Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
My hope going into yesterday was just that I didn't end up on the other end of it more uncertain of where I want to go for my next setup than I was coming in, and unfortunately that's exactly what happened.

I have a 2020 5k iMac. It's enough everything for me, but I would very much like to get onto an Apple Silicon something-or-other before the value of this thing craters. (Also, not going VESA mount ended up totally screwing me over, and I desperately want to move to something I can put on a real arm.) I was mentally planning for a like-for-like 27" 5k iMac in Apple Silicon to exist at some point. Now I have no idea what the right move is.

The screen is really the important thing to me. I need the "real" 2x retina nowadays, and a 27" or bigger screen. I was hoping for something bigger than 27" with mini LED and ProMotion.

The Studio combo is a little compelling, but I really only want/need an M1 Pro (I just want the media engine) and all the extra fancy business in the display (webcam, speakers) is stuff I don't need - but I also have that in my iMac and don't need it either, so whatever. I can also live with not being able to plug a second video device into an iMac but it's hard to swallow paying that much for a monitor that I can't also hook a Switch or something up to. It's a ton of money to lay out and not see any display improvement over my iMac.

I guess...if I'm holding out hope for an iMac Pro what I'd imagine / hope it'd be would be a Mac Studio, grafted onto an updated XDR display with Mini LED and ProMotion. Why would Apple sell that, though? Why wouldn't they just update the XDR display and tell people to buy whatever they want to hook it up?

Or just a "normal" 27" iMac, with the guts from a Macbook Pro (including M1 Pro option) grafted onto the back of a Studio Display. Again, why would Apple sell that now?
I'm in the same situation. I have a 2019 iMac which is perfectly fine but was expecting a new iMac to upgrade to. Now the only option is to get the Studio display which is the same panel that I have been looking for the past 3 years. I will try to sell my iMac and see what people is willing to pay for it. If the the sale value is good enough I may jump to the Studio + Display. If it's not, I will just wait for anything new with Mini led in the future.
I have a MBP 16" and I would hate to spend money on a 27" display and still prefer to use my MBP 16" because of the better screen...
I think the Studio Display is the Apple Display that had to be released 4 years ago instead of the LG Ultrafine.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

kiwimex

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2022
fool. It isn't about the initial price. It is about total cost of ownership and Mac wins that one every time.
I don't want a lame ass two piece over powered computer sitting on my desk. I was quite happy with my 27" AIO. I would never use the full potential of the studio, but need a larger screen for vision. Apple has created a void in the market and will suffer accordingly....! Apple might have pulled their 2020 27" stock but there's still 1000's out there available with resellers.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
IMO, there were two markets for the 27" iMac:

1) Those who wanted a display larger than 21.5", but stuck with the base configs (i5, 8/16GB RAM, 256/512GB storage). For those folks, the 24" iMac is a solid replacement. Yes, the display is smaller, but not nearly as much at 24/4.5K vs. 21.5/4K.

2) Those who purchased BTO models. For those folks, a base Mac Studio and Apple Studio Display is $3500, but the iMac 5K with Intel i9 CPU and AMD 5700(XT) GPU upgrades plus 32GB would have been over $3000 and the M1 Max should be generally a better performer. And you get a much better webcam and Spatial Audio with much better speakers and you don't need to replace the entire thing when more powerful Apple Silicon SoCs are released.

I’m in the former camp, along with many others in my office and other offices I support. While I think the 24” is an absolutely beautiful device (I have one at home), there’s no way it can replace the 27” I use at work.

Same here, went and looked at the 24in not long ago and liked it but not sure I can step down to it after using the 27in for the past 6yrs

I use the 24” at home for casual stuff, some minor catchup on work, but honestly it can’t replace the 27” after using it for 10 years.

I was really hoping the 21.5” going to 24” meant the 27” iMac was going to ~30”.

Reactions: guitarman1996

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I was really hoping the 21.5” going to 24” meant the 27” iMac was going to ~30”.
A 29-30" iMac would be a perfect match to the 24" in a consumer/prosumer oriented line. Too bad it looks like that won't happen.

That said, I would prefer lower pixel densities. I would prefer 5K in a 30" model than in a 27" model (and I own a 5K 27" iMac).

