Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
What surprises me though is that the website still refers to it as iMac 24" instead of just iMac. Perhaps a sign the 27" iMac might return someday?

whitby

Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
Like a few others I looked at the trade in on my 2020 i9 27" iMac with 4 TB SSD and it is $1500. I expected around $2250 or so since I paid $4500 for it in 2020, but the trade in value has fallen like a stone. (My previous 2017 iMac had a trade in of $2250 when I upgraded to the new one in 2020). Based on that trade in I am going to stick with my iMac and give this new machine a miss for a few years. Also I have a 27" LG 5K display and you can still buy those for around $1259 which makes it a bargain when compared to the new Apple offering, so if and when I decide to move to the Mac Studio, I will probably buy the LG (not as good looking but it matches my other one).

However Apple have not made it a good proposition to upgrade and I guess an Intel based iMac is in my future for a few years more. At least I can still run VMs with Intel based Windows systems :)

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
After nearly 8 years owning my late 2014 5k iMac and waiting for the redesign, I am now not sure what to do.

While I like the idea of a ā€œheadless iMacā€ and a more affordable 27ā€ 5K monitor, the price makes me want to choke. Configuring an M1 Max with display is around $5,000 they way I would likely want to configure it. That is nearly double what I paid for my iMac.

Maybe I can sell mine and get some money to put towards the Max Studio. I could get the Mac mini and a third party display, but more than likely I will end up with the Max Studio at some pointā€¦

Reactions: jjdodders

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I'm keeping my 2017 i5. Still works fine, and assuming it lasts that long, it will be good for at least another several years.
I am planning to keep my iMac for some time, but I notice that loading simple apps like eg a browser is slower than my M1 MBA, and since I am a medium Lightroom/Photoshop user I have limited patience :)
Purely comparing SSD read/write speeds makes me jealous ...

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Yea... I caught that and am very confused... So are they unofficially saying there's no plan for a 27" Imac on Apple Silicon??? I'm really confused. I've got an Intel 27 that I'm annoyed with and am torn as to whether or not to get the Mac Studio....

Mark Gurman (very reliable) continues to say there is absolutely a new 27 iMac Pro coming later this year. He said the phrasing was because both the intel iMac Pro and now intel 27 inch regular iMac have been discontinued so the only computer being sold with intel to be replaced is the Mac Pro. The iMac Pro will relaunch as a rethought high-end device with only the high end chips (like Mac Studio) and a screen likely even more advanced (mini-LED?) than the Studio Display but all at a very, very high cost. For someone like me who wants a big screen but doesn't want to pay $4000+ I decided I need to retire my late 2015 27 iMac and use the new Apple Studio Display with my fairly unused M1 Macbook Air. If later I want to make it more of a high horsepower workstation that is still useable by others when I'm using my laptop elsewhere I might consider the Mac Mini or Mac Studio paired with it, but we will see.

COWillie

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2022
Costco still has the 2020 27" iMac in stock. I even tried ordering through Amex Membership Rewards and they were pulled.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
Did anyone just catch John Ternus saying...

"making our transition nearly complete with only one product left to go, the Mac Pro"

That sound like the 27" iMac will not get updated to Apple Silicon. I hope it's not true. ?
Yes I noticed that. I thought he was going to say iMac 27 because that is what I have been waiting for but noā€¦ ?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I personally like it better this way. I never liked being tied to the display and internals at the same time. AIO was never my type of computer.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
:(

I think it is discontinued but I still have hope...

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 2.27.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 2.48.01 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jjdodders

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Between this Mac Studio and the monitor to go along with it, I knew the 27" 5K model was dead in the water.

$110 or so for a 1TB external SSD to boot /run the OS off of and less than that for a RAM upgrade will keep my late 2015 sharp if I ever get ambitious - certainly cheaper than trying to pair a M1 Mini with 16GB of RAM together with a 4K/5K monitor.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm torn on this. It certainly seems like Apple is taking a stance that that Mac Studio and Studio display replace the 27" iMac market, but that's a huge price barrier. I don't think it's unreasonable to see the standard iMac expand to a 27" class device with an M2 or even M2 Pro.

Reactions: dizmonk

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The base model 27" iMac market is now served by the iMac (24") and the more-powerful iMac 5K BTO configs are now the realm of Mac Studio and the Studio Display.

I remain confident that we will see a 27" Apple silicon iMac, but it will be a dedicated iMac Pro model with a beastly configuration and price to match.

Given how all over the place the iMac rumors have been, I'm not sure I trust that. I'm almost more inclined to think that the "iMac Pro" is simply a 32" 6K display with mini-LED and ProMotion that will either replace the Pro Display or slot under it to pair with a Mac Studio or Mac Pro.

With the Mac Studio being so scalable, I'm not sure what an iMac Pro offers users now other than an "all in one" (which likely isn't top of mind to this market segment) or a cheaper price than the Pro Display + Mac Studio, but I don't think Apple is over concerned with the price in this market.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
My old 27" here is almost dead too. Convenient thread ?
Put my nearest future into Mac Studio now.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Presumably a Mac mini w/ M1 Pro + Studio Display would be the de-facto replacement for the old 27" iMac, but you're right that product doesn't currently exist. I'm wondering what's going to happen to the high-end Intel Mac mini that they make right now - maybe it exists as a placeholder for the M2 Pro Mac mini?
I have no doubt that we'll see an M2 Mac mini and given the thermal headroom I think Apple will either: (1) redesign the Mac mini to make a truly "mini" Mac or (2) keep the design mostly unchanged to allow scaling to the M2 Pro.

