Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
my first and still favorite L is my 135F2L, which is one of Canon's best lenses

Yes it is, a lovely lens, and very small for its focal length! Have you considered (or already bought) a 16-35L to go with it? Its size is very similar to the 135L and it gets as much praises as well ;)

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
I'm sorry if I came across harsh on the lens, I was still in a tiffle over the rant above it.

The 24-105 is a good lens, it's an L lens, it has fantastic quality, I just don't like it, but then again my first and still favorite L is my 135F2L, which is one of Canon's best lenses, period, so I have a personal high bar to compare against and I would pick my 135 over it anyday, and if I had to go wide I'd just put on my 17-40, which is also fantastic. So, I'm more personally biased against it, and I apologize if I came across calling it crap.

Dang, that was a long, run on sentence. Hope it made sense.

Oh, and bottom line... I"m jealous you can jump on a 5DII, my 20D serves me well but man I'm hungry for something newer.

Haha yeah well the 135mm is also my favorite lens, which I also own. I use the 16-35mm and the 135mm split even, and the 24-105mm the most because it's the most versatile. Indeed the 135mm is the sharpest lens that I have, especially when its aperture is wide open. My 70-200mm f2.8 gets used mostly for sports.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
President Obama's official portrait was taken on a 24-105, just FYI.
Well, maybe it was used at f/8 or at its optimal setting. Its amazing how a lens will product its result when perform at its optimal setting.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I read all of the advice in this thread, along with some other threads here and at FM, as well as numerous reviews.

My final decision was based largely on the financial aspect of the deal I was offered along with the type of photography I shoot.

I decided to go for it and trade in the 50D for the 5D Mark II. I received the new body on Friday along with the 24-105 and swapped my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for the Canon 50mm f/1.4.

I spent some time shooting indoors yesterday with the 50mm and spent a good few hours this morning outside shooting architecture with the 24-105.

I honestly couldn't be more pleased with my decision. The body feels better in my hand, the quality of the images is better (partly down to the lens, I know) and - although this might sound silly - it inspires more confidence in me. I was taking shots this morning I wouldn't have attempted in the past and doing so without giving a damn what people thought of me.

All in all, for a combination of reasons, I'm delighted.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I honestly couldn't be more pleased with my decision. The body feels better in my hand, the quality of the images is better (partly down to the lens, I know) and - although this might sound silly - it inspires more confidence in me. I was taking shots this morning I wouldn't have attempted in the past and doing so without giving a damn what people thought of me.
Well thats great news, I know some people wont agree with me on this one but I for one agree that sometime people just needs to own things they want to get confidence. And although its not the best choice but hey, if the person can afford it and it will help that person in his/her hobby, so why not :)

Cant wait for the D300s review :)

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I'm very pleased for you, TR. The D700 helped inspire a similar confidence in me, so I can relate with that.

Once you go FX, few people go back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.