Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MXMV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
Hey everyone, I recently bought a used 2010 mac pro to upgrade and use for work.

New Specs are
- 3.46 GHz W3690
- RX580 8 BRAM
- 512 GB SSD
- 32 GB RAM

The Problem
Upon turning it on, it chimes but does not send a signal to the moniter, it simply says searching for signal but sounds like it's booting up correctly

It is currently connected to a 2012 Apple cinema display that works flawless with my MacBook, and I have tried multiple different cables.

I've tried switching everything back to the original hardware and various combinations of new and old with no luck

The SSD is completely Blank so I don't know if that's the problem.

If anyone can help me get this beast up and running I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Danny

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hey everyone, I recently bought a used 2010 mac pro to upgrade and use for work.

New Specs are
- 3.46 GHz W3690
- RX580 8 BRAM
- 512 GB SSD
- 32 GB RAM

The Problem
Upon turning it on, it chimes but does not send a signal to the moniter, it simply says searching for signal but sounds like it's booting up correctly

It is currently connected to a 2012 Apple cinema display that works flawless with my MacBook, and I have tried multiple different cables.

I've tried switching everything back to the original hardware and various combinations of new and old with no luck

The SSD is completely Blank so I don't know if that's the problem.

If anyone can help me get this beast up and running I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Danny
Mac Pros are very different beasts from other Macs, you will never get the display to work with your present config.
  1. RX 580 don't have pre-boot configuration support.
  2. A Mac Pro with a blank SSD won't boot, Internet Recovery is not supported. With a RX 580, you won't see anything on the screen.
Start from a createinstallmedia of Sierra. High Sierra and Mojave need firmware upgrades to be installed, seems you don't know if your Mac Pro already have the current firmware.

The easiest way to check if your Mac Pro works is to install a drive with Sierra on it, but needs to be 10.12.6 or the Display will not work, RX 580 started to be supported by it.

MXMV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
Unfortunately I do not have access to a hard drive with 10.12.6 on it

I do however still have the original red Radeon Graphics Card that I can swap back in if that can help me get it to boot.

Question: What is a createinstallmedia of Sierra? Does that mean I need to make a boot drive? I have a MacBook that I can use to download the os from if that's possible

So is there a way to see the moniter with a blank ssd but with the original Radeon GPU? or am I stuck having to find a 10.12.6 hard drive?

Thanks
- Danny

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Unfortunately I do not have access to a hard drive with 10.12.6 on it

I do however still have the original red Radeon Graphics Card that I can swap back in if that can help me get it to boot.

Question: What is a createinstallmedia of Sierra? Does that mean I need to make a boot drive? I have a MacBook that I can use to download the os from if that's possible
createinstallmedia macOS USB installer.

So is there a way to see the moniter with a blank ssd but with the original Radeon GPU? or am I stuck having to find a 10.12.6 hard drive?

Thanks
- Danny
With an AppleOEM GPU you have Preboot configuration support, and will see the grey screen and the blinking folder, nothing else.

MXMV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
Ok do I make the USB installer 10.12.6?

And how do I get the Mac into into the preboot configuration support to see the gray screen and folder?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

MXMV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
Oh OK got it, so how do I install it from the flash drive since it doesn't send a signal to the screen and I can't see what I'm doing?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Oh OK got it, so how do I install it from the flash drive since it doesn't send a signal to the screen and I can't see what I'm doing?
You are going in circles. Install an AppleOEM GPU, install Sierra, then read/follow ALL THE STEPS here:

MXMV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
Ok so I tried to make a Sierra installer but there's apparently a bug where it doesn't work as of last September so I made a high sierra usb boot drive, put the oem apple gpu back in and connected it to the apple cinema display, turned it on and held option key, but still no input on the display

Do you have any suggestions

Thanks, Danny

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Ok so I tried to make a Sierra installer but there's apparently a bug where it doesn't work

After making the installer, did you test it e.g. on your MacBook?

download here: Download macOS Sierra

Last edited:

MXMV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
It is connected via the Thunderbolt cable that comes out of the display, it works fine with my MacBook

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
The Thunderbolt Display is not compatible with the Mac Pro 4,1 or 5,1...

