...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The question is where do people who enjoyed that awkward position go?

IMO, there were two markets for the 27" iMac:

1) Those who wanted a display larger than 21.5", but stuck with the base configs (i5, 8/16GB RAM, 256/512GB storage). For those folks, the 24" iMac is a solid replacement. Yes, the display is smaller, but not nearly as much at 24/4.5K vs. 21.5/4K.

2) Those who purchased BTO models. For those folks, a base Mac Studio and Apple Studio Display is $3500, but the iMac 5K with Intel i9 CPU and AMD 5700(XT) GPU upgrades plus 32GB would have been over $3000 and the M1 Max should be generally a better performer. And you get a much better webcam and Spatial Audio with much better speakers and you don't need to replace the entire thing when more powerful Apple Silicon SoCs are released.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haiku_Oezu

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
It is absolutely shocking. I never heard a single person imply this would happen. But it's clear Apple is confident that the 24" iMac will be enough for most consumers who want an AIO. If you need more power, get a Mac Studio.

The Studio Display really softens the blow. Pair it with an M1 Mini and you have yourself a good alternative to a new 27" iMac. However value-wise it's clearly more expensive versus the $1,800 MSP that the 27" iMac featured for years now.

Technically we are getting a 27" iMac down the road in the form of the iMac Pro 2.0. But that should be a very expensive machine.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Just yesterday I posted this in the rumor thread for the event. I personally prefer the idea of the Studio Display that I can pair with any computer, but I would have expected more of that Apple magic to warrant the Apple tax. Surprised to see the iMac 27ā€ discontinued already, not sure we will see another in the near future to be honest.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

Very interesting rumors to say the least. A couple of months ago I wrote about how Apple really needs to re-think the iMac as a concept. Here we are!

Assuming this is true, Apple have chosen to prioritize a new 27" standalone 5K display and headless "Mac Studio" over the long overdue iMac 27". This really speaks numbers. The 24" iMac is clearly not selling.

Why Apple couldn't foresee this is beyond me. The desktop used to offer so many advantages over laptops. Performance, Display Size, Storage Space, Connectivity, and so on. Today's iMac add none of that except display size. I get the exact same performance in a MacBook Air that I can bring anywhere, at which point it makes more sense to just get a separate display.

Speaking of laptops, most employees already have a company issued laptop and with working from home being a thing, people need a large screen to work on. Since Apple were crazy enough not to add Target Display functionality to the iMac, it now means that the iMac is competing with (often prioritized) work setups over expensive living space.

I would have loved to see Apple expand the functionality of the iMac to make it appealing once again. A "Surface Studio" type of device would have appealed to the creatives and content creators. An iMac serving as a "home hub" would have appealed to families all over the world. I even remember an Apple patent years back that allowed you to dock your MacBook by just sliding it into the display.

On the other hand, rumors can oftentimes get the basics right - e.g. form factors and sizing from leaked schematics, but completely misinterpret the device. We've seen it so many times. Now what if this is indeed a new iMac 27"? What if it's called iMac Studio? From the video it appears they only managed to confirm the name of the headless Mac Studio. The "Studio Display" name was just a rumor.

Looking forward to tomorrows event! :)

Kavik

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
IMO, there were two markets for the 27" iMac:

1) Those who wanted a display larger than 21.5", but stuck with the base configs (i5, 8/16GB RAM, 256/512GB storage). For those folks, the 24" iMac is a solid replacement. Yes, the display is smaller, but not nearly as much at 24/4.5K vs. 21.5/4K.

2) Those who purchased BTO models. For those folks, a base Mac Studio and Apple Studio Display is $3000, but the iMac 5K with Intel i9 CPU and AMD 5700(XT) GPU upgrades plus 32GB would have been $2800-3200. And you get a much better webcam and Spatial Audio with much better speakers.

Huh? Base Mac Studio + Studio Display will run $3598 which is around $4k with tax in most states.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
Yeah for people like me wanted 27 inch have to think and consider what do next. For me I have to decide iMac 24 inch or Mac mini with Mac studio display, or Mac studio with Mac studio display. Defo be apple display with mac for sure but which. I wonā€™t be rush ordering. I wait see reviews about Mac studio before I decide which one go for. Cheapest will be iMac 24 inch cos all in one and get new keyboard and trackpad since my current one doesnā€™t have Touch ID and trackpad still clickable one, and rechargeable batteries too.
I'm in the exact same position. I figure it's about a $900 difference* between a Studio Display + Mac mini M1 and a Studio Display + Mac Studio (Max). For that $900, there's a lot of power...but it's still $900 more than I really wanted to spend right now.

