Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astrobloke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2024
So I was looking for a 5K 27” alternative to the Apple Studio display, had considered both the LG Ultrafine and the Samsung S9 viewfinity models, found them both quite cheap on Amazon UK and elsewhere until a couple of days ago, now hard to find them anywhere in UK. I contacted Samsung who said the S9 has now been discontinued in the UK. I asked why this had happened so soon after it was released and got no answer. LG appear to have discontinued the 5K Ultrafine too in the UK. Seems very odd that both of the 5K competitors to the Studio display have been discontinued in the UK within a very short time.

Does anyone have any information as to what’s going on? Anyone else experienced this?

Second question, will I notice a real difference if I go with a 4K 27” monitor instead, don’t fancy paying £1500 for the base model in the UK. I‘m using it for editing astronomy images.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So I was looking for a 5K 27” alternative to the Apple Studio display, had considered both the LG Ultrafine and the Samsung S9 viewfinity models, found them both quite cheap on Amazon UK and elsewhere until a couple of days ago, now hard to find them anywhere in UK. I contacted Samsung who said the S9 has now been discontinued in the UK. I asked why this had happened so soon after it was released and got no answer. LG appear to have discontinued the 5K Ultrafine too in the UK. Seems very odd that both of the 5K competitors to the Studio display have been discontinued in the UK within a very short time.

Does anyone have any information as to what’s going on? Anyone else experienced this?

Second question, will I notice a real difference if I go with a 4K 27” monitor instead, don’t fancy paying £1500 for the base model in the UK. I‘m using it for editing astronomy images.
Have a look at the BenQ SW272U. Gets good reviews for photography etc. I used to sell BenQ

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006

Might mean both are getting refreshed. The Ultrafine is very long in the tooth and could do with one.

astrobloke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2024
Might mean both are getting refreshed. The Ultrafine is very long in the tooth and could do with one.
Maybe, but the Samsung was only released about 9 months ago, and has been massively discounted in recent months, presumably to shift residual stock. Seems very odd to discontinue it so soon, especially when no replacement has been announced.

gabicava83

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I'm looking to buy a couple or three ASD's. Interestingly enough, Curry's and other vendors have very limited stock. Makes me think that something new is coming out, but I was hoping to buy it (UK) before the end of the financial year.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm looking to buy a couple or three ASD's. Interestingly enough, Curry's and other vendors have very limited stock. Makes me think that something new is coming out, but I was hoping to buy it (UK) before the end of the financial year.
Where are the panels made? Could just as easily be linked to the issues with shipping or earthquakes in Asia.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Where are the panels made? Could just as easily be linked to the issues with shipping or earthquakes in Asia.
Damage to the factory due to an earthquake (or any other disaster) wouldn't warrant being "discontinued" – only delayed. This is something else.

As with most things, it probably comes down to money. My guess is that the government in the U.K. wants more of it from them than they are willing to give. But it could be that they both happen to be preparing updated versions which would require new SKUs. Who knows...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.