Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I have a 9th gen iPad, and I want a cover to protect the screen while the iPad is not in use, and more importantly- to fold back to let it stand on its own and on a table. I borrowed the Apple smart cover that my wife has on hers, and it works perfectly for this.

My only issue is I'd prefer not to spend $40 or $50 for one as the going rate is for the current Apple smart cover or the older leather one for the 10.2" iPad Pro (which does fit the 9th gen).

I took a look at third party covers on Amazon, and all of them have a back piece that snaps onto the iPad, and I don't want that- I want something just like the Smart Cover that is just one piece, sticks to the side of the iPad magnetically and is just one piece covering the screen.

Are there any third party covers out there that are like this- exact replicas of Apple's Smart Cover?

Thanks!

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I don't recall seeing any copies of the Smart Cover.

These Smart Covers originally came out for the iPad Pro 10.5 back in 2017. My advice would be to search in Google for iPad Pro 10.5 Smart Cover and click on the shopping tab. I'm sure you will find someone selling genuine, new-old stock, Smart Covers at a reasonable price.

If that doesn't work, try searching for iPad Air 3rd generation Smart Cover.

I'm in the UK and managed to find one for £16 in hardly any time. There's plenty of choice.

You can also try searching for the product number, e.g. MU7P2ZM/A for the Charcoal one.

Last edited:
Reactions: jm31828

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I've never seen any 3rd party ones back when I had an iPad Air 2, and still don't see any for the newer iPad models that support it. Maybe its unique design is protected by some patent, preventing 3rd parties from copying it.

Perhaps keep an eye on the Amazon Warehouse. This is how I've always bought my Apple iPhone cases and Apple Watch bands at a nice discount, and they've always looked brand new. I'm guessing these are just returns where someone didn't like the color, or they bought the wrong thing. Might even get lucky and get an unopened one. Best Buy also has cheaper open-box ones that should be in great condition.

Reactions: jm31828

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Thanks for the advice!
I took a look at eBay and found that I can get brand new Apple Smart Covers for $19.99, which isn't bad- so I might go that route, as the cheapest ones I have seen on Amazon are $39.99. But I'll keep searching, based on some of your recommendations.

Thanks!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have a 9th gen iPad, and I want a cover to protect the screen while the iPad is not in use, and more importantly- to fold back to let it stand on its own and on a table. I borrowed the Apple smart cover that my wife has on hers, and it works perfectly for this.

My only issue is I'd prefer not to spend $40 or $50 for one as the going rate is for the current Apple smart cover or the older leather one for the 10.2" iPad Pro (which does fit the 9th gen).

I took a look at third party covers on Amazon, and all of them have a back piece that snaps onto the iPad, and I don't want that- I want something just like the Smart Cover that is just one piece, sticks to the side of the iPad magnetically and is just one piece covering the screen.

Are there any third party covers out there that are like this- exact replicas of Apple's Smart Cover?

Thanks!
There haven't been any 3rd party smartcovers since the iPad 2. (that's when they had a metal swivel hinge with magnets) As mentioned before, I suggest shopping around, especially on eBay for original Apple smartcovers. I've picked up a few of them for my iPad Mini 5 and iPad 9th gen cheap ($8-$18) in new or open-box condition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.