Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
So then, the only way we have of knowing that the HP is 30 bit is scientific data and - umm - marketing. This thread reminds me of the audiophiles I knew in Boston. They raved about (and dropped big $$$ on) audio equipment that produced a tone range out of that which the human ear can perceive.

What I want is a set of 20/10 glasses...;)

People are funny.

Dale

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
This thread reminds me of the audiophiles I knew in Boston. They raved about (and dropped big $$$ on) audio equipment that produced a tone range out of that which the human ear can perceive.

if they were raving about speakers that go from 6Hz to 50,000kHz (or something like that) just because of that, then they were misguided (and probably not "real" audiophiles). if that's just you looking at the spec sheet and thinking that that's why it's so expensive, then you need to do research before making fun of anyone.

as for that laptop, I don't trust that it's the same spec monitor as the externals (that are reputedly better than Eizos), if the display itself is worth as much as the laptop. I'm also not gonna be using a laptop for primary editing work if I can afford a desktop. a laptop just needs a "good enough" screen.

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
the human eye can distinguish about 10 million colors ( wikipedia) , this is less than 24 bit true color (16.7 million, 256 colors or 8 bit per channel.).

This 30 bit display can show, theoretically 1073741824 colors, so many times more than we can even perceive.

For starters there's no consenus on just how many colours we can see. And consider this: what if we can see only 10 million colours, but that spectrum doesn't perfectly align with the 16.7 million an 8-bit LCD displays? If that was the case (and it is) we could make use of the greater bit-depth.

if they were raving about speakers that go from 6Hz to 50,000kHz (or something like that) just because of that, then they were misguided (and probably not "real" audiophiles).

There's evidence on this topic — anecdotal, at least — that humans can perceive frequencies beyond what we can demonstrably hear.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
For starters there's no consenus on just how many colours we can see. And consider this: what if we can see only 10 million colours, but that spectrum doesn't perfectly align with the 16.7 million an 8-bit LCD displays? If that was the case (and it is) we could make use of the greater bit-depth.
True to an extend, you might be able to see parts of the spectrum but you still cannot differentiate or see the other parts :)... Don't get me wrong I am all for this and I would love to have one in big size ... but i still fail to see the hype about it being a truly professional screen because someone "needs it" :D

Pointless discussion... oh well.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Discussing this with you is pointless. What are your credentials?
I have showed my website, what do you do?
I've been working with color for a long time, how about you?
Wow, you take this awfully serious. I don't need to show you any credentials (nor do you), this is a discussion on the internet.
Yes, that laptop kills your monitor not even mentioning your MBP
with a joke of the graphics and power.
I've spent about 2.5~3 months on the road last year and I need a computer. So (less) weight trumps power every time for me. For the type of money I've spent on my MacBook Pro, I could have also gotten a Mac Pro or a fully-speced iMac if I wanted to.

When traveling, a 3.5 kg (+ power adapter) wouldn't kill my laptop, it would kill my back. And I'd be ticked off that I couldn't work for very long ;)

If that HP laptop works for you, I'm happy that there is a machine for you.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
So then, the only way we have of knowing that the HP is 30 bit is scientific data and - umm - marketing.
As I understand, in very high-end monitors made for color proofing, the extra bits are used so that you're able to calibrate your screen more accurately. Whether that makes a difference, I have no idea. Many audiophiles also claim shelling out $$$ for that special cable makes a perceptible (let alone measurable) difference.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Except in the MB line, Apple uses some of the better displays in its products when compared to other manufactures. Are they always the best? No, but they are generally far from the worst and almost always better than any other manufactures base offerings.

To the OP, if the laptop display is the SINGLE most important feature to you then this HP laptop is probably what you want to get. For many (all?) people a single feature is not enough, especially in a laptop. There is always weight, battery life, performance, size, build quality, and ergonomics to take into consideration just to name a few. Apple laptops, while not perfect, have generally done a good job and balancing the many features that make a solid, complete laptop. IMHO, that's what makes them pro machines.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
if they were raving about speakers that go from 6Hz to 50,000kHz (or something like that) just because of that, then they were misguided (and probably not "real" audiophiles). if that's just you looking at the spec sheet and thinking that that's why it's so expensive, then you need to do research before making fun of anyone.

My apologies. But this was what I experienced from audio buffs in Boston circa 1975. And price shouldn't have been mentioned. It was stats that these guys seemed to be impressed with. We're talking vinyl here. I'm sure any good stereo these days is better than what was around then. But I'm no expert.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.