*Based on the configuration(s) that work for me.

Reactions: guitarman1996

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I'm in the exact same position. I figure it's about a $900 difference* between a Studio Display + Mac mini M1 and a Studio Display + Mac Studio (Max). For that $900, there's a lot of power...but it's still $900 more than I really wanted to spend right now.

*Based on the configuration(s) that work for me.

I'd almost wait for the M2 Mac Mini if you can at this point or get the Mac Studio now. I'm not sure the M1 is that great a deal at this point with new more powerful things on the horizon coming at the same price point likely. I have a M1 Macbook Air that I bought on a whim and didn't use much (I prefer traveling with my iPad Pro) so I'm going to pair that with the Studio Display to replace my late 2015 27 inch iMac and see how it goes. I might end up buying a Mac Studio down the line if I tire of using the laptop to power it but we will see. Glad I only have to buy the screen right now, between it and docks/stands/cables for the Macbook Air its plenty enough $$$ as it is.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Too much of a gap in price between the 24" iMac and Mac Studio plus Studio Display.

I'd almost wait for the M2 Mac Mini if you can at this point or get the Mac Studio now. I'm not sure the M1 is that great a deal at this point with new more powerful things on the horizon coming at the same price point likely.
I will continue to use my 27" 2017 Intel iMac for the foreseeable future, along with my 2014 Mac mini with 30" Apple Cinema HD Display. And when the Mac mini is updated, I'll get one of those (M2? M1 Pro?) to replace my 2014. Hopefully I can continue to use the 30" Cinema HD Display. It works well in Monterey... as long as it's plugged in directly to the Mac mini. (I get weird behavior with monitor control if I try to use the monitor through a USB hub.)

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
I'd almost wait for the M2 Mac Mini if you can at this point or get the Mac Studio now.
Yeah, I didn't say so in my post because I was focused on what's available now, but that's certainly an option I'm considering. I have several concerns about the M1 mini (including that I get hives just thinking about having a machine with only 16GB of RAM, even though I know unified memory is different -- I can't help it! Knee-jerk reaction!) and so I have had to sit myself down and explain to myself that I might have to wait this out.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
I'm so glad they got rid of the 27 inch iMac. You had to replace the whole unit when you wanted an upgrade- it was bad from an environmental perspective.
This is a much simpler option, Studio Display (or any 27-inch monitor) with the Mac Studio.
Worst take so far, which is saying a lot for MR.

Other than the pro, all of the current macs need to be "replaced" when you want an upgrade. So they're all "bad from an environmental perspective." But wait, since you're upgrading, what do you do with the old mac? Why, you sell it, of course. Now someone else has "the whole unit," and they don't have to buy a new one, thereby preventing actual environmental damage through the manufacturing process. So that's actually good from that all-important environmental perspective.

But but but what about the mini/studio? You can keep the monitor, because those never get upgraded, and that's where the real environmental perspective is anyway - in the monitor replacement, right? You only have to dispose of the apparently biodegradable headless computer!

So to sum up, it seems the environmentalism threshold when upgrading computers is right between the unupgradable mini/studio and the unupgradable AIO iMac (I guess only the 27" model ĀÆ\_( 惄)_/ĀÆ ) . Generally when the argument needs "environment" or other progressive terms of the day (like those suffixed with -ism or -phobia), it doesn't have much value other than some shallow goodfeels or etheric virtue points and otherwise are meritless.

The fact is that the AIO iMac has long been the exemplar of Apple's clean and simplified design aesthetic and, as the history of screens has shown and continues to show, bigger is very often better. The loss of a big AIO iMac runs contrary to the Apple computing standard.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I am actually excited about this, the Studio looks like it will be a perfect replacement for my iMac when I'm ready to pull that trigger. Until then, my iMac is still going strooong ...

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Worst take so far, which is saying a lot for MR.

Other than the pro, all of the current macs need to be "replaced" when you want an upgrade. So they're all "bad from an environmental perspective." But wait, since you're upgrading, what do you do with the old mac? Why, you sell it, of course. Now someone else has "the whole unit," and they don't have to buy a new one, thereby preventing actual environmental damage through the manufacturing process. So that's actually good from that all-important environmental perspective.

