Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your opinion?

• Be happy with the Xs

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • Cancel Xs, Order Xs Max

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Do something else

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters

honkmaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
I am using a 6+ since 2014 and was waiting for an upgrade für quite a while.
Last Friday I ordered the Xs and AW4. My reasons for the Xs:
  • My fingers (pinky) sometimes hurt using the Plus, even I got used to it
  • The Plus often does not fit my pants, thus I am carrying it in my jacket.. annoying in summer
  • The Max is even heavier than the Plus (178g to 208g)
Despite these reason above the decision was quite spontaneously. Now, as everybody is hyping the Max and disliking the little brother, I am asking myself: Did I do the right thing?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
  • The Plus often does not fit my pants, thus I am carrying it in my jacket.. annoying in summer
Despite these reason above the decision was quite spontaneously. Now, as everybody is hyping the Max and disliking the little brother, I am asking myself: Did I do the right thing?

The correct decision is the XR. It’s targeted at 6 and 6s Plus owners.

Reactions: Orangeman13

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Last year so many were excited to go from the bigger plus to the X, now it’s the other way around This cycle is never ending. Personally I think the Max is going to be too heavy in many situations.

Reactions: fatalogic

Nextup12

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2018
I really think that the X/Xs size is the perfect balance of a larger screen whilst being pocketable and portable. I am aware the screen is not as wide as the plus but that’s the trade-off.

This is why I am going for the ‘small’ option. Like you, I want to be able to put my phone in any pocket and I don’t want it to take up too much room.

While I definitely understand the benefits of the larger phone, the cons far outweigh them for me. It really depends on why you want to change and what you’ll use it for - because people will undoubtedly tell you you’ll hate going from the plus to the X. But at the end of the day if you want a more portable phone that makes better use of the whole footprint then the Xs is the best way to go. Sounds like to me, this is what you are after.

Reactions: Brandonjr36 and PBz

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I've just gone for a second hand X to replace my 7+. I don't watch many videos of any serious length on it so it will be nice to have a big-ish screen in a sensible sized phone. The plus (and now max) are large phones that get in the way so unless you need the larger screen for something specific the XS would be fine. You can always return it if you find its too small.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
if you're ok with the smaller width of the phone then the xs will be amazing for you. The X is an AMAZING phone. coming from a 6+ which I had for two years will be a monster upgrade.
Dont worry about your purchase. the iPhone 6+ was a dog. it was way underpowered to push that display. It has not aged well over the years. IMO that was a beta product. The X was as polished phone as ever and the XS is even better.

It just comes to size if you like that you'll get a taller screen and full screen phone then you shouldn't worry. If you care about the width of the phone you might not like it and could always go xs max.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

Rilkal

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011

I am in this boat and do not know exactly what to do. I have an XS reserved but I now want to go to the store and try the MAX before I buy it.

The MAX is slightly narrower than the Plus phones though so I am wondering if that might help.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I am in this boat and do not know exactly what to do. I have an XS reserved but I now want to go to the store and try the MAX before I buy it.

The MAX is slightly narrower than the Plus phones though so I am wondering if that might help.
it is? the dimensions seem basically identical to me

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 1.56.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 1.56.32 AM.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 227

Rilkal

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
it is? the dimensions seem basically identical to me

Ahh, I must have misread. Ignore me :)

That makes my choice much harder. It's like every time I settle on the MAX, my Plus digs in to my hip or falls out of my hand or cramps while holding it.

Last edited:

Rilkal

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
Go Max, if you love Plus. Always felt that I wished the X was a little bigger. Glad it's finally happening :)

I'll have a play about with the MAX on Friday. I played with the X for the first time last weekend and was surprised how cramped it felt for such a large screen.

honkmaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
I just looked the review by The Verge, seems like the Xs is an acceptable choice. However, weird feeling. It's sad that in Germany almost no Apple stores exists, thus a tryout on day one is hard.

Rilkal

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
I just looked the review by The Verge, seems like the Xs is an acceptable choice. However, weird feeling. It's sad that in Germany almost no Apple stores exists, thus a tryout on day one is hard.

Do your phone networks have any? It's not quite the same though, here in the UK other shops lock the phones in giant great metal slabs to stop theft.

mcorleone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Florida
Honkmaster I'm in the same situation. I've gotten used to my 6 plus but it still has it's drawbacks. I held my friend's iphone X and the screen is slightly narrower than ours but it's a very acceptable alternative as the ergonomics are much better than the clunky Plus (or Max as they're calling them now) sizes.

Reactions: PBz

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
If I were near an Apple store and could wait a month I'd spend time with all three phones in the store before I made a decision. Waiting one more month shouldn't be a big deal if one had a four year old phone (or even three years old). In the meantime (or if I wasn't near a store) I'd read reviews and see what new XS owners have to say.

zetti

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2012
I feel like XR would be more for you. I currently have a 6s Plus and I will be buying the XR later this year.

mcorleone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Florida
Seeing as I may very well keep this new phone for another 4 years (esp. with the stiff tariffs coming into place), I want the OLED screen version so the XS is what it will be...

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I’ve also had the 6 Plus since 2014, I’m getting the XS Max. The screen in the regular XS model wouldn’t be worth it after using the Plus form factor.

However either decision is good for you!

lmitch6

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
WA

I think you did the right thing. I'm going from a 7 Plus to the Xs for the form factor. It's my second plus sized phone and I'm over the larger size, being able to use a phone one handed and carry it in a pants pocket easier is much more important to me after using a plus sized phone the last 3 years.

Reactions: Sebastian79

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Went into the Apple Store this weekend and tried the X and it felt too small coming from my 7+ so glad I went for the XS Max as I think the XS would be too small for me.

But then I have big hands and no pain using the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.