Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I went on the ad plan and honestly, next for me is gonna be no Netflix at all because the ad plan sucks!

Reactions: nt5672

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
This is classic en-shittification.

Ramp up standard tier pricing to breaking point & then introduce an ad supported tier at the old standard tier pricing points to move price sensitive customers and begin luring in advertising revenue.

They'll keep the ad tier at the low price for some years until a significant portion of subscribers move over and reach a critical mass for most/all advertisers to sign on and locked in.

Once that happens they'll start ramping up the pricing for the ad supported plans. You'll see a $15 ad supported plan within 5 years. I'm sure of it.
You forgot the bit where the ads become more frequent and longer.

turbo79

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
Yes, our family would be included in the "40 million people". But only because Netflix involuntarily moved us from a Basic plan to their Ad-Tier plan.

So I cancelled our Netflix subscription, and plan to watch other things. Good riddance.

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
Imagine there are really 40m people out there who pay 7$+ per month for an Ad-Based subscription when they can get the highest UHD-Tier-option for roughly 6.50$ per month via Turkey, India or Pakistan.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Netflix says subscribers are twice as likely to respond to an ad compared to subscribers of other streaming services.
And how do they even know this?

I don’t have Netflix Ad tier yet (haven’t been auto downgraded), but do have Amazon’s… every time an Ad appears I take that time to get off the Apple TV, refill coffee or tea, stretch the legs and get back.

There’s no real way to “respond” to it, unless they somehow know… if I pause it to see what’s the Ar about (never)? Or if I visit related products in the same WAN? Plus the collusion, they also know that theirs “respond” more than other services.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
And how do they even know this?

I don’t have Netflix Ad tier yet (haven’t been auto downgraded), but do have Amazon’s… every time an Ad appears I take that time to get off the Apple TV, refill coffee or tea, stretch the legs and get back.

There’s no real way to “respond” to it, unless they somehow know… if I pause it to see what’s the Ar about (never)? Or if I visit related products in the same WAN? Plus the collusion, they also know that theirs “respond” more than other services.

The ads on Amazon were the final straw for me having Amazon Prime. The 'free' 2-day shipping went to 'about a week', which is no better than their actual free shipping. I let it ride for a few months, but then they announced the ads. I HATE ADS. I mean, I didn't get Prime for the TV anyway, but they raised the price again, likely because they spent too much on content I wasn't really watching anyway.

Screw it, high seas are better anyway.

BradGD

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2024

Ramp up standard tier pricing to breaking point & then introduce an ad supported tier at the old standard tier pricing points to move price sensitive customers and begin luring in advertising revenue.

They'll keep the ad tier at the low price for some years until a significant portion of subscribers move over and reach a critical mass for most/all advertisers to sign on and locked in.

Once that happens they'll start ramping up the pricing for the ad supported plans. You'll see a $15 ad supported plan within 5 years. I'm sure of it.

And then to prevent churning we'll start seeing 12-month commitments with early termination fees.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Not paying for streaming with Ads. Period. Let's see who can hold out longest.

I don't need TV, but they need subscribers, so we'll see.

Reactions: eNJayBe

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Having read the release, this was just a call to gain more advertisers. There was absolutely no mention of how many of these ad supported tier subscribers were once full paying subscribers.

How many full paying subscribers has Netflix lost?
Think they’re doing fine bud.
IMG_1342.jpeg

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Max is in a no-man's land cause they are too closely associated with adult-skewing HBO content and families don't like to pay that much monthly subscription for a network they think the entire family won't benefit from. That's why they are trying to disassociate themselves from HBO branding, while also trying to remind everyone they have HBO content.

I don’t think it's about trying to disassociate from HBO branding as much as trying to promote the broader available content on Max. The merger of WarnerMedia and Discovery led to a merger of the companies' streaming services including HBO Max, Discovery+ (most content), and the very short-lived CNN+. Those not interested in "adult-skewing" HBO content can still subscribe to Discovery+ alone, at least for now.

skit911

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
Toronto, Ontario

Netflix's ad-supported streaming tier has 40 million global monthly active users, up 35 million from a year ago, Netflix said today at its Upfront advertising presentation. Netflix has 270 million total subscribers worldwide, so the majority of its users are still on the ad-free tiers.

Netflix-Smaller-4.jpg

Netflix resisted implementing an ad-supported tier for many years, but confirmed in 2022 that it had plans to implement a cheaper option in order to boost revenue. The Standard with ads plan launched in late 2022, and it has grown more popular as Netflix has increased the pricing of its ad-free tiers.

In the United States, the Standard with ads plan is priced at $6.99 per month for HD streaming on up to two devices at one time, with all but a "few movies and TV shows available." The basic ad-free plan is $15.49 per month, while the premium plan is $22.99 per month. Netflix's ad-supported plan does not include the option to download content for offline viewing, nor does it support spatial audio.