A Mac mini with M2 Pro + Studio Display could more or less replace the 27" iMac price market. I don't think we'll see a Mac mini with M2 Max as that would overlap too much with the Mac Studio unless they use thermal throttling as a marketing point, which I don't see.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Did anyone just catch John Ternus saying...

"making our transition nearly complete with only one product left to go, the Mac Pro"

That sound like the 27" iMac will not get updated to Apple Silicon. I hope it's not true. ?

I canā€™t believe the 27ā€ iMac is gone. I think it will be updated. But why must Apple play coy with its customers? Why canā€™t they just tell us whether a 27ā€ iMac is coming and roughly when? That is still the flagship product for ā€œreasonablyā€ priced Macs for regular users.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Given how all over the place the iMac rumors have been, I'm not sure I trust that. I'm almost more inclined to think that the "iMac Pro" is simply a 32" 6K display with mini-LED and ProMotion that will either replace the Pro Display or slot under it to pair with a Mac Studio or Mac Pro.

With the Mac Studio being so scalable, I'm not sure what an iMac Pro offers users now other than an "all in one" (which likely isn't top of mind to this market segment) or a cheaper price than the Pro Display + Mac Studio, but I don't think Apple is over concerned with the price in this market.

Fair points.

I like the AIO form factor, but I don't mind paying more - even $1000 more - for a Mac Studio and Apple Studio Display over having it all in an AIO. As discrete components, one does not have to worry about thermal loading and being able to carry over a solid display across, say, a decade's worth of different computing units does significantly affect the long-term lifecycle costs and RoI for the package.

I'm fine with a Mac Studio as my next Mac. I'm even fine with the Studio Display as my next monitor since I have had the exact same thing in my 2014, 2015, 2017 and now 2020 iMac 5Ks. I personally am ambivalent about 120Hz refresh and true HDR on my Mac desktop display because I have an older WOLED television for watching video (and that will be replaced this year with the Sony A95K QD-OLED) and I will be adding the Alienware QD-OLED for my PC gaming purposes.

Mind you, I will probably end up buying the Pro Display XDR if Apple does not offer a less-expensive MiniLED ProMotion 27-32" display (be it standalone or part of an iMac Pro AIO), but I don't have to. :)

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
No is not... iMac 27" with M1 max is on the way guys.
Anything is possible but Apple discontinued the 27ā€ iMac and was pretty clear about the only system that was left to upgrade was the Mac Pro.

I think the 27ā€ iMac has been replaced by the Mac mini and Mac studio with the new monitor. If you need a larger screen for general purpose computing then thatā€™s the Mac mini but if you need an iMac pro then thatā€™s the Mac studio

Reactions: robgendreau

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
I'm planning to keep my 2020 intel iMac as my last intel mac.. but had I knew this would be the last 27" iMac ever.
Too bad for people who'd been waiting for a new 27" iMac.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I canā€™t believe the 27ā€ iMac is gone. I think it will be updated. But why must Apple play coy with its customers? Why canā€™t they just tell us whether a 27ā€ iMac is coming and roughly when? That is still the flagship product for ā€œreasonablyā€ priced Macs for regular users.
Apple has never announced ahead of time plans for future products. It just doesnā€™t work that way. Thereā€™s a lot of rumors about Apple upgrading the Mac mini but thatā€™s probably going to be next year or at least later this year. Right now you can get a Mac mini and the 27ā€ monitor starting at $2298- $2498. If I remember right thatā€™s very close to what the 27ā€ iMac sold for

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I don't recall Apple ever stopping sales of iMacs when a new one was coming. The fact they have (other than bazillions of them now in the refurb store) seems to signal no more iMac 27". Period.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Mind you, I will probably end up buying the Pro Display XDR if Apple does not offer a less-expensive MiniLED ProMotion 27-32" display (be it standalone or part of an iMac Pro AIO), but I don't have to. :)

I've had the Pro Display in my cart more than once even then I have NO business getting one. If Apple had offered a mini-LED + Promotion option for the Studio Display for $2,599 I would have 100% jumped on board. If Apple releases a sub-$7K display in the future with those I may repurpose this display and upgrade. :D

Reactions: CWallace

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've had more time to digest today's announcements and I'm getting increasingly sad the 27" iMac is gone.

At work we were buying them constantly for faculty, staff (that's me!) and researchers. They're great machines from an IT perspective, all in one, easy to deploy and set up, and gorgeous huge display which makes end users happy. (including myself, both at home and work)

Now the choices are either a somewhat underpowered 24" iMac, or a display and computer combination at nearly twice the price to get into a similar performance bracket. The ease of deployment is gone, and now there's two pieces of equipment rather than one to lock down in lower security areas. Another thing is, while I might be willing to go crazy and spend the money myself on a Studio Mac + Display, I know work won't for me. I'm going to end up with a 24" iMac on my desk at best. :(

I hope Apple reconsiders on the 27" iMac. I'll be able to rustle up enough spares to keep one on my desk at work for a few more years, but they won't last forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.