Reactions: newyorksole

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
I have been thinking about this and now believe that if there is to be an iMac Pro in the 30" range, the timing would best align with the move of the Mac Pro to Apple Silicon. And if there is a new iMac Pro, I would imagine it will be above the Mac Studio in pricing. So for those wishing for a sub $3k iMac are going to either have to move to the iMac 24", buy (keep) an previous generation Intel iMac 27" or buy the Mac Studio (whatever display they like).

Having thought about it based on what Apple now has to offer, to replace my late 27" iMac 5k I will end up getting the Mac Studio, Studio Display, m1 Max (unsure regarding 24 vs 32 Cores), 32GB RAM, 4TB SSD. Yeah, I will likely get a touch ID keyboard also.

okusai3000

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
Folks, is that worth the difference between a Base 27 iMac 2015 vs a for instance, 3.3ghz iMac 2020? I can get a good deal at amazon warehouse, but still, even selling my mac, I would have to put an extra 500 eur.

Other option is Mac mini m1 16gb ram + an LG monitor...

thanks!

Reactions: decafjava

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Folks, is that worth the difference between a Base 27 iMac 2015 vs a for instance, 3.3ghz iMac 2020? I can get a good deal at amazon warehouse, but still, even selling my mac, I would have to put an extra 500 eur.

Other option is Mac mini m1 16gb ram + an LG monitor...

thanks!
Is your 2015 screen getting pink at the edges? 2015 iMacs are notorious for this. If so, then yes. Also SSD not Fusion drive

okusai3000

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
omg! You are right!! It's very subtle, and I didn't notice until now, but yes, there it is.

Talking about performance, I'm using it with an external SSD so, its ok. However, I work a lot with parallels and that's where struggles a bit...

Last edited:
Reactions: wilberforce

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
To be clear the 27" intel iMac is dead, BUT there still could be a 27" or bigger iMac, just wait for WWDC!

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
My guess is that Apple will fill replaced the 27" iMac not with another all-in-one, but simply a M2 Mac mini plus Studio Display.

Reactions: CWallace

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
It’ll probably come back, but not at the price it was previously. My guess would be 1.999 USD for a Pro Model
My personal prediction is that when all of the dust settles in a year or two, this is what their lineup ends up looking like (can replace M2 with whatever M generation we're on at that time):

Mac mini
M2
M2 Pro

24" iMac
M2
M2 Pro

27" iMac
M2 Pro
M2 Max

Mac Studio
M2 Max
M2 Ultra

Mac Pro
M2 Ultra (x2? x4?)
I agree. That makes sense

And I think a 27” iMac would start at a minimum of 1.999 USD with the M2 Pro.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So if Apple really is going to release an "Apple Studio Display Pro" with MiniLED and ProMotion at WWDC, I expect it to cost $1999 with the base stand. Add in $1999 for a base Mac Studio and there you go - iMac Pro at $4000 as many of us were expecting.

It will just be in two pieces instead of an All-in-One.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
So if Apple really is going to release an "Apple Studio Display Pro" with MiniLED and ProMotion at WWDC, I expect it to cost $1999 with the base stand. Add in $1999 for a base Mac Studio and there you go - iMac Pro at $4000 as many of us were expecting.

It will just be in two pieces instead of an All-in-One.
It doesn't make sense.

It sounds like he just knows there is a mini-LED 27" in the supply chain, but isn't sure what it's for. If true, that would sound more like a part for an iMac Pro, not another 27" display.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It doesn't make sense.

It sounds like he just knows there is a mini-LED 27" in the supply chain, but isn't sure what it's for. If true, that would sound more like a part for an iMac Pro, not another 27" display.

It doesn't make sense, but it also does not make sense for Apple to release a standalone display without MiniLED and ProMotion and powerful standalone computer without thermal concerns only within a year release an AIO with a display that has MiniLED and ProMotion and a powerful computer that does have thermal concerns.

