Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
The language was ambiguous (deliberately?). The iMac has already started its AS journey with the 24", leaving "one more product, the Mac Pro, but that's for another time". So, technically they can do a 27" on AS if they want. Personally I think it's dead and this new Studio + Screen has replaced it.

Reactions: Malus120

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Im currently using the imac as a monitor and have been for a year-ish. Ive got a MBP but it was always just meant to be a portable option so I didn't add on extra ram or HD capacity - which is a major pain. Im a freelance textile designer so I have a lot of big photoshop files so I need the space and ram - I need decent power hence why some upgrades on a 27 imac was the perfect mix for me.
I will check out the mini tho - I take your point, I guess having to change computers is a big time consuming thing for me when I have a very busy schedule so the longevity factor is useful there too.

and as much as the imac monitor thing works ok, its a bit of a pain with cords and extra keyboard etc so I just wanted the simplicity of the brand new imac.
It’s only one extra cable but it doesn’t look as neat. If you get a new Mac make sure the apps you use are compatible with M1

Reactions: kcat74

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
It’s only one extra cable but it doesn’t look as neat. If you get a new Mac make sure the apps you use are compatible with M1
I feel they missed an opportunity to have a Mac mini variant that can be powered by the display. The display says it can provide 96 W of power, though the USB C spec can be extended to 240 W. The Mac mini has a maximum rated power of 150 W. It would be totally possible to have the option of a Mac mini that is powered directly from the display (probably for the higher demands of the Studio it would still need its own power supply though).

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have a late 2015 27" which is still in good shape, but when Monterey came out it was almost at the bottom of the list of models that would accept the update. What about the next operating system? I am not keen on the idea of the cost of the Studio setup, but I may have to go that route in the next year or two or get used to the idea of a 24". I do a lot of photography work and that is my main interest in having a 27". When it comes to Apple products I have learned to never say "never". What seems totally out of the question one month makes more sense the next.

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
the Intel imac is dead. An apple silicon imac pro will still coming.
But Apple needs to sell as many as these studio mac+display as they can until they release the bigger imac

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
It's this very comment that made me realise the 27" iMac is gone. They're very clearly trying to redirect 27" iMac users to the Mac Studio instead. That's what they want us to upgrade to. Plus the mention of the only product left to go is Mac Pro.
they want you to update to the studio combo as soon as possible until they release the imac Pro later

planetMitch

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2010
Missouri
Seriously thinking of ditching Apple for good after this crap........! I have a 2012 27" iMac that runs fine....just wanted to upgrade to latest and greatest 27" but not prepared to mortgage that house to get the Studio, oh Plus the stupidly priced display! Apple can jam it! Hello Mr Gates!
fool. It isn't about the initial price. It is about total cost of ownership and Mac wins that one every time.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
fool. It isn't about the initial price. It is about total cost of ownership and Mac wins that one every time.

Actually the soon to be realized reason for not jumping to the new processor is the lack of software. Did anyone else notice how they completely blew by any mention of more well know developers producing software for the processor but instead emphasized the iOS apps being compatible. I really don't want to return to PowerPC days where the Mac was mostly confined to the publishing world; granted it now encompasses publishing in print and web, but still. Software was hard to come by.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It almost seems like they consolidated the Mac Mini, Mac Pro and 27" iMac together as the "Mac Studio." But they probably will still update the Mac Pro eventually, but is it really needed nowadays with the new Mac Studio?
The Mac Studio probably met the needs of most people looking for a Mac Pro. Apple even put the SD card slot at the FRONT of the machine (genius!.... /s)

But there will still be an ultra niche segment that needs things like more than 128GB of RAM. That's why there will still be a Mac Pro, probably sporting 2/4/more M1 Ultras.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yesterday I was on record as saying I do not believe there will be a "Mac mini Pro" with the M1 Pro and M1 Max and up to 64GB of RAM and I still feel that is the case now that the Apple Studio has been launched and the iMac 5K has been discontinued.

But reflecting on things this morning, I hope that when the Mac mini is updated with the new form factor, in addition to M2 they also offer an M1 Pro BTO option with 16 and 32GB options. Paired with the Apple Studio Display, we would then get our lower-cost Apple silicon iMac 27" - just in two pieces instead of one.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
If we look at the iMac line, there were a couple sweet spots:
- The design of the G4, which was very pretty.
- The latest truly user serviceable intel model, which could run OSX or Windows or both at the same time, 32 or 64bit apps, had an infrared remote for iTunes & Front Row control, replaceable RAM & Drives, a magnetic display catch, a removable stand, an optical drive slot, and target display mode. Like the MBP from this era, these things are Swiss Army knives and sold like crazy.
- In 2019, when it’s pared down and trades features and serviceability for power, but can still run any OS, incl Mojave for 64 & 32bit apps, still has replaceable memory, nvme, + an extra sata bay.

