Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Good news! In iOS 8.3 beta you no longer need to wait for the cursor to blink to 3D touch and control the cursor. It now seems to work consistently for me regardless of how long I wait after typing. This is a BIG improvement for me!

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
If you learn the right technique, touchpad mode works consistently 100% of the time. Problem is, Apple doesn't teach the finer points of using it. I had do do some looking around for tips to figure it out. Do it this way:

• Bring up the keyboard and let the cursor start blinking
  • Place your thumb lightly on the keyboard, hold it there, then do the equivalent of a "mouse click" by briefly applying more pressure then releasing (without lifting your thumb off the display). That activates touchpad mode.
  • With only a light touch, slide your thumb around to move the cursor.
  • To enter selection mode, do the "mouse click" again, then lightly slide to select text. Or you can do repeated "mouse clicks" to toggle select word, select paragraph, selection mode off.
This approach works for me perfectly all the time.
I think you got it figured out! I've been trying this and it's working pretty well. Waiting for the blink didn't really work. Nice job.
[doublepost=1455042233][/doublepost]
Good news! In iOS 8.3 beta you no longer need to wait for the cursor to blink to 3D touch and control the cursor. It now seems to work consistently for me regardless of how long I wait after typing. This is a BIG improvement for me!
I must assume you mean 9.3? That's great news.

Last edited:
Reactions: redman042

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I think you got it figured out! I've been trying this and it's working pretty well. Waiting for the blink didn't really work. Nice job.
[doublepost=1455042233][/doublepost]
I must assume you mean 9.3? That's great news.

Yeah I meant to type 9.3.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Glad to hear it. It's a great feature, but a missed opportunity on Apple's part to show people how to use it. I am not sure why they are so against embedded tutorials, or even a page that pops up after a major update to take you to some quick walkthrough videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.