But but but what about the mini/studio? You can keep the monitor, because those never get upgraded, and that's where the real environmental perspective is anyway - in the monitor replacement, right? You only have to dispose of the apparently biodegradable headless computer!

So to sum up, it seems the environmentalism threshold when upgrading computers is right between the unupgradable mini/studio and the unupgradable AIO iMac (I guess only the 27" model ĀÆ\_( 惄)_/ĀÆ ) . Generally when the argument needs "environment" or other progressive terms of the day (like those suffixed with -ism or -phobia), it doesn't have much value other than some shallow goodfeels or etheric virtue points and otherwise are meritless.

The fact is that the AIO iMac has long been the exemplar of Apple's clean and simplified design aesthetic and, as the history of screens has shown and continues to show, bigger is very often better. The loss of a big AIO iMac runs contrary to the Apple computing standard.

Think you're missing the point here.
Apple is finally waking up to the fact that iMac ā€“ the product EXPLICITLY launched for low-end consumers ā€“ only needs a base 24-inch model.

If you are a rare consumer who needs 27 or 30-inch for cheap, there's the M1 Mini with your monitor of choice. The Mini is going to be refreshed too, and probably made much smaller, so what's the issue?

So yes, I stand by what I said. Monitors have a much longer lifespan than AIOs, which means they are much better for the environment. And if you want to change your setup (i.e. from 27 to 30-inch), you don't need to dump your whole machine. Objectively better.

Reactions: Ruftzooi

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
Did anyone just catch John Ternus saying...

"making our transition nearly complete with only one product left to go, the Mac Pro"

That sound like the 27" iMac will not get updated to Apple Silicon. I hope it's not true. ?
Yea... I caught that and am very confused... So are they unofficially saying there's no plan for a 27" Imac on Apple Silicon??? I'm really confused. I've got an Intel 27 that I'm annoyed with and am torn as to whether or not to get the Mac Studio....

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
well, last week I looked up the trade-in value for my 2017 27 i7 1TB SSD and it was 740.
I just re-did it, and it is down to 590

?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Yea... I caught that and am very confused... So are they unofficially saying there's no plan for a 27" Imac on Apple Silicon??? I'm really confused. I've got an Intel 27 that I'm annoyed with and am torn as to whether or not to get the Mac Studio....
well, they are discontinuing the current form factor and not transitioning it to AS, that does not mean there will not be a 27 (30) iMac (Pro) in the future ... but for now, Studio would be your option

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I'm very supposed at this as a long term iMac 27in user. I'm on my 3rd now now with my current one bought in 2017 so was looking forward to upgrading to the new M1 version this year.

What now? The Mac Studio seems crazily expensive, I just paired the cheapest one with the Mac Studio and it's ā‚¬4100! That's nuts. And the cheapest one has just 32GB of Ram and 512GB of SSD.

Maybe as folks have been saying, the Mac mini with the Studio display is the best option. I don't play games or do any video/photo editing on mine. It's mainly a work station/media content viewer.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
It is mixed for me. I like idea but problem for me if I replace my iMac means I have to get new keyboard with touch id and new trackpad and new monitor as well Mac studio. iMac 27 inch lot cheaper than that. Hmmm, I am very stuck about this at moment and need to think what to do nextā€¦..
Kinda in the same boat as you.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
well, last week I looked up the trade-in value for my 2017 27 i7 1TB SSD and it was 740.
I just re-did it, and it is down to 590
I'm keeping my 2017 i5. Still works fine, and assuming it lasts that long, it will be good for at least another several years.

you don't have to get an Apple display
Yeah, but it Just Works when you get an Apple Display. There are other issues when going with a third party display, not the least of which is the camera (and speakers, etc.).

Reactions: jz0309

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I'm kind of sad about this, but also kind of like the way they're going.

Every time I've upgraded a 27" iMac I've felt annoyed to have to get rid of the perfectly good display as well.

If we can buy the 27" Studio Display just once, and be able to upgrade the Mac connected to it, it will be a lot less wasteful and possibly less expensive in the long run.

Also this is a very flexible configuration. You can use the display with a Macbook, Mac Mini, a second display on a 24" iMac, and so on. You haven't been able to use a 27" iMac as a display for anything in a long time since they got rid of target display mode.

I kind of see where they're going and it's not horrible.
I definitely agree with this being a better direction and worthy replacement for the 27ā€ iMac. The computer shows its age before the display does typically. Bitter-sweet day for iMac fans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.