According to Netflix, more than 40 percent of all signups in the countries where the ad-supported plan is available are for the ads plan. More than 70 percent of Netflix's ad-supported members watch Netflix content for more than 10 hours per month, and Netflix says subscribers are twice as likely to respond to an ad compared to subscribers of other streaming services.

Since Netflix launched its ad-supported tier, it has partnered with Microsoft for ads, but in 2025, it will launch an in-house ad platform.

In addition to boosting revenue through a cheaper ad-supported option, Netflix has also cracked down on password sharing. After putting an end to multi-household account use, Netflix saw strong subscriber growth and an increase in revenue.

Article Link: 40 Million People Subscribe to Netflix's Ad-Supported Tier
STOP PAYING FOR ******IFIED NETFLIX. VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET 🏴‍☠️

Chuckles55

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
Mississippi
Streaming services have become cable, the worst of both worlds. Shows get partitioned out to this service and that service and you can't afford to subscribe to them all. I did Netflix for a while to finally finish watching Dark and rewatched Seinfeld and then dropped it and went to Amazon Prime for a while. Now I've dropped it and am going to do Hulu for a while, after that who knows, but none of the services are worth subscribing to all at once. I'm doing the plan with ads, yes it sucks, but I'm not paying the extra just to be ad free, I'll just use that time for bathroom breaks, playing on my phone etc.

mikebenton

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Yes, because it's free with t-mobile account....not because I would actually pay for it. 🤷‍♂️ All these services love to share their customer subscription volumes, but then never call out how many of those are due to promotional offerings.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I spend most of my hours on YouTube hence I am subscribed to YouTube Premium. NBA fan, I am subscribed to NBA League Pass Premium. For other streaming services (movies/series) I am not proud to confess but I am using Stremio + Real Debrid.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Sure, but prices on services increase over time, due to inflation among other things. It’s not like prices of a hard disk.

Not being able to imagine other people’s viewpoint is a common thing here on and Reddit ;). But yeah, I personally wouldn’t pick it either. But you’re not “paying to watch adds”, you’re paying to watch content, with a lower price due to ads.
$23 a month is outrageous increase for the “quality” of content they’ve put out since Rona.

People moved to Netflix because of crazy cable prices with ads included. Now Netflix has become that exact thing people ran away from, but so many people feel stuck and continue to pay for it.

We cancelled January 2023 and it was the best decision overall.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
While I don't love ads by any means, I'd much rather pay $6.99/month and have a couple 30-45 second ad breaks vs pay $16/month for a service I don't watch all that much personally...

But honestly, I don't pay for it monthly. If there isn't something I'm keen to see I unsubscribe and resubscribe when something of interest drops again.

The only streaming service truly worth subscribing to is YouTube Premium imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckles55

ChedNasad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
It's funny how we are rapidly moving toward the old TV model but with a different technology now that these big streaming companies are entrenched and realized they can just start to charge more like the cable companies of yore.

tranceme

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
California, US
So, they just promoted this to get people to pay less on the ad plan? Or are they clever and rather people get on the ad plan as they actually make more money.

Funny on how they used to $7.99 with no ads. Now, you pay double with adds.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I will never watch ads. Therefore, I dropped Netflix. I’ll subscribe again when Stranger Things gets released then be done with it.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

Exactly this, and for a media company specifically it's even worse.

Now this will encourage the creation of content designed around commericals. Think things like laugh track sitcoms and even more "reality" tv.

So now not only the price but also the quality is sliding back towards basic cable.

Give it ten years or less and there will be infomercials.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I will never watch ads. Therefore, I dropped Netflix. I’ll subscribe again when Stranger Things gets released then be done with it.

Amazon including ads was the last straw for me. I was complacent about rotating subscriptions but this is too much.

Paid them the $3, watched the new episodes that they had withheld specifically for this occasion, and canceled. To be fair, they gave me the whole $3 back.

When the others start pulling this same trick, the subs start getting pulled.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
I am soon to be an ex-Netflix customer as Netflix no longer supports my 2011 Smart TV. I have to update the app but no update is available. So I can no longer watch Netflix.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016

en-shittification, and then.... more and more people move to torrent.... and then we reset again to a new model of paid content with a fair quality at a fair price.... then en-shittification creeps until.... and repeat :D

Meanwhile, I just stick with torrent all alone, getting high quality audio, high resolution, HDR, 4K, with no ads, no hardware ridiculous requirements, no sneaky snooping hardware/software (with a FOSS torrent client), no-one can delete my content, no need to hunt around on a bunch of different platforms, all for free, and giving the middle finger to all the corporate greed.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Amazing… pay to watch ads. I’m surprised those 40 million users are happy to watch ads while paying for their service.
We all paid to watch ads on cable/sat for decades. some still pay it.

Mark my words give it 5 years there will probably not be an ad-free subscription service, or it will be prohibitively expensive.

They are starting slow, getting people used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.