Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

Still working to tune my new setup, and wondering if anyone has similar issues using a non-Apple display (i.e. something other than ProDisplay XDR or LG Ultrafine).

I picked up an ASUS ProArt PA32UC display to pair with my new MP, and it just doesn't seem to want to play nice over Thunderbolt 3.

I have three displays setup, the ASUS using Thunderbolt 3, a UHD display to the HDMI 2.0 port, and a 1080p display in portrait using an Apple AV adaptor (had one lying around).

All the screens work great until I reboot, then the Thunderbolt 3-connected ASUS doesn't light up or show as connected. I have to pull the cable and reconnect, and then it shows up. Often it will re-enable the HDR mode, so I have to manually turn it off again.

I have tried connecting it to both buses on the W5700X but doesn't seem to make a difference.

At this point, I'm considering ditching TB3 and switching to a USB-C to DisplayPort cable to hopefully gain some stability, but it sucks to have to give up the USB 3.0 hub on the monitor, especially when this should be working fine.

Attachments

• IMG_8029.jpg
    IMG_8029.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 284

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Doesn't help, but I remember having similar issue with my MBP 16 connected to a CalDigit TS3+ TB3 dock which is where my LG 27UK850W connects to. It wouldn't wake up after sleeping and I had to pull the cable from the monitor.

It was a driver issue with CalDigit's dock after which I have applied the latest firmware and had zero compatibility issue.

It would be a matter of time until either Apple or Asus addresses their incompatibility. Have you checked if there was an updated firmware for your monitor?

Also do you have an ACTIVE Thunderbolt 3 cable to test if it addresses the issue? All short cables are PASSIVE, and there are only a few cables that are explicitly labeled as active and therefore expensive.

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Good thought on firmware, though I updated the monitor the day I bought it and it’s all up to date.

I’m using the TB3 cable that came with the monitor, but pretty annoyed if I had to spend a fortune on another cable for it!

Might give the USB-C to DisplayPort cable a go and see how that plays

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I have similar trouble with a 27" iMac that I work with. The connected monitor isn't anything special — it's a (seemingly now discontinued) Dell 27" 2560x1440 Thunderbolt monitor. Works great except sometimes when rebooting, I have to power cycle the monitor to for it to be recognized.

macOS tends to be picky about devices following official specs to the letter, so I'd bet that this bug is a result of third-party manufacturers not implementing Thunderbolt 100% correctly.

Reactions: DFP1989
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.