Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone 7 or 7 Plus

• Total voters

Docle888

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
On paper the 7 Plus looks all around better. Battery life, camera, screen. The only problem is I have below average sized hands. I've looked at it in store and it's just huge.

Now the only advantage for the 7 is that it's smaller, but that's a big deal for me. Fits better in my pocket, can use it one handed, etc.

Will I get used to the size of the 7 Plus even with small hands? Or should I just go safe and get the normal 7?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I'd say my hands are pretty big, and I wouldn't use anything bigger than a SE or 5.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
If your concerned about the 7+ being too big I think you already have your answer.
I love the screen size of the 7+ but for me with those large bezels around it its overall size blurs the lines between being a phone and a tablet.. and I have man sized hands :D

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
But the 1080p screen, battery life and camera! :oops:
Yes those are very good considerations .. and I'd have seriously got one myself if the 5.5 screen had been more edge to edge ;)

The last time I had a phone bigger than the 7+ Though was ...
IMG_0373.JPG

:D

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Keep in mind, it's not just how hard it is to hold it. You also have to think about if you'd want to carry a phone that large in your pocket. That's almost the biggest no-go of it for me. Not being able to comfortably use it with one hand is number 2.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I have very small hands but I use a lot of forums and I like reading. So for me getting use to a bigger device is a matter of when not if. It's not heavier than the 6s to me. So the weight was an easier transition. I can literally hold it and use Swype with one hand if I need to. Which I usually don't.

Just go with what you think you'd like. Since I'd already owned a Note II and III, I knew my ability to go to a bigger phone. I liked my 5c the most but it has zero to do with size. Now I choose the 7+ because more RAM and better camera were worthy upgrades to me. The regular 7 was not worth moving from my 6s for.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
After 3 phabs , one an iPhone 6+ I couldn't wait to get into a smaller phone. Big ones just got to be to cumbersome in all regards. Just my .02, No more for me. I have a tablet and laptop don't need a hard to carry and pocket phone. The 7 is a nice size all around

Reactions: Docle888

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
On paper the 7 Plus looks all around better. Battery life, camera, screen. The only problem is I have below average sized hands. I've looked at it in store and it's just huge.

Now the only advantage for the 7 is that it's smaller, but that's a big deal for me. Fits better in my pocket, can use it one handed, etc.

Will I get used to the size of the 7 Plus even with small hands? Or should I just go safe and get the normal 7?

It really does come down to personal preference. It also depends on what size device you are used to using. It took me a while to stick with the plus models. I went from 5s to 6 Plus and the size difference was too drastic and got a 6. Upgraded to a 6s but again got Plus fever so I got a 6s Plus and after having had the 4.7 size for a year or so, the jump to the Plus wasn't as bad that time. Once you get used to the better battery life, much better display, and a better camera, it's a no brainer for me. You just have to change how you hold the device. My hands are medium sized male hands and I have no problem navigating the Plus one handed. Reachability is your friend. Like I said it's all personal preference. The 7 has size going for it, but it also has an inferior battery life, display, and camera (still a fantastic camera though).

Reactions: Mike5254

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I started out with the 6+ for only the battery life but have adjusted to love the 5.5 inch screen. Plus I love the benefits of the Plus models that Apple doesn't put on the 4.7

But the battery life on the 7+ is awesome. My 6+ on iOS 9 didn't do bad either but when I played games, battery life shot right down. The 7+, playing games doesn't affect it much. It helps cause I play games like World of Tanks and War Robots.

Mike5254

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2016
Cincinnati and Philippines
There is a big difference between just looking and feeling.
The best suggestion coming from me, since I came from 5/5s and skipping the 6 series, is to visit the store and try the 7+ yourself. Hold it, play with it, try it on your denim front pocket (just don't forget to return it).
I use denims most of the time and I often sit forgeting the phone in my front pocket. No problem. I have no regrets getting the 7+ at all.
In regards to using the keyboard, I installed Word Flow. You'll definitely love this.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I use denims most of the time and I often sit forgeting the phone in my front pocket. No problem. I have no regrets getting the 7+ at all.
In regards to using the keyboard, I installed Word Flow. You'll definitely love this.

Now you see, this is what put me off the plus size the most. I'm not worried about holding it in my big Manly sausage fingers, but when I tried someone's 6s+ in my front pocket it felt too big and bulky especially sitting down, where the normal 6/7 just fits nice and feels comfy in the front pocket.

Reactions: Mike5254

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
QUOTE="Sunnysunnysingh, post: 24149642, member: 946809"]Go for iPhone 7 Plus you will really appreciate the extra screen real Estate with resolution/longer battery life/1GB extra ram and dual camera[/QUOTE]

Interesting. But that's not the advice you provided to me on the attachment listed below two weeks ago. So what changed between now and then? You just posted the 7 Plus was not worth the upgrade and now all of a sudden it is?

IMG_0242.PNG

Last edited:

Mike5254

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2016
Now you see, this is what put me off the plus size the most. I'm not worried about holding it in my big Manly sausage fingers, but when I tried someone's 6s+ in my front pocket it felt too big and bulky especially sitting down, where the normal 6/7 just fits nice and feels comfy in the front pocket.
I guess you're more on comfortability with the pocket size. No problem with that at all. In a way, sometimes I miss the small size too.

iPhonefreak79

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2016

I went back and forth and tried both on the 6, 6s and 7 series. At the end of the day, it made sense to stick with the plus since I don't use a comp nor a tablet. So I can sacrifice the smaller handy device. You just have to wait a week to get adjusted to it, and you can live with it.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Its hard to say. I had the Plus but went back to the regular 6S because the size and weight started to annoy me. I loved the bigger screen but the overall size was cumbersome. I have an iPad air 2 which is my main device at home.

I wish apple would make a 5 inch version. Not too small and not too big.

Reactions: burgman

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
I had the 6s+ for over a year and just got the 7 (non plus) and it feels good going back to that size. I liked the screen size of the plus for watching YouTube or playing games but for everything else I much prefer the smaller size. Better one handed use, easier to take in and out of my jeans and less cumbersome to carry at the gym.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
The same design has been used for the past few years, still amazed that this question still pops up.

Docle888

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
I ordered the plus... any tips/advice? I decided on it because I watch a lot of movies/shows on my phone and don't have a tablet.
[doublepost=1483572260][/doublepost]
I went from the 5s to 7+. You can adjust lol. But if you find it too large, just return it and go for the 7 :)
That was my idea. Verizon has a 2 week return policy, if I can't get used to the plus in a week I'll probably return it for the 7.

Mike5254

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2016
I ordered the plus... any tips/advice? I decided on it because I watch a lot of movies/shows on my phone and don't have a tablet.
[doublepost=1483572260][/doublepost]
That was my idea. Verizon has a 2 week return policy, if I can't get used to the plus in a week I'll probably return it for the 7.
Got your phone case and screen protector already? When I was still waiting for my phone to arrive, I've been checking cases at BestBuy and Walmart. Other than that, the box contain all the essentials.
Congrats on your new phone. Enjoy enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.