Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I've had my 6 Plus since launch day, and it's been a pretty great phone. I don't use it extremely heavily, but I have a question about how much capacity your battery has kept since its release date.

Mine lately has been absolutely dreadful over the last 2-3 weeks. It will be on 10%, I'll plug it in and it will jump up to 40% or something similar to that.

I'm running 9.3.2, no background app refresh on or push mail. Do I possibly have a faulty battery. Or does anybody else have a similar issue on their iPhone 6 Plus who have had it the same length of time as me?

This morning it even managed to drop 24% in 40 minutes of casual browsing in safari. After that it had about 30 minutes of playing music and it dropped to roughly 39%.

Should I just get a new battery for it or is it software based?

Thanks guys
image.png

evamoree

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2016
I've had my 6 Plus since launch day, and it's been a pretty great phone. I don't use it extremely heavily, but I have a question about how much capacity your battery has kept since its release date.

Mine lately has been absolutely dreadful over the last 2-3 weeks. It will be on 10%, I'll plug it in and it will jump up to 40% or something similar to that.

I'm running 9.3.2, no background app refresh on or push mail. Do I possibly have a faulty battery. Or does anybody else have a similar issue on their iPhone 6 Plus who have had it the same length of time as me?

This morning it even managed to drop 24% in 40 minutes of casual browsing in safari. After that it had about 30 minutes of playing music and it dropped to roughly 39%.

Thanks guys
View attachment 639428

Looks like a broken/faulty battery, especially if you use your phone a lot. Whatever you do DO NOT replace the battery without taking it to an Apple store first/talking to them on live chat/on the phone. They can find out for certain by running diagnostics on it which will pick up any battery issues (first-hand experience).

In live chat they do this by sending you a link in emails which you'd open on your phone (they'd get results and share anything picked up by the diagnostics). Then it would be your choice on what to do next. If it turns out the battery is indeed broken/faulty then I would recommend getting an official battery replacement from Apple (if your phone were to break they can refuse to fix it if you got an unofficial part put in your phone).

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Same here. Been having issues that sound similar with my 6s on 9.3.2.

Phone will shut off at 30%, then power back up, show ~25%, then immediately shut off again. Just a few minutes ago I plugged my phone in with 68% battery. Maybe 5 minutes later I checked and it already said 76%. A few minutes after that, 75%. I have a Genius Bar appointment in a little over 4 hours.

Edit: a few minutes ago my battery read 18% and the phone shut off - I plugged it in, it powered up immediately, and the meter read 26% :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: moxxham

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Thanks guys
View attachment 639428

There have been multiple threads of people getting erratic battery readings. Take it to the Apple store and have them diagnose the battery.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
I agree with the others. I've had my 6S Plus since launch day and have zero problems with the battery like you're having. Sounds like something's gone screwy and you should have it checked out by Apple.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I'm having a chat with Apple Support online at the moment.
I've never dropped my phone before, but the glass in the bottom corner had lifted a slight bit which makes me think the battery could be swelling. Seems too young to swell though?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm having a chat with Apple Support online at the moment.
I've never dropped my phone before, but the glass in the bottom corner had lifted a slight bit which makes me think the battery could be swelling. Seems too young to swell though?

It's entirely possible that the battery could be swelling. A coworker had a company issued iPhone 6 with a swelling battery. it was only a few weeks old when he noticed the screen popping out.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
So the diagnostic said that there wasn't anything abnormal with the battery, however I've still got a genius appointment because it is definitely not functing properly

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
How did your Genius Bar appointment go?
Same here. Been having issues that sound similar with my 6s on 9.3.2.

Phone will shut off at 30%, then power back up, show ~25%, then immediately shut off again. Just a few minutes ago I plugged my phone in with 68% battery. Maybe 5 minutes later I checked and it already said 76%. A few minutes after that, 75%. I have a Genius Bar appointment in a little over 4 hours.

Edit: a few minutes ago my battery read 18% and the phone shut off - I plugged it in, it powered up immediately, and the meter read 26% :eek:

Jeremy12345

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
I don't know if its normal but my battery would go 30% to 20% in a second and 10 and stay there for a while other times it would be 20% and a few seconds later 5 and would stay there or other times it would be 10% and just die and have that no battery sign and when plugged in show 10% battery

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
but the glass in the bottom corner had lifted a slight bit which makes me think the battery could be swelling.

When the screen is bulging, that's the battery swelling and pressing on the screen. My iPhone 5 did that. I used to use it plugged in all the time. Batt always at 100%. Battery swelling is caused more often than not from keeping the phone plugged in for long periods of time after it hits 100%.

Try to keep the batt between 40-80% when using it while plugged in. Lithium ion batteries last longer if not kept at an elevated charge.

Get a BELKIN F7C009Q TIMER CONSERVE SOCKET and plug your phone charger into it overnight. Set the timer for 3 hours.

image.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.