Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delorso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Hi all,

I’ve read through some other threads about this, but they’re all a few years old (at least), and I was wondering if there was any new intel/advice on the matter.

I have a late 2014 Mac mini used primarily for music library, photos storage and occasional web browsing. It has a 2TB Fusion Drive that is almost filled up (about 10gb available), and I imagine as a result, has gotten extremely slow in recent months. It takes forever to open the Photos library, and sluggish with the Music app as well. Just booting it up can be a dicey affair sometimes.

Assuming it’s even possible, would swapping out the Fusion Drive with a 4TB SSD solve both my speed issue and the upcoming need for more space? Are there other upgrades I could make as well? The full specs are: Processor: 2.8GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Memory: 8gb 1600 MHz DDR3, Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB, Storage: 2.12 Fusion Drive

FWIW, I would likely find an experience Mac technician to actually do this for me. I used to be able to work on these machines, but that’s when they were much easier to do so. I’d rather pay someone who knows what they’re doing than likely screw it up attempting it myself. But before I source parts, etc, I thought I’d check in here to see if this is a fool’s errand. Thanks!

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Assuming it’s even possible, would swapping out the Fusion Drive with a 4TB SSD solve both my speed issue and the upcoming need for more space?
Keep in mind the Fusion Drive is two separate drives which appear as a single drive via software. Both can be upgraded. It is recommended to not create Fusion Drives from upgraded components.

Nothing else is upgradable without swapping out the motherboard for one with different soldered components.

Will solve your speed issue? Most likely.

Delorso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Keep in mind the Fusion Drive is two separate drives which appear as a single drive via software. Both can be upgraded. It is recommended to not create Fusion Drives from upgraded components.

Nothing else is upgradable without swapping out the motherboard for one with different soldered components.

Will solve your speed issue? Most likely.
Thanks! So does that mean there's room for 2 SSDs in there? Would installing 2, 2TB drives be better than a single 4TB for any reason you can think of?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
So does that mean there's room for 2 SSDs in there? Would installing 2, 2TB drives be better than a single 4TB for any reason you can think of?
Yes. Follow the link I posted for capacity and prices for both types of SSD components. Whether two drives is better than one.. only you can decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.