Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
At the last job I did, i suddenly realized I needed a fast lens to get some stills of the talent at location.
I was in Paris, so I ran out and got the very cheap 50mm 1.8 from Canon, as my only "proper" lens is the Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5.
I did get some descent images with that lens though.
So from what you can see, I don´t have very good glass to go with my camera.
As a camera man I do appreciate good glass, but as stills is not my main line of work I find it hard to spend the money on still lenses.
But I presume you are right and I should put my money toward some L series glass

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Don't let L-glass totally blinker you.

There's some non-L lenses that are great, and worth buying - particularly by APS-C users. Taking the 16-35 f/2.8L USM as an example, it is a great lens, but only really on a full frame body. Crop sensors remove the ultra-wide aspect of the lens, which is what you're paying a premium for.

Step in the EF-S 10-22. It isn't an L lens, but it is bloody good. Yes, the aperture is a bit slower (that's your call if it is fast enough for your work), but the optical quality is spot on. Many APS-C users swear by this lens, and it becomes the equivalent of a 16mm at the wide end. I use one on any APS-C cameras I make use of, rather than my 16-35 or 24mm.

L is great, no doubt. But look at the alternatives.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Plus, there are excellent UW lenses from Tokina and Sigma as well. I haven't seen reviews of the new Sigma (has anyone?), but according to many independent reviews, the Tokinas are not just mechanically superior, but also optically.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
Seriously, Canon needs to release some firmware/ software upgrade to the 5D-mii to have the same framerates and manual controls as the 7D for video. I can't imagine it being a hardware thing.

Also why would they cannibalize their own sales and the 5D? People and myself included might rather go for the 7D since it's cheaper and offers more video options.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I'm a filmmaker with a recent interest in photography and I'm getting a 7D. I will use the camera for my films as well. If you need the low light I'd still suggest the 5D but if not I'd go for 7D and great glass.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I guess I'm not that desperate for low light capabilities. I think the 7d would be more than enough. Specially with a 1.8 lens.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Don't let L-glass totally blinker you.

There's some non-L lenses that are great, and worth buying - particularly by APS-C users. Taking the 16-35 f/2.8L USM as an example, it is a great lens, but only really on a full frame body. Crop sensors remove the ultra-wide aspect of the lens, which is what you're paying a premium for.

Step in the EF-S 10-22. It isn't an L lens, but it is bloody good. Yes, the aperture is a bit slower (that's your call if it is fast enough for your work), but the optical quality is spot on. Many APS-C users swear by this lens, and it becomes the equivalent of a 16mm at the wide end. I use one on any APS-C cameras I make use of, rather than my 16-35 or 24mm.

L is great, no doubt. But look at the alternatives.

OP is wondering whether to move on to FF some day, so I would not be recommending crop lenses for that reason. Better buy lenses first and then upgrade the body once one has full-frame capable lenses of workable focal lengths.

Just my opinion.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
But I presume you are right and I should put my money toward some L series glass

Yes! Buy great glass first, and then choose the body according to your needs. If you already have a body, but do not have the lenses, then put your money to the front end first and only care about upgrading the body if for some reason the body you have becomes unusable.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Plus, there are excellent UW lenses from Tokina and Sigma as well. I haven't seen reviews of the new Sigma (has anyone?), but according to many independent reviews, the Tokinas are not just mechanically superior, but also optically.

I have a Sigma EX 30mm f/1.4 and it's great. Though it's not really UW lens and it's not full-frame capable, but for a crop body it's perfect.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I guess I'm not that desperate for low light capabilities. I think the 7d would be more than enough. Specially with a 1.8 lens.

If you already have a 20D, then the 7D will not be day-and-night difference so I'm guessing you will not be satisfied (unless you have great lenses to begin with).

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
OP is wondering whether to move on to FF some day, so I would not be recommending crop lenses for that reason.
Why not? I've never understood this argument: lenses retain value very well and APS-C is here to stay. You can always sell lenses on ebay or craigslist at minimal loss.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Why not? I've never understood this argument: lenses retain value very well and APS-C is here to stay. You can always sell lenses on ebay or craigslist at minimal loss.

I agree completely. Part of the frustration with buying used lenses is that they aren't really that much cheaper. But there will always be someone who will be happy to save 15-20% off of the new price, so used lenses do sell easily. I think it's best to buy the lens that works for you now, unless your move to full-frame is imminent. If the most appropriate lens for you now is a DX/EF-S lens, then think of it as a really cheap, long-term rental (assuming that you do actually go full-frame someday).

APS-C is not going away anytime soon. Those lenses will be in demand for at least the next decade.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Interesting read. This is the most relevant part for this thread:

"Even at f/11, the 7D offers *some* improvement over the 40D. Diffraction will never cause the 7D to have *worse* resolution. But in extreme circumstances (e.g. f/22+) it will only be the same, not better. At f/11, the returns will be diminished so that the 7D is only somewhat better."
Which is why I said in another thread that we won't really know if the 7D is a great camera until we all get them in our greedy little hands and start actually, you know, taking pictures with them.

Or we can dismiss the 7D out-of-hand because someone performed a little algebra and declared it to be all but useless except at apertures larger than f/5.6 or so.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I noticed the resale value on lenses. I have my own xcompany so I get the vat /sale tax back after a purchase. This tax is 25% in Norway (no, it's not a typo) so buying used is never really worth it for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.