Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’m planning on getting the new Mac Mini and was wondering if i could use my Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (not Thunderbolt) with it?
When the first USB-C MacBook Pros came out there was a fair bit of discussion about this. Turns out that a lot of the USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapters on the market, at least at that time, could support 1920x1080 resolution - or 4k resolution - but choked on the 2560x1440 required by that display.

This one was the most consistent one I found that would work for the Apple Cinema Display. I haven't looked in over a year, maybe all of them do it now. But if you run into trouble - just get an UpTab and that should fix it.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
When the first USB-C MacBook Pros came out there was a fair bit of discussion about this. Turns out that a lot of the USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapters on the market, at least at that time, could support 1920x1080 resolution - or 4k resolution - but choked on the 2560x1440 required by that display.

This one was the most consistent one I found that would work for the Apple Cinema Display. I haven't looked in over a year, maybe all of them do it now. But if you run into trouble - just get an UpTab and that should fix it.
Thanks a lot for the info @FreakinEurekan. That adapter is €85 on Amazon.co.uk. That's a bit more than i'd like to pay to be honest. Has anyone had any luck with other adapters? Cheers!

juanobanano

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Hi. I got the same one because of your comment but Im not getting an image. All dark, but there seems to be sound coming of the display. Same mac, same display, and same adapter as yours. Any recommendation?
Ah, really? I was going to order that one today. :mad:

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I would be careful, I just got my i7 w/ 16 gb of ram and connected it to a 27” display via HDMI 2.0 and it runs like crap. The unit runs very sluggish and is almost unusable. I’m going to try and eGPU, but I’m kinda pissed that I spent over 1k for the mini and the unit can’t even handle a single display well let alone two, that’s even worse.
This is the adapter I’m using and the lag is horrible. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075V68NVR?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2
Resolution is 3840 x 2160 @60Hz
It seems you are running 2 x 4K displays, yes? This is much harder on the iGPU than a single 2560x1440 display (that the OP asked about). Approx 4.5x as many total pixels. If you are doing any kind of scaling (e.g. looks like 2560x1440), the amount of work the GPU is doing could be 8x as much as a single 2560x1440 display due to the off-sreen frame buffer being rendered first at 5120x2880 then scaled to 3840x2160.

FearGhost

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
Cambridge, UK
Hi. I got the same one because of your comment but Im not getting an image. All dark, but there seems to be sound coming of the display. Same mac, same display, and same adapter as yours. Any recommendation?

Not sure what could be wrong? I just plugged mine in and it just worked right away. I do have the USB cable plugged into the Mac mini from the LED Cinema Display but I can't see why that would make any difference? It has worked flawlessly ever since I purchased it.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Not sure what could be wrong? I just plugged mine in and it just worked right away. I do have the USB cable plugged into the Mac mini from the LED Cinema Display but I can't see why that would make any difference? It has worked flawlessly ever since I purchased it.
I've ordered Nonda adapter you recommended @FearGhost :) I won't be opening my Mac Mini until Christmas, so i'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again mate!

Reactions: FearGhost

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Sorry for the late reply here. I can confirm that the 'Nonda' adapter that @FearGhost recommended works perfectly. Thanks for that mate!! ;) The only problem is that you loose at least one more USB-C port because of the angled connector. Not just the side with the cable but the other side also sticks out a bit and the USB-C ports are so close together that you can't plug anything into the next port. Hard to explain but just be aware that you loose 2 USB-C ports with this. Aside from that, it works perfectly.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
In can confirm that my Mac mini 2018 is working flawlessly with my Cinema Display 27". I bought a USB-C to MDP adapter from Amazon and everything works as expected. Volume and brightness keys also work fine.

how is the the 7-8 years old monitor? still vivid colors?

thinking about picking up a pair of the 24" for photography, would you recommend that?

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
The 24" version is now over 10 years old and was never offered as a TB display. I wouldn't take one for free.
Some people wouldn't take a Mac for free either but to each their own.

I have two of the 24" Cinema LED displays and they still have very good colors. If you don't need retina it is a great option for a Mac monitor. 1920x1200 with built in speakers and webcam

Reactions: arkitect

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
Some people wouldn't take a Mac for free either but to each their own.

I have two of the 24" Cinema LED displays and they still have very good colors. If you don't need retina it is a great option for a Mac monitor. 1920x1200 with built in speakers and webcam

thank you, yea i dont need retina also, im old school but 1920x1200 is plenty, espcially with a 2 monitor set up

another upside is easieron the onboard grpahics right.

Originalbitman

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2012
FWIW I’m using my 11 year old 23” Apple Cinema Display with my 2018 Mini. I was planning on using it only until I decided on a new monitor but it actually looks rather good. Still good color and contrast but at 1920x1200 of course. Hard to part with it.

Reactions: woodbine

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
I would be careful, I just got my i7 w/ 16 gb of ram and connected it to a 27” display via HDMI 2.0 and it runs like crap. The unit runs very sluggish and is almost unusable. I’m going to try and eGPU, but I’m kinda pissed that I spent over 1k for the mini and the unit can’t even handle a single display well let alone two, that’s even worse.

Wait, what inputs does the display have on it? HDMI, right? Since that is the adapter you purchased? I am wondering why you purchased an HDMI to USB-C adapter as opposed to simply running an HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the Mac mini? Not trying to be a smart Alec, just not understanding the extra adapter. What am I missing?

futurevibe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
how is the the 7-8 years old monitor? still vivid colors?

thinking about picking up a pair of the 24" for photography, would you recommend that?
I can't say because i'm not a photographer but it still looks great to me. Well, that was until i used a friends new MacBook Pro. That had a far better display.

Mill house

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2021
I'm hoping someone can help me, I have a 27" Thunderbolt Display and a 27" cinema display A1316. The cinema display works fine when connected to my 2014 MacBook Pro but will not connect to my Mac mini. Mac mini 2018 i7.

Even if the cinema display is the only display connected to the the Cinema does not switch on. It shows as a display when connected through the thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter.

Is the 27 inch cinema display in compatible with a 2018 Mac mini?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I'm hoping someone can help me, I have a 27" Thunderbolt Display and a 27" cinema display A1316. The cinema display works fine when connected to my 2014 MacBook Pro but will not connect to my Mac mini. Mac mini 2018 i7.

Even if the cinema display is the only display connected to the the Cinema does not switch on. It shows as a display when connected through the thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter.

Is the 27 inch cinema display in compatible with a 2018 Mac mini?
A Cinema Display is not a Thunderbolt device and cannot be used with the Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter. You need a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter instead. Then, connect the USB cable from the display to the computer as well and it should work.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.