Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbbobbb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Apple does not make a backlit keyboard for use on Macs. I have tried both the Satechi and the Logitech MX with for me, a clear winner with the Logitech.

Two problems:
1) Neither keyboard will work upon boot with FileVault turned on.
2) I am going to miss the fingerprint reader on my Apple keyboard. Very cool to use Safari and have password logins to website using my fingerprint.

Are there any 3rd party keyboards that work upon boot with FileVault on?
Are there any 3rd party keyboards that have fingerprint readers that work with MacOS like the Apple keyboard does? Or are there any just plain standalone fingerprint readers that can Bluetooth/wired work on a Mac?

Thanks.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Apple's keyboard is the ONLY device that has the fingerprint reader... because it's tied to the secure enclave of the OS. They're not likely to allow access to it to any manufacturer of any type of device. It's too much of a security risk.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
To my knowledge, there is no workaround on the fingerprint part. I've given up on it in favor of a 3rd party keyboard. I miss it, but not enough to suffer the Magic Keyboards.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

I'm going to guess that the answer to your questions above is, "no", to all of them.

However, if you still have the Logitech keyboard, questions -- something to try, won't hurt anything...

If you connect the charging cable to the Logitech keyboard, and plug it into a USB port on the Mac, what happens if you THEN power off (all the way off), and then, power back on?

Does the keyboard then behave as if it were "a wired keyboard", and let you enter the necessary password(s)?

bbbobbb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Thanks MacGizmo and TStafford.

I am on the fence here right now keeping the magic keyboard and the Logi MX both active. For typing the Logi is much better than the magic KB adding backlit makes it a better keyboard overall. Ditching Filevault since this is a home system that is not portable.

I am going to experiment with putting the Apple KB slid under my monitors upside down so I can get to the fingerprint reader easier. Wonder if it works upside down or will I have to re-learn my fingerprint....

bbbobbb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
OP:

I'm going to guess that the answer to your questions above is, "no", to all of them.

However, if you still have the Logitech keyboard, questions -- something to try, won't hurt anything...

If you connect the charging cable to the Logitech keyboard, and plug it into a USB port on the Mac, what happens if you THEN power off (all the way off), and then, power back on?

Does the keyboard then behave as if it were "a wired keyboard", and let you enter the necessary password(s)?

Fishrrman - that's a good idea. I am not going to test this since I haven't turned on FileVault and to do that there is a lot of time to encrypt and then turning it off as well.

Nevertheless thanks for the suggestion.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I have used a few different bluetooth keyboards over the years and never had any issue entering passwords on restart with any of them. I keep my Macbook closed on my desk most of the time and it takes a second for them to connect but once they do i can enter passwords without a problem. And yes, I use filevault. I currently have a Logitech MX Mechanical, ProtoArc EK01, and Logitech K518 I rotate through and none have that issue.

bbbobbb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I have used a few different bluetooth keyboards over the years and never had any issue entering passwords on restart with any of them. I keep my Macbook closed on my desk most of the time and it takes a second for them to connect but once they do i can enter passwords without a problem. And yes, I use filevault. I currently have a Logitech MX Mechanical, ProtoArc EK01, and Logitech K518 I rotate through and none have that issue.

Interesting Venom600, I had issues on my iMac Intel (retired). Now I am using a Mini M2 Pro. I just did not want to go through the encrypt/decrypt torture without seeking advice.

This is what I find at Satechi's website for their Slim X3:

"FileVault adds an additional layer of encryption to your computer as a security measure. Due to this, when your computer is restarted or booted after a shutdown, FileVault will actually disable ALL Bluetooth enabled devices, not allowing you to type in your password once prompted. The only devices that will still work upon restart are those that are proprietary to Apple, as those devices have preprogrammed firmware, allowing the keyboard to be recognised by the computer even though FileVault is enabled. For third party Bluetooth devices the only way to get the computer to read these devices upon restart would be to turn off FileVault entirely."

And this at Logitech:

"ATTENTION: FILEVAULT
FileVault is an encryption system available on some Mac computers. When enabled, it might prevent Bluetooth® devices from connecting with your computer if you have not yet logged in. If you have FileVault enabled, we recommend using the provided USB receiver to use your keyboard."

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I have filevault on for sure. I turned the computer all the way off, then opened the lid to boot it, and closed it. I was able to use my Logitech MX Mechanical Mini keyboard, my Protoark EK01, and my Logitech K518 bluetooth keyboards without issue to enter my password and login.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have filevault on for sure. I turned the computer all the way off, then opened the lid to boot it, and closed it. I was able to use my Logitech MX Mechanical Mini keyboard, my Protoark EK01, and my Logitech K518 bluetooth keyboards without issue to enter my password and login.
It will work if using the USB RF dongle. The Mac doesn't know that the keyboard ins't physically plugged in. For bluetooth connections though, those will be disabled until logged in (except for Apple's own keyboards).

ger19

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
I saw a video where the guy took the fingerprint reader mechanicals (including the battery) out of a Magic Keyboard and put them in a box he printed with his 3D printer to create a stand alone reader. It was an interesting project and it worked, but it is way beyond my abilities. Still, it would be great if Apple sold a stand alone fingerprint reader.

At this point, I'm more inclined to try taping the Magic Keyboard under my desk to use the reader that way.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It will work if using the USB RF dongle. The Mac doesn't know that the keyboard ins't physically plugged in. For bluetooth connections though, those will be disabled until logged in (except for Apple's own keyboards).

I don’t use dongles. The Logitech keyboards don’t even work with anything but bluetooth.

bob_zz123

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2017
I have the Logitech MX Mechanical keyboard and it's backlight and wireless and works fine at the Filevault login window. I use the USB receiver rather than Bluetooth (As I can pair my Logitech mouse to it as well). It doesn't really take up an extra port as far as I notice because I have it plugged into a downstream port on my USB-C monitor. So no extra ports taken up on my Mac itself.

But when I used the Logitech K380 (a Bluetooth non-backlit keyboard) it worked at the Filevault login window too (Albeit took a second or two to wake up and "connect"). I had a Keychron keyboard for a while too which used Bluetooth and also had no issues with Filevault.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I don’t use dongles. The Logitech keyboards don’t even work with anything but bluetooth.
Wait. You mean the USB-C port and the USB Bolt Receiver that I use with no problem (along with Bluetooth) are a figment of my imagination?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.