The Mac Pro 4,1 /5,1 got Firewire connections.
On the newer Macs Firewire was replaced by Thunderbolt.

Last edited:

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
The Thunderbolt Display is not compatible with the Mac Pro 4,1 or 5,1...

The Mac Pro 4,1 /5,1 got Firewire connections.
On the newer Macs Firewire was replaced by Thunderbolt.
While that is a true statement (and likely if it's working on a MacBook) you need to determine if it is a 27" LED Cinema Display (model MC007LL/A with minidisplayport) or a 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display (model MC914LL/A that requires a thunderbolt connection). The LED Cinema Display will work with the MacPro 4,1/5,1

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Start with a configuration that works and change one thing at a time, in the right order. Start with an apple video card connected by say dvi or hdmi to a known good monitor and put a system on a sata hard drive in one of the bays, either from a bootable usb stick or external drive. start with sierra or high sierra and then follow the steps in the guide mentioned above to install mojave

Reactions: KeesMacPro

MXMV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
Start with a configuration that works and change one thing at a time, in the right order. Start with an apple video card connected by say dvi or hdmi to a known good monitor and put a system on a sata hard drive in one of the bays, either from a bootable usb stick or external drive. start with sierra or high sierra and then follow the steps in the guide mentioned above to install mojave

Ok I have an old 2012 MacBook pro that I installed the new SSD into and installed high sierra and it's working on the MacBook. I put the SSD back in the Mac pro and connected it to a good known moniter via a Thunderbolt to hdmi adapter, currently running off of the oem apple gpu.

Turned it on and it starts up normally and chimes, but still no Display Input, what else could I be missing here??

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
a thunderbolt PCIe card

I know there are workarounds, but the OP bought a cMP that isn't yet running correctly at the moment...
You probably meant something like this:

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Ok I have an old 2012 MacBook pro that I installed the new SSD into and installed high sierra and it's working on the MacBook. I put the SSD back in the Mac pro and connected it to a good known moniter via a Thunderbolt to hdmi adapter, currently running off of the oem apple gpu.

Turned it on and it starts up normally and chimes, but still no Display Input, what else could I be missing here??
try doing what i said instead of what you did, which is totally different. get the old video card and put it alone in the mac pro and get a boot screen from the hdmi connection or figure out if your monitor even works or not .... then install high sierra on a sata drive in the mac pro tray before you even think about trying the rx580, which should work but you need a card with a boot screen first to troubleshoot. ok ? which monitor do you have, anyway ? A thunderbolt display will never work with a mac pro...

IF you have a tbolt->HDMI adapter plugged into your screen and the hdmi cable running to the mac pro video card ??? then that will not work. not ever. apologies if i guessed wrong ..

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Mac Pros are very different beasts from other Macs, you will never get the display to work with your present config.

A Mac Pro with a blank SSD won't boot, Internet Recovery is not supported. With a RX 580, you won't see anything on the screen.

Thanks tsialex. I learned this " Internet Recovery is not supported" and "Mac Pro 1,1 won't boot from USB flash drive" the hard way.
I mess-up both HDD with Mac OS installed while trying to install Windows 7 from a USB flash drive.
My Mac Pro now in the service shop to have OS re-installed....

MXMV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
While that is a true statement (and likely if it's working on a MacBook) you need to determine if it is a 27" LED Cinema Display (model MC007LL/A with minidisplayport) or a 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display (model MC914LL/A that requires a thunderbolt connection). The LED Cinema Display will work with the MacPro 4,1/5,1
Hey, so I got the Mac pro to work, installed high sierra and the rx580 and all works now,and I checked the model of the cinema display and it is indeed the thunderbolt one. Is it possible to get a thunder bolt to firewire adapter or some other way to connect the rx580 to the thunderbolt display?

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Is it possible to get a thunder bolt to firewire adapter or some other way to connect the rx580 to the thunderbolt display?

AFAIK
I'm afraid not...
There seems to be a complicated way but this involves workarounds etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.