Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Did you do any shooting tests with medium to long exposures and compare the sharpness of the results?

actually that was my thought driving home tonight, take my camera in store, zoom, and take shot and see how steady each was. real world tests.

thats next in my buying process, but from experience more ridgid = less shake = sharper.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
In-store testing is a good thing, but remember that many times "in store" is far from "real world". One important aspect for example, there is no wind in the store, and the floor is hard and level. This is part of the reason why Gitzos are so expensive. Unless you have felt one, it's hard to describe but even after its fully extended and set up, they are still solid. No flex in the leg, even along the joints. This makes it hold up a lot better than some cheaper/lighter tripods, and that is where some of the monetary difference lies. Almost anything will hold a camera steady in a room with a solid floor and no wind, but once you get out into adverse conditions, the quality of the tripod will determine when you pack it in and go home.

Ruahrc

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
actually that was my thought driving home tonight, take my camera in store, zoom, and take shot and see how steady each was. real world tests.

thats next in my buying process, but from experience more ridgid = less shake = sharper.

Not if harmonic vibration comes into play, IMO the preceding tests are not particularly useful if they don't test actual stability. Rigidity is countered by harmonic vibration, so testing rigidity doesn't necessarily bring it all to the table.

neonkru

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2009
hi! is the manfrotto 785b good enough as a fluid head for shooting video? i would prefer a lightweight tripod for my trips and video stuffs. not doing any professional video but i would like a good tripod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.