Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangepop

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2021
Thank you tsialex. I did suspect the PSU since it takes one press to make it click like its on then I'd need to hold it until it clicks again then press the power on normally to power on. When I tried to find a fix for this issue I saw it was sometimes common, if that's the right word, for some cMP like like mine 5,1 or its a faulty PSU or backplane. The DIAG_LED tests confirm the PSU is ok since I get all the ok LEDs regarding the PSU, so naturally I'm looking at the backplane since when I power it on and then press the DIAG_LED button the EFI_DONE does not light up like you said.

I'll take a closer look at the other components you mentioned and see if there is some sort or physical indication on the backplane when I pull it. Just to be sure, should I expect to see some physical indication of a failure or not really?

What test can I preform on the CPU tray? Is there an LED that should light up or something? I wouldn't mind ruling that out since I'm sure its the backplane.

Thanks again, sucky news but looking forward to resolving this. Any benefit to bringing this in to get fixed, like at apple or somewhere? I'm approaching the end of my comfort level at this point.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you tsialex. I did suspect the PSU since it takes one press to make it click like its on then I'd need to hold it until it clicks again then press the power on normally to power on. When I tried to find a fix for this issue I saw it was sometimes common, if that's the right word, for some cMP like like mine 5,1 or its a faulty PSU or backplane. The DIAG_LED tests confirm the PSU is ok since I get all the ok LEDs regarding the PSU, so naturally I'm looking at the backplane since when I power it on and then press the DIAG_LED button the EFI_DONE does not light up like you said.

I'll take a closer look at the other components you mentioned and see if there is some sort or physical indication on the backplane when I pull it. Just to be sure, should I expect to see some physical indication of a failure or not really?

What test can I preform on the CPU tray? Is there an LED that should light up or something? I wouldn't mind ruling that out since I'm sure its the backplane.

Thanks again, sucky news but looking forward to resolving this. Any benefit to bringing this in to get fixed, like at apple or somewhere? I'm approaching the end of my comfort level at this point.
Test each component with a known working Mac Pro - you don't know what is really working or not.

An extremely experienced Mac Pro technician can diagnose a Mac Pro without a working one to test each component using scopes/data loggers/multimeters using the test points provided on the several PCBs with reference parameters, everyone else can't or even have access to equipment needed/documentation.

Reactions: orangepop

orangepop

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2021
I appreciate your help. I agree with you. I'll see what I can do with my limitations then is still nothing, I'll bring it in to this place I know of in the city (LA) I just hope they are still open considering this mess we are living in. Thank you again for your help!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I appreciate your help. I agree with you. I'll see what I can do with my limitations then is still nothing, I'll bring it in to this place I know of in the city (LA) I just hope they are still open considering this mess we are living in. Thank you again for your help!
Get an used/know working Mac Pro and do the diagnose yourself. It will be cheaper than paying someone for the diagnose process and the parts needed to get it going.

Look at craigslist or recyclers in your area, I bet that you can get one reasonably cheap. You can even sell all working components on eBay and make money in the process.

Tapper

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for all the tips which helped me attempt to troubleshoot my half-dead Mac Pro 2009. It would turn on but no video or drives load. GPU LED was flashing though upon pressing the DIAG button.

Fortunately my brother sent me his 2009 Mac Pro which was collecting dust and I moved my drives into it. Like a crab finding a new shell LOL.

I was about to drive to Oakland from Los Angeles to pick it up until he suggested shipping it. I figured if the shipping cost was less than the gas to drive ($150) then it would be worth it plus the saved time. Here is what shocked me: Golden State Overnite was $40 and UPS was $230! It was a no brainer to ship it overnite for $40.

Reactions: At_Op45
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.