How I make sense of this strategy is this: Apple likes to offer enticements to spend more money to get more performance - the "Pro" models. Kind of like the old "Good | Better | Best" model. And this model applies to replacing the iMac 5K as follows:
  • "Good" is a Mac mini (M1 or M2) with the Apple Studio Display;
  • "Better" is the Mac Studio M1 Max with Apple Studio Display;
  • "Best" is Mac Studio M1 Ultra with the Apple Studio Display Pro.
Yes, they all cost more than the $1800 PoS iMac 5K configuration, but that's how Apple rolls now. Deal with it or move on, I guess. *shrug*

Last edited:

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
It doesn't make sense.

if imac 27 intel was $1799 on base configuration, the imac PRO 27 wouldn't be $1999 that cheap. That's for sure. With mini LED , 32GB ram minimum, and M1 Pro at the minimum to qualify the machine called "Pro", it would easier cost $2999 if not $3499.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
if imac 27 intel was $1799 on base configuration, the imac PRO 27 wouldn't be $1999 that cheap. That's for sure. With mini LED , 32GB ram minimum, and M1 Pro at the minimum to qualify the machine called "Pro", it would easier cost $2999 if not $3499.
Indeed. I could see that happening.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
The previous iMac Pro was $4,999 so I’d expect that price or more.

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Posters here are right, if you still want a 27in iMac, there are some serious deals in the refurb store. There is a load of them up in all kinds of configs.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Posters here are right, if you still want a 27in iMac, there are some serious deals in the refurb store. There is a load of them up in all kinds of configs.
For sure. The i7 iMac with 2TB SSD I bought in 2020 for $2900 is only $2089 on the refurb store with 1 yr warranty. Only $1799 for i7 with 1TB SSD. Pretty much the same display as the Studio, great performance. RAM upgradable to 128GB. Almost a no-brainer.
In comparison, a Mac mini (16GB, 2TB) with studio display, keyboard and mouse is $3500 :eek:o_O:eek: And in many respects less powerful.

Last edited:
Reactions: AAPLGeek

zoom25

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
The Intel iMacs do have nice deals on the Apple refurb store (currently looking at the Canadian store).

However, I've used the M1 in the MacBook Air and it's something else compared to the Intel 6 core in my MacBook Pro 2018. Yes, I know we're comparing different years and different chips with what may come in the 2020 Intel iMac desktop, but I doubt it keeps up with the Apple chips.

M1 is so fast and quiet and doesn't hang up in anything unlike my Intel. The battery on the M1 Air is insane, which isn't relevant to desktops, but tells you about efficiency.

The pricing and RAM upgradeability is enticing on the Intel iMacs, but the performance, efficiency, and noise upgrade you get with the Apple silicon is hard to ignore once you've experienced it.

If you're using it for casual use, the refurb Intel iMacs are perfect. Classic timeless silver look.

Reactions: BotchQue

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
The Intel iMacs do have nice deals on the Apple refurb store (currently looking at the Canadian store).

However, I've used the M1 in the MacBook Air and it's something else compared to the Intel 6 core in my MacBook Pro 2018. Yes, I know we're comparing different years and different chips with what may come in the 2020 Intel iMac desktop, but I doubt it keeps up with the Apple chips.

M1 is so fast and quiet and doesn't hang up in anything unlike my Intel. The battery on the M1 Air is insane, which isn't relevant to desktops, but tells you about efficiency.

The pricing and RAM upgradeability is enticing on the Intel iMacs, but the performance, efficiency, and noise upgrade you get with the Apple silicon is hard to ignore once you've experienced it.

If you're using it for casual use, the refurb Intel iMacs are perfect. Classic timeless silver look.
I have an i7 2020 iMac and a base 14" MBP M1 Pro. Their performances are comparable. Not the same, but in the same ballpark. Some things the iMac is better at, and some (more) things the M1 Pro is better at.
The 8-core i7 in the 2020 iMac is no slouch, it has a good GPU, fast SSD, and combined with ample RAM it performs remarkably well for its price. Heat is a non-issue, fan noise is essentially inaudible 99% of the time (at least for me).

Last edited:
Reactions: zoom25

kiwimex

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2022
Unfortunately there are Zero 27" I macs in the Australian refurb store.....still plenty of new stock a the resellers that are currently being discounted.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I have an i7 2020 iMac and a base 14" MBP M1 Pro. Their performances are comparable. Not the same, but in the same ballpark. Some things the iMac is better at, and some (more) things the M1 Pro is better at.
The 8-core i7 in the 2020 iMac is no slouch, it has a good GPU, fast SSD, and combined with ample RAM it performs remarkably well for its price. Heat is a non-issue, fan noise is essentially inaudible 99% of the time (at least for me).
My fans are only audible when gaming or 3D rendering. The 5700XT GPU is a beast. Been playing Elden Ring at 1440p max settings at 60fps, for example. Gets mid-40s fps at 4K so I stick with 1440p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.