Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
If you plan on shooting video with 7D invest in stabilization equipment and a Zacuto Z Finder. Tripods will do but for some real good motion footage you're going to want something like a steadicam or glidecam. Handheld really isn't an option.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
That's completely absurd. The most ridiculous thing I've read all day.

I agree; in my perfect Canon kit, I would have three bodies. First, a 5DmkII for FF goodness; second, a 1DmkIII/IV for the sheer speed and ruggedness; finally, a 7D for the crop factor.

FF is wonderful for portraiture, weddings, and landscapes, but I'd much rather have a 1.6x crop sensor for sports and other uses where I can turn my 70-200 f/2.8 into a 112-320 f/2.8. And with the 7D, I can have that length and speed without sacrificing AF or high ISO noise performance.

For me, a 1.3x crop sensor is just about perfect for most uses; turns my 17-40 f/4L into a 22-64, which is still fairly wide and a decent walkaround range, and my 70-200 becomes a 91-260, which is nice for H&S portraits at the short end and is reasonably long at the other end.

Horses for courses.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Have you seen the deal on B&H, where you can get a 50D body for around $930, and due to a current promo from Canon you also get a $500 off of Canon Pro9500 Mark II printer? This is a great deal if, by any chance, you also need a printer.

By the way, I am completely in your shoes as well. I have a delayed Christmas gift coming from my wife - as soon as I decide which camera I want. I do like 5D Mk II, but since 7D came out, I consider that as a top pick. However, the B&H deal on 50D is really great (in case you also need a printer).

As far as the lenses go, I would love to go with an L-class glass, but due to a crop factor things are a bit more tricky. The 24-105L lens is great on a FF body, but it really gets too wide for me when used with 7D. And the 16-35 doesn't offer IS - even though it is pretty pricey. The 17-55 is considered to be a great non L series lens. This would be my number one pick for 7D. The only thing is that it doesn't offer the environmental sealing of an L series lens.

Decisions, decisions....

Please keep us informed as to what you decide on doing.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I've read most of the posts on here and wanted to chime in:

Get the 7D. You already picked that which is good; it'll blow the socks of the 50D at pretty much every turn. The AF especially. I have the 5DII and LOVE LOVE LOVE it, but the AF isn't anything to get excited over.

Now, on to lenses which is where you really need to think this through. If you want to do any kind of video with the 7D, and in low light especially, it is imperative to buy at least a 2.8, preferably a 1.4-2.8 prime. Shooting video in low light at F4 just doesn't work. I'm looking into getting either the 20 2.8 or the 28 1.8 for getting nice wide shots in the dark. Both fall in the $300-$500 range.

I believe when Vincent Laforet released Reverie, he said the sweet spot for the 5DII was F2.8, which means to really take advantage of that you'll need a faster prime that you can stop down to 2.8. I have to agree with him in my limited video use thus far.

I hope this helped somewhat. You can never have a fast enough lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.