After that, it lost the rest of its hardware features, lost multi OS’s, lost 32bit app support, lost the rest of its serviceable components, and Apple gave up on any illusions about being environmentally conscious or user friendly. It’s interesting to see that after these long popular journeys, even an incredibly botique, highly engineered product like the iMac, made by a company that does whatever it wants, still ends up at the same conclusion as homes, cars, and everything else, making bare-bones, limited-use disposable consumer products and selling them as luxury items. Clearly the market forces trending toward this end are greater than any company can resist, so I guess that’s the inescapable black hole of product lifecycles then. Nice that it produced some useful computers in the process.

Last edited:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Very upsetting. Who wants more wires on their desk? This was a mistake or am I in the minority of people who want a bigger screen all in one?

I'm with you but I think we're a minority (bigger & more powerful all-in-ones).

At this point, if Apple offered an M1 Pro 24" iMac, I'd take it...

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
It almost seems like they consolidated the Mac Mini, Mac Pro and 27" iMac together as the "Mac Studio." But they probably will still update the Mac Pro eventually, but is it really needed nowadays with the new Mac Studio?
I know this is subjective. But I would think Apple would do a Mac Pro replacement that far exceeds current performance - not just barely exceed.

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
what an absolute load of ********. i have been waiting for a 27" iMac since they revealed the new 24" models and this is what they do? oh just go buy a Mac Studio and a Studio display...don't forget your £200 keyboard and £100 mouse.

£4,000+ it is. Go chase yourself Apple. I'll just be sticking with PC/Windows. I really wanted to come back but forget it. I'm not buying a tiny 24" imac and i ain't buying a MacBook 14/16 because they are ridiculously expensive when all I want is a large display. Why is it those want a big display need to also buy excess cpu power, RAM capacity, and storage?

oh look i'm on the internet complaining about how expensive Apple is... so just ignore me.

I've been looking at Windows options the past number of months. is there any all-in-one PC from HP or Dell that can rival the 27in iMac?

When I got my last iMac in 2017 I chose the highest price model and it was €2749. If I pair the new studio and the display it's €4,100. That's insane and to be honest, represents Apple's greed. Since Cook took over, Apple's market value has increased by $700M per day, every day. Think about that. Every night Cook goes to bed having seen the company grow by that amount every day since 2011. It's mind boggling. Annual revenues have grow. from $108 Billion in 2011 to $365 Billion last year. There is huge pressure to sustain this. With chip shortages and now the Ukraine war, there are threats to these revenues. So Apple are steadily increasing pricing on their products to keep their margins.

Even if I paid the current Mac mini with the studio display it's still over €3,000.

Last edited:

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I've been looking at Windows options the past number of months. is there any all-in-one PC from HP or Dell that can rival the 27in iMac?
Maybe the HP Envy series.

Some models have desktop components like the 34" model:
xf7hrQP.jpg

The problem is, only a couple of companies make AiOs, and most of these have notebook components (Intel Core or Ryzen U series).

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
again, Apple confirmed that the 27" imac is dead, and it is, its removed, ...but an imac pro with 27" or higher display is still a possibility

Last edited:

deuce sluice

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
My hope going into yesterday was just that I didn't end up on the other end of it more uncertain of where I want to go for my next setup than I was coming in, and unfortunately that's exactly what happened.

I have a 2020 5k iMac. It's enough everything for me, but I would very much like to get onto an Apple Silicon something-or-other before the value of this thing craters. (Also, not going VESA mount ended up totally screwing me over, and I desperately want to move to something I can put on a real arm.) I was mentally planning for a like-for-like 27" 5k iMac in Apple Silicon to exist at some point. Now I have no idea what the right move is.

The screen is really the important thing to me. I need the "real" 2x retina nowadays, and a 27" or bigger screen. I was hoping for something bigger than 27" with mini LED and ProMotion.

The Studio combo is a little compelling, but I really only want/need an M1 Pro (I just want the media engine) and all the extra fancy business in the display (webcam, speakers) is stuff I don't need - but I also have that in my iMac and don't need it either, so whatever. I can also live with not being able to plug a second video device into an iMac but it's hard to swallow paying that much for a monitor that I can't also hook a Switch or something up to. It's a ton of money to lay out and not see any display improvement over my iMac.

I guess...if I'm holding out hope for an iMac Pro what I'd imagine / hope it'd be would be a Mac Studio, grafted onto an updated XDR display with Mini LED and ProMotion. Why would Apple sell that, though? Why wouldn't they just update the XDR display and tell people to buy whatever they want to hook it up?

Or just a "normal" 27" iMac, with the guts from a Macbook Pro (including M1 Pro option) grafted onto the back of a Studio Display. Again, why would Apple sell that now?

Reactions: fpenta
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.